Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

The Wordsmith Words

This thread is our "Newspaper".  I could have called it The Blabby Bladder", but that sounded a little too obnoxious, so I kept it simple! LOL

It can be used for any current event topic that might have interest to this board.  Actually, it can be anything you want it to be that may or may not effect our Realm of Wordsmithonia.  

Something might read like these headlines -

Trolls Stick Lady TiggerBear's Fingers In Light Socket While Decorating Tree!

I plan to give an update on my visit to the White House.  Chime in on this thread, whatever you want to say.  Change the Subject Line to your headline, if it's not a reply post.  Have fun!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

In Memoriam

Dame Dulcinea, Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, regrets to announce the sad death of her father, Duke Cyril of Oz, on November 13, 2009.  The Duchess has been mostly Withdrawn into her Crystal Palace of Fantasia since this Sad Event, and hopes that her Friends of Wordsmithonia will understand if she has been Derelict in her Duties lately.  Although the Christmas Season does not hold the usual Enchantment for her this Year, she will attempt to attend some of the Festivities, hoping that it will Cheer Her Up.  She thanks the Cowardly Lion for his Faithful Service in minding her Realms while she has been Unable to do so herself, and Romeo and Khan for being of Great Comfort to her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

Christmas At The White House

Christmas At The White House

To celebrate this time of year with friends and family, is always special, but this year I found myself in the presence of President and Mrs. Obama.  Oprah Winfry was there, adorning the rooms in her gown of red, smiling all the way, while leading us through the special sights and sounds only The White House can offer. 

I wish to thank our official photographer, Archival Historian, Lady Peppermill, for bringing these pictures of  Christmas decorations  to all of you. 

I thought, in particular, the story of the Christmas decorating especially meaningful.  Sending decorations to many states, and having everyone from children to adults, make them into something very special, indeed.  These decorations adorn a beautiful tree.  You could feel the heartbeating from each and everyone of these hands that made them.  Then I was amazed that so many people were invited to The White House to personally decorate another tree.  This was special to see, as well.  Every tree in it's room gave something back to me.

The plan, by this new couple as I saw it, was on making this House, our House;  Making this House a Home, our Home.  This great mansion was given to all of us with open arms, to share in these wonderful warm and inviting experiences.  This family is now our family.  Yes, this is what I felt.  And this is what I wanted to share with everyone who reads this.  

KathyS
0 Kudos

The True Story Of Rudolph

**TRUE  STORY OF RUDOLPH**

A man named Bob May, depressed and
brokenhearted, stared out his drafty apartment
window into the chilling December night.
His 4-year-old daughter Barbara sat on his lap
quietly sobbing.

Bobs wife, Evelyn, was dying of cancer.                       
Little Barbara couldn't understand why her
mommy could never come home. Barbara looked up
into her dad's eyes and asked, "Why isn't Mommy just                
like everybody else's Mommy?" Bob's jaw tightened and his      
eyes welled with tears.

Her question brought waves of grief, but also
of anger. It had been the story of Bob's life.
Life always had to be different for Bob.
Small when he was a kid, Bob was often bullied
by other boys. He was too little at the time to                      
compete in sports. He was often called names he'd rather             
not remember. From childhood, Bob was different and never   
seemed to fit in. Bob did complete college, married
his loving wife AND WAS GRATEFUL TO GET HIS JOB AS A COPYWRITER AT                       
MONTGOMERY  WARD DURING THE GREAT DEPRESSION. THEN HE               
WAS BLESSED WITH HIS LITTLE  GIRL.  BUT IT WAS ALL SHORT-LIVED.
EVELYN'S BOUT WITH CANCER STRIPPED  THEM  OF ALL THEIR SAVINGS AND NOW
BOB AND HIS DAUGHTER WERE FORCED  TO          
LIVE IN A TWO-ROOM APARTMENT IN THE  CHICAGO             
SLUMS. EVELYN DIED  just days before Christmas in 1938.
Bob struggled to give hope to his child, for
whom he couldn't even afford to buy a
Christmas gift. But if he couldn't buy a gift, he was               
determined a make one - a storybook! Bob had created a        
character in his own mind and told the animal's story to
little Barbara to give her comfort and hope.  
Again and again Bob told the story, embellishing it more with each telling.

Who was the character?  What was the story all
about? The story Bob May created was his own
autobiography in fable form. The character he                      
created was a misfit outcast like he was. The name of the           
character? A little reindeer named Rudolph, with a big                      
shiny nose.

