Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Re: Wordsmith Words - Godzilla And Gummy Bears Mutate!

Queen Kathy!

Wonderful news! Fear not from Godzilla! As we were looking for him very urgently it came to mind how much he loved the peanutbutter pickle banana mustard sandwiches I'd given him. So, I quickly had a cartful made and headed off back into the forest. The winds have been picking up quite strong lately and I hoped that smell would rouse him out of hiding. I had been there for nearly three days, wandering around (thinking of some Haiku I'll share later) when I fell into a hole, leaving my cart of goodies behind.

I had been falling for some time and wondered if I'd accidentally found the mysterious rabbit hole I'd been hearing about. Eventually, I came to the bottom with the most unpleasant thump! and must have hit my head rather hard for I had lost consciousness. Upon awakening I found my surroundings most surprising there was a small light coming from a long tunnel in front of me and upon examining myself I found no other injuries than a bump on my head.

Cautiously, I stood, and slowly made my way towards the light. You can imagine my fear of what I might find at the end of the lighted tunnel but I continued on, my curiosity once again overriding my fear (I should think my ancestors must have been cats!). The tunnel was longer and the light farther away than I first thought and I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming and the prick of pain along with my throbbing head both convinced me I was very much awake.

Eventually, the tunnel expanded and I found myself in a large cavern, the tinkling of water flowing somewhere off in the distance and there he was! Godzilla hiding in a cave/hole/thingy! His eyes flashed in first fear than in anger upon seeing me which brought me back to our first encounter. I hadn't fully realized until seeing him what a fright he had given me by running off and my own anger quickly turned on him.

"There you are! Do you know how sick I've been with worry? You have had the people of this realm scared half to the moon and back, I've been traipsing through the forest for three whole days carrying your favorite sandwiches and you've been hiding in a hole?" He turned his eyes down started wringing his claws faintly wimpering/ grunting as I approached him wagging my finger. Seeing his expression I quickly checked my tone and apologized and tried to wrap my arms around his massive leg to console him.

This wouldn't do for him, though, and he quickly scooped me up and nearly crushed me to himself. "Easy there buddy, I'm not squishy like a teddybear-- I do break." he relaxed his grip on me slightly and brought his snout to my face, his expression questioning. Holding my breath from the stench of his, I guessed what he wanted and assured him that if we could get back to the forest he could have all the peanutbutter pickle banana mustard sandwiches he wanted.

This excited him and he stood up, though too quickly and bonked his head on the roof of the cavern. He stared at the roof angrily and I chuckled at this asking if he was alright. He huffed still glaring at the ceiling rubbing his head. "Come on Godzilla, the ground isn't the safest place for you I fear, and there are no yummy sandwiches for you!" This got his attention back and with me still in his claws he headed back to tunnel.

It was a tight fit for him and he had to set me in front of himself so he could slide on his belly back through the tunnel, his tail hitting the walls as it swished back and forth. With his body blocking the light, I had to use my hands in the dark to get back to where I'd first fallen. After a short journey and alot of huffying on Godzilla's part as he crammed himself through the tunnel, we finally reached the end and I could faintly smell the forest trees.

When he caught up with me he crowded himself as much as he could and then hoisted me up as he tried to stand up. I quickly cleared the hole and was sat down on the soft forest floor. Godzilla then tried to climb out of the hole himself but his behind was so securely wedged in the hole. After strugging for some minutes he gave out an exhausted cry and looked at me with sad eyes. I returned his expression and tried to rouse him to keep trying but him simply shook his head and sat there all hope lost.

"I'll get you out of there, Godzilla, I'll find a way." I said in a childish voice and he lightly patted me on the head, which reminded me of the injury I had previously suffered. He laid his head on the ground and saw the cart of sandwiches i wheeled them over to him and began feeding him. When he was satisfied and the cart emptied, he replaced his head on the ground his eyes filling with moisture. I struggled for an idea on how to free him and suddenly thought of something.

