Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

Re: Blood everywhere!!!

Quenn Mum, I am a Princess and therefore entitled to be a napping dolt! Next time do be more considerate not to wake me with your screams. It is tiring to be royalty and I need my sleep!! Do not make me send the dogs to your room and chew up your garments for the Garden Hat Party. Though I am sorry about your silk slippers. They could not help themselves.

KathyS wrote:

Holy Mother of Pearl! 

My daughter, you are as dolty as our butler!  Did you not read what V/V has said in her letters to your brother?  Did you not read the note I just sent to your brother?  Was the ink smeared so badly on that piece of brown paper bag, I use for stationary, that you could not read a word I said?

I said I was not hurt!  I did not cut myself!  This blood was left on my Periwinkles by that woman who is an imposter!  She left blood on the gate handle, as she said she would! It is a warning!   I tell you, a warning!!

Now, she slips a note under my bedroom door!  She wants me to drink a potion!!  What does she take me for, some embecile from outtermongolishstance?

Do something beside take a nap!  Never mind, I think you may have already been slipped her nighty-night cap potion! 

This has made me very distraught!

I'll speak with you in the morning!

QMUM

debbook wrote:

I knew there was a reason I do not garden. It is dangerous, very dangerous. Mum,you must take better care. Ask yourself, what would Princess Deborah do? Why, she would take a nap so I will nap also. It will keep you safe.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

Re: Giant Pandas

Lady Choisya,

Please assure his Royal Highness that there need be no concern over pandas with warts.  For the particular panda in questin, regardelss of his diguise, is banished to the Island of Flying Monkeys in the holding of Oz.  Dame Dulcines graciously allowed the use of her land for this purpose.  All remaining pandas in the realm are being investigated to make sure none of them are in league with the nefarious one.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Haiku Contest Winners

Dame Dulcinea,

Your graciousness and willingness to share the limelight with your fellow contestants reflects well on you and shows why you won.

As far as the panda and the diabolical woman, the thought has entered my own mind as well.  I have some of our best agents, including Joe Wilson, looking into the matter.  If there is a link they will find it and report to the Royal Council. 

I still think it is of utmost importance to that we attend the Royal GardenHat Party.  I have not heard from all of our nobles, so I do feel there will be enough not going to hold the realm safe and secure. 

We may wish to visit this issue again before we leave for the voyage.  Please feel free to express anymore concerns you may have regarding this issue.

By My Own Hand,

Ryan_G

Re: God only knows what

Lady Raven,

I must say I was most pleased to return to the castle and find that you had joined our ranks.  I am honored to welcome you. 

Lady Raven, Marquessa of Shannara -- responsible for all ravens, blackbirds, crows, and redwinged blackbirds, watches over all banshees and women in white in the realm, regulates all usage of enchanted weapons

By My Own Hand,

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Re: Black birds

Rook and starlings, too.

dulcinea3

I fear I may be Bewitched!  When reading dear King Ryan's gracious reply to me, his Signature Line suddenly changed to "I am half sick of potatoes"!!!

I must Hie me to the Liquor Store, where I think I may find a Healing Potion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Grand Dame of the Land of Oz...I chuckled when I read your note..You must not remember "The After Party"after viewing "The Wizard of Oz" in 3D,last evening,you were both so happy,laughing,dancing..my son cannot hold his liquer,my Sister is the same way,and you must go to the Shop in the village "The Eye Boutique",your vision is not 20/20 any longer .The Dr is quite ancient,he was Napoleans Dr.he has many lives,like a cat..have no fear...Do you trust me?  I Remain,Victoria/Veronica
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Whittle-and-Dub.

Beloved King Bibliophile

I am indeed relieved to hear this good news - we had heard there was a banishment but I needed to see it from your fair hand. 