Bob finished THE BOOK JUST IN TIME TO GIVE IT TO HIS LITTLE GIRL ON                      
CHRISTMAS DAY. BUT THE STORY DOESN'T END THERE.
THE GENERAL MANAGER OF MONTGOMERY  WARD
CAUGHT WIND OF THE  LITTLE                   
STORYBOOK AND OFFERED BOB MAY A NOMINAL FEE TO PURCHASE           
THE  RIGHTS TO PRINT THE BOOK. WARDS
WENT ON TO PRINT, RUDOLPH THE  RED-NOSED     
REINDEER AND DISTRIBUTE IT TO CHILDREN VISITING    
SANTA  CLAUS IN THEIR STORES.  BY 1946 WARDS HAD PRINTED AND                       
DISTRIBUTED  MORE  THAN SIX MILLION COPIES OF RUDOLPH. THAT SAME
YEAR, A MAJOR PUBLISHER WANTED TO PURCHASE THE
RIGHTS FROM WARDS TO PRINT AN  UPDATED VERSION OF THE BOOK.                                   

IN AN UNPRECEDENTED GESTURE OF  KINDNESS,   
THE CEO OF WARDS RETURNED ALL RIGHTS BACK TO BOB
MAY.  THE BOOK BECAME A BEST SELLER. MANY TOY
AND MARKETING DEALS FOLLOWED AND BOB MAY, NOW
REMARRIED WITH A GROWING FAMILY, BECAME
WEALTHY FROM  THE STORY HE CREATED TO COMFORT
HIS GRIEVING DAUGHTER. BUT THE STORY  doesn't
end there either. 

Bob's brother-in-law, Johnny Marks, made a song adaptation to  RUDOLPH.                 
THOUGH THE SONG WAS TURNED DOWN BY SUCH POPULAR                 
VOCALISTS  AS  BING CROSBY AND  DINAH SHORE  , IT WAS                       
RECORDED BY THE SINGING COWBOY, GENE AUTRY. "RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED
REINDEER" WAS RELEASED  IN 1949 AND BECAME A PHENOMENAL SUCCESS,
SELLING MORE RECORDS THAN  any  other Christmas song,
with the exception of "White Christmas..."
The gift of love that Bob May created for his
daughter so long ago kept on returning back to
bless him again and again. And Bob May
learned the lesson, just like his dear friend
Rudolph, that being  different isn't so bad. In
fact, being different can be a blessing.      

*MERRY CHRISTMAS 2009*             

KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - Pass The Butter, Please!

[ Edited ]

Pass The Butter, Please!   

This is interesting . .. .. 
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.  When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put  all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get  their money back.  

It was a white substance with no food appeal  so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.  How do you like it?   They have come out with some clever new flavorings....    

DO  YOU KNOW.. 
The difference between margarine and butter?   

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!    

Both  have the same amount of calories.
Butter  is slightly higher in saturated fats at

8 grams; compared to 5 grams for Margarine. 

Eating 
Margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53%  over
eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent  Harvard
Medical Study.

Eating 
Butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. 
Butter
has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added! 
Butter
 tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. 
Butter
 has been around for centuries where Margarine has been
around for less than 100 years. 

And now, for Margarine.. 

Very High in Trans fatty acids. 
Triples risk of coronary 
heart disease. 

Increases total cholesterol
 and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and  lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) 
Increases  the risk of cancers up to five times.....

Lowers  quality of 
breast milk. 
Decreases immune response. 
Decreases
insulin response. 

And  here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE  IS  THE  PART  THAT  IS  VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE  away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).    

You can try this yourself: 
Purchase  a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded  area.  Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things: 
*  no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it  (that should tell you something)
*  it does not rot or smell differently because it has 
no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why?   Because it 
is nearly plastic.  Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

The Kingdom serves butter on their crumpets!

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Re: The Wordsmith Words - Pass The Butter, Please!

Very interesting article, gonna give the experiment a try lol.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

TiggerBear

Speaking of which, melting tuperware that is...

Do you microwave in plastic?

You shouldn't!

A few years back I had a (well it wasn't cancer, but when they get to a certain size it's automatically considered a tumor) tumor the size of a football removed. And as they were figuring out exact size, placement ,and how best to get it out. They gave me a stack of printouts to read. I was driving home, needless to say in shock and had to pull over. After I had my parking lot oh goddess a tumor freak out, I started to read the paperwork they handed me. Nestled in the middle was a 8 page from the journal of medicine on what doctors consider the #1 cause of tumor growth was plastic. Here's a direct quote

While we can not yet say for certain that plastic causes tumors, we can after 12 years fully determine that plastic does cause then to grow. Normal confirmed method of absorption the use of plastic microwave containers.