"Godzilla, I'm going to go get help, okay?" He quickly shook his head and grunted, little balls of fire coming out of his snout. "Don't be scared, they won't hurt you as long as you promise to leave the Gummies and Gnomes alone. You can't snack on the creatures of Wordsmithonia and if I have your word that you promise to become a vegetarian I'm sure they'll let you stay here if you want. You can stay at Tamul with me and have all the delicious peanutbutter pickle banana mustard sandwiches you'd like! Do you promise not to hurt any more creatures?" He nodded his head excitedly his expressive eyes showing his remorse at his previous actions.

I rubbed his snout and told him to stay there which made him look at me quite quizzically and I corrected myself with an awkward smile and set off back home to write to you immediately for your services in helping him out of the hole he's dug for himself.

I'm certain Godzilla is very sorry and he promises not to cause anymore problems. Oh, please dear Queen Kathy, please oh please can I keep him? I promise to feed him and walk him I'll even get a harness and leash made for him.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseee?

Duchess Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - Godzilla And Duchess Kayla Unite

[ Edited ]

My dear Duchess Kayla,

I woke early this morning, hearing a knock on my door.  Clementine, my maid, was standing with a cup of tea in one hand, and two letters in the other hand.  Her expression was of humble apology for rousing me at this hour.  But, knowing her as I do, she would not wake me if it were not necessary. 

I assured her that it was all right, as I took the cup and saucer in my hands, and inviting her in to sit for a moment.  She told me that your previous letter was placed in on the hall salver, and Rascal my cat must have knocked it onto the floor, and under the table.  While waxing the oak floors this morning, the cleaning service found it, and placed it back on the salver, where this current letter lie.

As I read your letters, drinking my cup of tea, I smile, finding myself happy to hear of your success in finding Godzilla, and his taking to you.  Of course, your head injury is of my concern, as is his being stuck in that hole.  Although, feeding him your peanutbutter pickle banana mustard sandwiches, you so graciously made for him (a very nice thing to do), I am afraid it has also expanded his girth, making it  an even more arduous task for his removal.  But, no matter, we will find a way.

I think you are a very courageous young woman, and the only one that I know of who has gotten through to that thick skull of his!  I know his upbringing has not been a good one, with parents who thought nothing of him as a child, just another ugly mouth to feed, with teeth to big to brush, and a body impossible to find clothes for.....and for the most part, was left to his own devises, to fend for himself.  He was a problem monster of a child growing up, to be sure.

As a child, he would wander into our forests from time to time, creating havoc on a smaller scale, but would soon tire of his own pranks, and leave us alone for a year or so.  It seems to be only this time of year that he comes to our realm.  I think it is all of the noise and racket the forest creatures are making for the coming events in the spring.  There is a good possibility that he is just lonely. 

But, he gets angry so fast.  His quick temper pushes the few creatures that have tried to befriend him, away.  Wooly Mammoth had once wanted to be his friend, but Godzilla fought with him over the silliest things.  Things like, who picked the most berries, or bananas off the trees.  Yes, Godzilla does like bananas, which is probably one reason he gave into your odd selection of sandwiches.  Yes, he had once been a vegetarian, until he developed a sweat tooth for the Gummy Bears.  Godzilla had never actually eaten the other woodland creatures, just scared them to death!

I have sent for my friend, Monestrial Melvin.  Melvin is my two headed dragon, who cares for me and my every wish.  There is nothing he would not do for me.  And there is nothing that I would not do for him.   And as we always say, two heads are better than one to figure things out.  I have instructed him to go to your aid.  The removal of Godzilla from this hole will require some doing and digging.  If there is a will, there is a way....and Melvin has more will in him than most dragons.  Just growing up with two heads has taught him how to accept life, and not fight against those that are bred with hate, and letting thrown stones bounce off of his heads, like water off of a ducks back.

Melvin is on his way, with a plan I am sure will work.  I see a trail of gofers behind him.  Thank goodness he is going to put them to good use!  There is nothing like a bored gofer to ruin a garden!  Let us now see what they can do for your dilemma.  I will send along more sandwiches for everyone, although Melvin prefers honey roasted ham with Swiss cheese on a croissant.  He likes to melt the cheese and toast the croissant, himself.  There is still lemon tea left, which needs to all be drained from the moat, today.   There will be enough to help quench the thirst.  After the ingestion of all of those peanutbutter pickle banana mustard sandwiches, there must be a great thirst! 