I am now looking forward to receiving the Press Releases for the Palace Gates, describing your goodself and each one of your delegation.  I shall myself be dressed as a Morris Dancer and will be bringing my team along to entertain Her Majesty.  Instead of the red aprons shown on this photograph, we will be wearing ones with tool pockets so that we can do some gardening between drinking our Earl Grey tea and eating our thinly cut salmon and cucumber sandwiches.  One of our number will be playing the whittle-and-dub, an instrument which is used to drive out demons and which will be useful should any pandas with warts be in the vicinity. 

Only Four Days before our meeting at Admiralty Arch!

Ever your Umble Savant

the UnLadylike Choisya.   

Ryan_G wrote:

Lady Choisya,

Please assure his Royal Highness that there need be no concern over pandas with warts.  For the particular panda in questin, regardelss of his diguise, is banished to the Island of Flying Monkeys in the holding of Oz.  Dame Dulcines graciously allowed the use of her land for this purpose.  All remaining pandas in the realm are being investigated to make sure none of them are in league with the nefarious one.

By My Own Hand,

Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic

Memo to His Royal Hingess King Ryan:

As I am now the cheif regulator of magical weapons, I took the liberty of going through our armoury, and I must say, it is a mess. No one appears to have tried any sort of even rudimentary sortage. The enchanted swords are piled next to the cursed swords, among the never-miss arrows and across from the magic machine guns. There's this jeweled dagger that I think has been following me around, a battle axe that turns molten hot whever I try to move it, and there's this big stone with a sword in it blocking the doorway. I think I may have found an inventory, but as it's all in Elvish, I can't be sure. It could be someone's grocery list for all I know.
I did find an unsual broadsword you might be interested in. The blade is carved with many fearsome and ancient runes. As far as I can make out, they say, "This blade may only be wielded by Wordsmithonia's rightful king. He who dares claim the title must first claim the sword, if he dares. Made in Taiwan." Do you want to have a look, or should I chuck it?

Yours,

Lady Raven, Marquessa of Shannara

dulcinea3

Vermontcozy wrote:
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz...I chuckled when I read your note..You must not remember "The After Party"after viewing "The Wizard of Oz" in 3D,last evening,you were both so happy,laughing,dancing..my son cannot hold his liquer,my Sister is the same way,and you must go to the Shop in the village "The Eye Boutique",your vision is not 20/20 any longer .The Dr is quite ancient,he was Napoleans Dr.he has many lives,like a cat..have no fear...Do you trust me?  I Remain,Victoria/Veronica

:smileysurprised: Um, um, um...

Not being Familiar with "The After Party", I Googlified it, and found an entry about Fur Flip-Flops.  I do not want to wear Flip-Flops, they hurt my Toes, although I am sure that the Fur is Warm.

Why cannot your Son hold his Liquor?  Has he no Hands?  If you like, have it sent to me, and I will hold it for him in my Storeroom.

You make me Tremble with your knowledge about my Eyes.  However, the Queen Mother has kindly had her Craftspeople work me Magic Reading Glasses, so I have no need to visit the Foul Witch Doctor you try to Trick me with.

Know that I am Loyal to my Royals, even when I am Bewitched with Potatoes...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3

Press Release

Be it known that Dame Dulcinea, Grand Dame of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, Poet Laureate of Wordsmithonia, will be attending HRH's Royal GardenHat Party.  The Duchess will be attired in full Good Witch regalia, similar to that of the world-famous Glinda, in sky-blue.  Her GardenHat will consist of a three-foot-high Plastic Crown, adorned by Rose-covered Trellises.  She will bear a wondrously-wrought Magic Wand, with which she will be pleased to assist Her Majesty by banishing any Frogs or Warty Pandas who appear.  She will Honor HRH by reciting a Royal Haiku, specially composed for the Occasion, with great Pomp and Ceremony.  If Her Majesty be pleased, she will also recite her Award-Winning Haiku, which secured for her her Title of Poet Laureate, and is Garden-related.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I was hoping that we could be friends.I have checked with my Sheephearder,and he has a memory of a fine young Exquisite woman that he was in love with..Can it be you,my darling.?    I must tend to my Bull,others know him as Bernard but he thinks he is Bertha,,and our poor girls are missing out on a Bully good night,if you know what I mean .He has many male bull friends..could it be?  I will have a potion from My wizard   ..Make his Maleness stand up and take notice...I must go and nap,bath and get ready for my Visiting Suitor......I am always ,Victoria