You see everything is permeable when heated, on a molecular level. Metal, glass, and plastic. But the lowest temperature permeable substance is plastic. Molecules can at average microwave temps give off and pass back and forth molecules with the food within. Which is why plastic absorbs smells so easily.

Don't microwave in plastics, you don't want petroleum in your soup.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Good, grief, a football!  I'd be in shock, too!  I assume everything came out fine?  I hope!

When microwaves first came out, I think everybody was melting their plastic containers, until they came out with a plastic that doesn't melt, but I still don't want to cook in plastic.  I freeze food in it, but pop it out and cook whatever it is, in a ceramic dish/bowl.  Now with all the plastic scare going around with drinking bottles, and the lining of metal food cans, who knows what's out there, ready to kill us!  I try to use fresh, or frozen, everything.  Thanks for the medical tip!

TiggerBear wrote:

Speaking of which, melting tuperware that is...

Do you microwave in plastic?

You shouldn't!

A few years back I had a (well it wasn't cancer, but when they get to a certain size it's automatically considered a tumor) tumor the size of a football removed. And as they were figuring out exact size, placement ,and how best to get it out. They gave me a stack of printouts to read. I was driving home, needless to say in shock and had to pull over. After I had my parking lot oh goddess a tumor freak out, I started to read the paperwork they handed me. Nestled in the middle was a 8 page from the journal of medicine on what doctors consider the #1 cause of tumor growth was plastic. Here's a direct quote

While we can not yet say for certain that plastic causes tumors, we can after 12 years fully determine that plastic does cause then to grow. Normal confirmed method of absorption the use of plastic microwave containers.

You see everything is permeable when heated, on a molecular level. Metal, glass, and plastic. But the lowest temperature permeable substance is plastic. Molecules can at average microwave temps give off and pass back and forth molecules with the food within. Which is why plastic absorbs smells so easily.

Don't microwave in plastics, you don't want petroleum in your soup.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yes, much better. It had been causing health problem long before the docs found it. It was pressing up into my stomach, down in to my bladder, stretched my tubes, and crushed my womb to flat. Was making me pained from all every bit. Making quite a bit crazy from the body stress. They take it out, and bam health goes from 10% healthy to 95%, womb goes back to where and as it should be. No more my stomach hurts and I don't know why. MUCH MUCH better. I was always a very sick kid, now I get sick instead of 49 weeks a year sick to 2 weeks a year if. Of course they did cut me from side to side to get it out, but the scar is now less than 7 inches wide.

The scary bit was they have 0 idea how long it was there, and they only saw it when it started growing scary fast. The fact it was the largest tumor in 6 states. That and reading the cell by cell (they froze it, slides it to cell bit wide, and sent it all over the country for med schools) report as they looked for cancer cells a year later. 176 pages and not a single cancer cell. It was all inner side tummy cells.

Yep ceramic and glass are safe. Glass needs 740 to get soft and ceramic need 620.

KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - Vancouver Olympic Games 2010

February 12, 2010 - Gala Opening Ceremony's

Today the events begin.  Here is the schedule for what is ahead.

Related News On Huffington Post:

Nodar Kumaritashvili's Opening Ceremony Tribute (PHOTOS)
Georgian luge slider Nodar Kumaritashvili died in a horrifying high-speed crash Friday (GRAPHIC PHOTOS), hours before the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony was set to transpire....
Vancouver Olympics Torch Mishap: Opening Ceremony Pillar FAILS
The Vancouver Olympics Opening Ceremony launched the 2010 Winter Games Friday night, and viewers were treated to a spectacle including Nelly Furtado and a giant...
Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony: Vancouver Games Get Started
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — The first day of the Winter Games didn't turn out as everyone hoped, or as anyone planned. A wicked crash claimed...
Olympics Opening Ceremony: Vancouver's Best Outfits (PHOTOS)
The Vancouver Olympics kicked off tonight with a long opening ceremony. (Click here for photos.) More than 80 countries are represented at the 2010 Winter...
More News Posts:  « First   Prev  1  2  Next   Last » 

KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - Valentine's Day History

Is Valentine's Day Here To Stay?  You tell us!

The Huffington Post:  Read More:
History Of Valentines Day
The history of Valentine's Day dates back to the first centuries A.D. and a man named St. Valentine.

The problem is there are actually three St. Valentine's -- one a priest, one a bishop, and little is known about the third. All were martyrs.

In 469 A.D., Pope Gelasius declared Feb. 14 a day to honor St. Valentine, one of these three men.

One legend says that a Roman emperor banned soldiers from marrying in the third century, but St. Valentine took issue with this. He became an advocate for soldiers and was executed as a result of his outspokenness.

Another legend says St. Valentine was executed for his beliefs in Christianity and just before he died, he left a farewell note for a loved one and signed it "From Your Valentine."

A conventional and widely accepted belief about the holiday itself is that Valentine's Day grew out of a Middle Ages tradition of celebrating Feb. 14 as the day "the birds began to pair."

History.com notes that February has long been associated with being a month of love, and Feb. 15 was celebrated in ancient times as a fertility festival.

Whatever its origin, it took off, and the U.S. Greeting Cards Association estimates Valentine's Day is the second-most popular card-giving day of the year, only to Christmas.

KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - Frosty Makes It Alive!

Frosty Makes It Alive to The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia's Winter Festival.

Frosty was last seen entering the lawns of The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  His invitation was received with joy, and is glad to attend, sources say, but must rush festivities, while he's still round and jolly, and full of the season's spirit, although Jim Beam is warming him up, so he's not long for this party.... the dates for the Winter Festival have been moved up to tomorrow!  Everyone in the surrounding Kingdoms have been invited, and alerted, all must hurry to make this party a success.  (Sources for information creditable, but now unknown.  They seemed to have melted away).  Funerals are in process., which will put a slight damper on the festivities...for others of the same frozen substance.  More later, as others arrive.

Proceeds will be made to this unknown source

Snowman Funeral

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: The Wordsmith Words - Frosty Makes It Alive!

Breaking News......

Unknown thieves have stolen Frosty's magic hat!

If anyone has seen the red coated mustached nefarious thieves please report their location to our royal guards.

KathyS

Re: The Wordsmith Words - An Avalanche of Early Arrivals!

An Avalanche of early arrivals stand waiting at the entrance to The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  Word of mouth has spread this news throughout hill and dale, mountains and valleys, to join this Winter Festival.  No one will be discriminated against, whether or not they wear clothes.  The only stipulation that the Queen makes, is that they do not leave wet snow tracks within the castle.  New carpets have been laid, and we hear their butler is a stickler for keeping things orderly, and clean...and dry. 

Parties in the past have forced this ruling upon all future festivities, says reliable source.  Source was small green trolly, but still reliable.  Mr. Limpet is in hiding at this moment.  He could not be reached for verification of this ruling.  And Mr. Burgess, the butler, will give no further statements.  I believe he is hiding, also, but in the pantry, and could not be reached at this time.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This post is based on an article that made the rounds in 2003. I suppose 2003 could be called "recent" except that since then transfats have been lowered or removed from many products.
I find the quoted material highly inappropriate for this board (or any other board) since it distorts the truth by not giving us all the facts.  I am a heart patient and in following a diet prescribed by a team of doctors and nurses in my "Multifit Cardiac Rehabilitation" program I am advised to limit fats in general and animal fats in particular. I use olive oil and a plant stanol based margarine; I have lowered my LDL and Triglycerides, and increased my HDL quite a bit since my coronary artery event in 2008. I grew up with butter and had, until 2008, been a consumer of butter. As with anything else, moderation is the key to a healthy diet and inflammatory outbursts about one product or another don't make sense. The claim that margarine is but "ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC" is just plain funny to me; even the least bit of education in chemistry tells me that a product can be altered with the addition of "something else."
Maybe an article from Harvard School of Public Health (2010) will give less hyped-up information about the margarine vs. butter issue. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html
If this post is a good indicator of the kind of words offered by the Wordsmiths on this board, this will be my first and last reply.

KathyS wrote:

Pass The Butter, Please!   

This is interesting . .. .. 
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.  When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put  all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get  their money back.  

It was a white substance with no food appeal  so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter.  How do you like it?   They have come out with some clever new flavorings....    

DO  YOU KNOW.. 
The difference between margarine and butter?   

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!    

Both  have the same amount of calories.
Butter  is slightly higher in saturated fats at

8 grams; compared to 5 grams for Margarine. 