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
KathyS

My dear daughter, Princess Debbykins

Princess or not, you are not entiled to be a napping dolt!  Me, be more considerate?  I have every right to screem my head off!  I'm plagued continually with problems from these realms, and you think your mother doesn't need her everlastingsleep?  You've got another think coming, my dear Princess!  You call yourself an Inspired Scribe, and you can't even pick me up a half way decent piece of writing paper at the local WalMart!

Your dogs have not only chewed up my stationary, they have lunched on my slippers, eaten their way through a good set of number 2 pencils, and on to my revered collection of Mickey and Goofy tooth picks.  I think they need a good chew toy!

What do you think I'm made of, Mungo Beans????!  Use your allowance I give you, and replace these things immediately, or you'll be down in the basement sorting inventory of lost forks and knives from our ancestors!  AND I will take your dogs, Snork and Dork, and replace them with peas to go under your mattess!  Now sleep on that, until you can hold a civil tongue in your head!  (The next step is Ivory soap!)

p.s.  And if I see one drip of slobber from your dogs' mouths, on my beautiful gowns, there will be no telling what I will do to you!  Now, I my must tend to my scraped up knees from yesterday's fiasco in the garden!

QMummy

debbook wrote:
Quenn Mum, I am a Princess and therefore entitled to be a napping dolt! Next time do be more considerate not to wake me with your screams. It is tiring to be royalty and I need my sleep!! Do not make me send the dogs to your room and chew up your garments for the Garden Hat Party. Though I am sorry about your silk slippers. They could not help themselves.

KathyS wrote:

Holy Mother of Pearl! 

My daughter, you are as dolty as our butler!  Did you not read what V/V has said in her letters to your brother?  Did you not read the note I just sent to your brother?  Was the ink smeared so badly on that piece of brown paper bag, I use for stationary, that you could not read a word I said?

I said I was not hurt!  I did not cut myself!  This blood was left on my Periwinkles by that woman who is an imposter!  She left blood on the gate handle, as she said she would! It is a warning!   I tell you, a warning!!

Now, she slips a note under my bedroom door!  She wants me to drink a potion!!  What does she take me for, some embecile from outtermongolishstance?

Do something beside take a nap!  Never mind, I think you may have already been slipped her nighty-night cap potion! 

This has made me very distraught!

I'll speak with you in the morning!

QMUM

debbook wrote:

I knew there was a reason I do not garden. It is dangerous, very dangerous. Mum,you must take better care. Ask yourself, what would Princess Deborah do? Why, she would take a nap so I will nap also. It will keep you safe.

Ryan_G

Lady Raven,

I find the enthusiasm you have for your duties absolutely brilliant.  I am most pleased to know I put such a capable person in charge of our magical weapon armoury.    Plese be advised you have my complete permission to organize, dispose of, or aquaire any weapons you see fit.  

Thank you for the information cocerning the sword.  I believe that is the one my Great-Great-Great Grandfather King Kylryan had made as a prank on his brother, my Great-Great-Great Uncle Billfor.  I trust your judgement in this manner and will support any decision you come to concerning the sword.  I do know the Museuem of Fraudulent Hoaxes may desire it for a exhibit they are doing on Great Pranks of Wordsmithonia.

I do want you to look into a certain matter for me though.  It has come to attention that there exists a set of kobold enchanted ninja throwing stars.  From what I have heard, from a questionable fairy named Tinkerbell, when they make contact with thier chosen target the target starts singing Barry Manilow/Paul Anka/Paula Abdul songs.  I feel that such a dangerous weapon should be taken out of circulation and kept safe in our vaults.  I would much appreciate any effort you partake in to find and aquire such a weapon.

By My Own Hand,

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Dame Dulcinea,

Your loyalty is appreciate and honored.

By My Own Hand,

Ryan_G

Official Press Release From The Office Of His Royal Highness, King Ryan Of Wordsmithonia

King Ryan the Bibliophile will be attending the Royal GardenHat Party that her Royal Highness The Queen of England is throwing.  He will be accomanied by his mother, Queen Dowager Kathy, his sister Scribe Princess Deb, Dame Dulcinea of Oz, and assorted other nobles of the land of Wordsmithonia.  Details concerning the names of other nobles will be released when finalized.

His Highness will be wearing a set up dove gray premium denim slacks and sports coat, white silk long sleeve button up shirt, faux crocodile/elephant/bull frog charcoal gray Doc Martens, and a belt of the same material.  His head will be adorned by a charcoal gray premium denim baseball cap adorned with one each of dove gray roses,  white marigolds, soft pink calla lilites, lavendar lady slippers, and pale blue pitcher plants.

Denim was chosen by his designers for the rugged versatility, which will be needed when actual gardening work is done.

KathyS

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

To All of the Realm:

I would like to offer my warm regards to Lady Dulcinea our new Poet Laureat of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  I know she will represent us well in coming events.

I would also like to say goodjob to Madame Carmen our correspondent winner.  She will be give both the statue of Erato and the jade/mother-of-pearl laurel crown.

By My Own Hand,

My dear Sire,

The Honor with which I have been endowed is almost Overwhelming!  I umbly accept it and will Endeavor to be a Worthy Representative of our great Land.

I also offer my Congratulations to Madame Carmen on her great Accomplishment.

I would be Remiss if I were not to also note that Queen Mother Kathy and Princess Deb also submitted worthy Haikus which garnered as many Votes as the winning ones.  In fact, Queen Mother Kathy had Two.  Also, each of these worthy Royals had Multiple Haikus that received votes, unlike my Umble Self, who only had One, although I submitted a perhaps Excessive Amount.

I must admit that my Great Joy is not untinged by the Great Uneasiness I feel at the mysterious and unsettling Events now transpiring in our great Kingdom.  I even have my Suspicions that the Panda who has been seen skulking around the Wooded Areas of our Land is the Agent of the Questionable Lady, and has been sent her to sow Discord among us.  Perhaps it is their Evil Design to prevent the upcoming voyage to England to attend HRH's GardenHat Party.  How can we leave our Realm while it is in such Turmoil?  The absence of the Royals and preeminent Personages of the Kingdom would perhaps leave it open to a Nefarious Coup by these Usurpers.

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

P.S.  I am especially Proud to be named Poet Laureate, as it was the word "laureate" that eliminated me from the Greater Washington Area Spelling Bee when I was in Junior High, and Champion of my School.  At that time, I was unaware that there was a Silent E at the end, and said merely "l a u r e a t".  However, being made one now proves that I can also Spell it.  (This is a True Story.)

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 03-26-2009 01:56 PM

My dear, Dame Dulci,

I also want to offer my sincere congratulations to you, Dame Dulci, for your wonderful achievement as our Kingdom's  first Poet Laurete.   Well done faithful follower!   And to everyone who participated, you all deserve rewards.   I will have cooky concoct something scrumptious for supper tonight, for you all, as a reward for serving in this seriously silly slanted realm of ours.  I think Silver Salmon, with slivered almonds and diced shallots, is in order!

As you know I wanted to not participate in this contest, do to my stationary problems.  Now, I'm having to use the cuffs off of our butler's trousers to write on [now wearing shorts], but be that as it may, my son took it upon himself to give me laurels, in that I may not have gotten them any other way.  He loves his Qmummy, and my daughter does too(I think, but not her dogs).