Eating 
Margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53%  over
eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent  Harvard
Medical Study.

Eating 
Butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. 
Butter
has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added! 
Butter
 tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods. 
Butter
 has been around for centuries where Margarine has been
around for less than 100 years. 

And now, for Margarine.. 

Very High in Trans fatty acids. 
Triples risk of coronary 
heart disease. 

Increases total cholesterol
 and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and  lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol) 
Increases  the risk of cancers up to five times.....

Lowers  quality of 
breast milk. 
Decreases immune response. 
Decreases
insulin response. 

And  here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE  IS  THE  PART  THAT  IS  VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE  away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).    

You can try this yourself: 
Purchase  a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded  area.  Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things: 
*  no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it  (that should tell you something)
*  it does not rot or smell differently because it has 
no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why?   Because it 
is nearly plastic.  Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

The Kingdom serves butter on their crumpets!

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, G.....Well, I'm only the messenger.  I didn't write it.  I"m sorry if this article seemed inappropriate.  I didn't post it to educate people on whether or not they should use butter, over margarine.  I thought it rather a funny article, myself.  This board, or any section of this board, isn't meant to be a scholarly addition to these boards.  It's meant to just post oddities, or whatever you think might be entertaining, funny, or just have fun with something you want to talk about, without hurting anyone in the process.  If you want to counter anything, go right ahead, just remember to be nice about it.  I saw nothing harmful in this posted article, even if it was a bit wildly misleading.  And I'm glad you posted your reply to this article.

And I, myself, use alternatives to both butter and margarine.  Heart healthy.  The over use of any additive substances can cause many unpleasant results, not to mention deadly results.  There are a lot of things I used to eat and drink, but no longer am able.  We need to be wise, and actually think about what goes into any substance we put in our mouth.  I think you are.  Thanks for updates.  I hope you do come back and not take these things too seriously.  I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Wordsmith Words - Rogue Mounties Steal Frosty's Magic Hat

TiggerBear wrote:  

Breaking News......

Unknown thieves have stolen Frosty's magic hat!

If anyone has seen the red coated mustached nefarious thieves please report their location to our royal guards.

Following the red coat trail across the southern section of Alberta.

The year 1874 saw Canada's North West Mounted Police donning their famous red coats and marching into history Their journey west carried them across the southern regions of Canada's prairie provinces, through grasslands, badlands, pine forests, river valleys and rising hills following the Boundary Commission's 1872 trail. A year earlier, the commission had blazed the 840-mile trail westward, establishing the Canadian-U.S. border on the 49th parallel.

Using this doorway to the West, the red-coated Mounties had the task of stopping the whiskey trade, establishing friendly relations with the natives and enforcing Canadian law over a 300,000-square-mile territory. That was not an easy task for the 300 men who formed this thin red line across the landscape.

Behind them came a 1.5-mile-long supply column: 114 carts, 73 freight wagons, 93 head of cattle (to be slaughtered for meat), two 9-pounder field guns and two brass mortars. What a sight to behold! The leader of the force described it as "an astonishing cavalcade."

Coursing its way from Fort Dufferin, Manitoba, across Saskatchewan to Fort Macleod in Alberta, the prairie trail to the Rocky Mountains presented untold hardships. Confronted by mosquitoes, horse flies, mud, sunburn, oppressive heat, bitter cold and bad water, the Mounties pushed on. Today the historic Red Coat Trail is commemorated by a highway route that closely follows the original trail. Signs with a moustached, red-coated Mountie identify the route.

Copyright of this article is found here.

KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - Solution To Controversy Over Full-body Scanners In Airports

Here is a solution to all the controversy over full-body scanners at airports. 
Have a booth that you can step into that will not X-ray you,
but will detonate any explosive device you may have on you.
It would be a win-win for everyone, and there would be no nonsense about racial profiling.

Submitted by one of our technical staff, anonymously. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: The Wordsmith Words - Solution To Controversy Over Full-body Scanners In Airports

Ok speaking from the standpoint of a woman with large breasts. I'd much rather a outline view be taken than the strange persons hands inside my shirt, inside my bra grope up we have now. And the scanner is the equivalent of standing in front of a microwave while popping popcorn radiation wise.

Do people realize they let you keep your shoes on in the security points with those scanners. That they've had them across europe for the past year and even the hypochondriac French are ok with them.

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Wordsmith Words - Book Reports

[ Edited ]

February 28, 2010