As life throws us into tomorrow, getting ready for the big event (global warming) we must all think of the party, and cheer all the good and wonderful dancers and musicians that will be there to entertain us, toiling in the gardens, as well as meeting the great and grand Queen, herself, and HRM, the Duck Duke of E.

Thank you for taking these positions that were given to you, and these threats to our Kingdom, seriously.  I know it can be a challenge at times, but I also know you are worthy to the cause.  And I am thankful that you have finally learned to spell "lauret*e*.  You make us proud.

Yours, as always,

Queen Mother Kathy, Ducky Duchy of Highland Palms, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

KathyS

My dear son, Ryan,

I am happy to hear that you are taking care of the many issues that come to our desks.  I knew you were the one who could do this, since your sister Deb seems to value naps over her co-Kingdom duties along your side.  But, I am taking care of that issue, myself.

But I would like to say something, here, in regards to the music you are hearing.  I think you are right about Tinkerbell being a questionable fairy.  She loves to throw spit balls, and zonk unsuspecting ninjas in the head.  The music was coming from my bed chambers.  I had it up a little loud as I was vocalizing with these singing artists of old.  You know me and my collection of music, not everything I have in my repertoire is by current artists.  Fogive me, I'll wear my head phones tonight, and sing a little softer.

Have a good evening, my son.

QMummy

Ryan_G wrote:

Lady Raven,

I find the enthusiasm you have for your duties absolutely brilliant.  I am most pleased to know I put such a capable person in charge of our magical weapon armoury.    Plese be advised you have my complete permission to organize, dispose of, or aquaire any weapons you see fit.  

Thank you for the information cocerning the sword.  I believe that is the one my Great-Great-Great Grandfather King Kylryan had made as a prank on his brother, my Great-Great-Great Uncle Billfor.  I trust your judgement in this manner and will support any decision you come to concerning the sword.  I do know the Museuem of Fraudulent Hoaxes may desire it for a exhibit they are doing on Great Pranks of Wordsmithonia.

I do want you to look into a certain matter for me though.  It has come to attention that there exists a set of kobold enchanted ninja throwing stars.  From what I have heard, from a questionable fairy named Tinkerbell, when they make contact with thier chosen target the target starts singing Barry Manilow/Paul Anka/Paula Abdul songs.  I feel that such a dangerous weapon should be taken out of circulation and kept safe in our vaults.  I would much appreciate any effort you partake in to find and aquire such a weapon.

By My Own Hand,

Ryan_G

Mother,

I am much relieved to find you in good spirits after the garden fiasco.  The boys came by today to apologize once again.  They told me they are going to make you a present, they are that upset by the whole thing. 

I do agree that Deb has been napping alot lately, I do hope nothing is wrong.  Somebody pointed it out that the timing of her napping and the frog/panda being exiled were about the same time.  I told this individual to never repeat such a horrid thought and that my sister is true and good and would never stoop to such a thing.

Don't worry about the music, I'm just glad you are finally over your Celine Dion/Michael Bolton phase.  That was truly a trial.

Have a good evening mother and if you need anything please don't hesitate to send word to me.

King Ryan

Ryan_G

Mother,

I have been sitting in my library by the fire reading a most excellent book, well trying to read anyway.  I find myself staring out the window more than anything.  For some reason it is sleeting on this side of the castle, has been for hours actually.  It made me think of the nursery song you would sing me as a baby.

The sun sets and the silver moon does rise

as the world of light dies.

The silver glow of the moon hides,

creatures of the nights as they tell their lies

They taks no notice of the abandoned tower

as they slither about in the shadows for cover.

They take to the air and hover

in breathtaking awe and wonder.

As the night comes and goes,

the creatures cry "alas" and "woe."

They scurry back into their holes

as it starts to sleet and snow.

I think there were verses before those last three, but I really don't remember them.  Anyway I think I'm am going to call Madame Ceja to bring me some tea as I sit here and contemplate this rather lovely book I'm reading.  That is if I can stop staring out the window.

Your Son,

Ryan, King of Wordsmithonia