And, my dear Kayla, your pleading is not necessary, for you have more than proven your worth amongst the Kingdom (although it was never needed to be proven), and in saying this,  we would be more than happy to allow you to keep Godzilla.  Only remember, and I am sure you will, keep a short leash on him for a while, just until he finds himself.  We will send a trainer to be at your side, in his re-education and training of manners.  And  we must instruct all creatures to try and be a little more friendly, assuring them that Godzilla will tread lightly.  We do not want even the smallest of creatures to be smooshed under his very large weighted feet!

I will now return to my tea.  I am still not quite awake yet, and one more cup will do the trick!  After I dress, you will find me out in the garden, tending to the wild grasses that have been allowed to grow freely.  I have just one more section to deal with, today, then tomorrow, another!  I should be free of these weeds by the weekend, and then everything will be ready for the finishing touches to the flower beds.  I have a few more bulbs to plant!

Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Yours,

QM Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - Truman Day

Truman Day in United States

Truman Day is a state holiday in Missouri, the United States, on or around May 8 each year. It honors Harry S Truman, a United States president who was born in Missouri.

Harry S Truman was the president of the United States during the 1940s and 1950s. ©iStockphoto.com/manley620

What do people do?

Events are held to remember the legacy of Harry S. Truman. Many are organized by or to benefit the Democratic Party that Truman represented. They include: educational sessions for high school students; opportunities to meet Democrat politicians in a social setting; and fundraising dinners to support the Democratic Party at local, state and national levels. At the Harry S Truman Presidential Library and Museum in Independence, Missouri, Truman's birthday is celebrated every year. A wreath is laid in memory of him, films about him or his life are shown and birthday cake is served. In addition, the Harry S Truman Public Service Award is presented by the City of Independence to a person, who is dedicated and industrious and demonstrates the same levels of honesty, integrity and ability as Truman did.

Public life

State offices are closed in Missouri on Truman Day. Schools, stores, post offices and other businesses and organizations are open and public transit services run to their regular schedules.

Background

Harry S Truman was born on May 8, 1884 in Lamar, Missouri. His father was John Anderson Truman and his mother Martha Ellen Young Truman and he was the second of four children. As a child, he also lived in Harrisonville, Belton, Grandview and Independence, all in the state of Missouri. He graduated from high school, but his poor eyesight prevented him from studying at college. Truman worked as a timekeeper on the Santa Fe railway and in many clerical functions. He served for the Missouri National Guard from 1909 until 1911. He re-enlisted at the start of World War I and was sent to France, where he became an officer and then a battery commander.

After the end of World War I, he returned to the United States and married Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman, known as affectionately as Bess, on June 28, 1919. They had one child, Margaret, who was born on February 17, 1924. Truman embarked on a political career, becoming a judge of the County Court of the eastern district of Jackson County, Missouri, in 1922. He also took on a number of other official roles. In 1934, he was elected as a member of the US Senate for the Democratic Party and he was re-elected in 1940. He became better known and more respected when his preparedness committee, known as the Truman Committee, exposed the mismanagement of military resources.

In 1944 the Democratic Party selected Truman as the candidate for vice-president to Franklin D Roosevelt, who ran for election for his fourth term as President of the United States. Roosevelt won the election on November 7, 1944, and Truman was inaugurated as vice-president on January 20, 1945. However, on April 12, 1945, Roosevelt died as a result of a massive stroke and Truman became president.

Truman was president for two terms until January 20, 1953. He led the United States through the end of World War II and during the great shifts in international politics in the late 1940s and early 1950s. These included: the establishment of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO); the conflict between mainland China and Taiwan; the Korean War; the First Indochina War; and the rise of the Soviet Union as a nuclear power. After his presidency, he returned to live in Independence, Missouri, where he founded the Harry S Truman Presidential Library and Museum.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - History of Mother's Day, Part 1

Mother's Day History

Spiritual Origin of Mothers Day

The majority of countries that celebrate Mother's Day do so on the second Sunday of May. On this day, it is common for Mothers to be lavished with presents and special attention from their families, friends and loved ones. But it hasn’t always been this way.

Only recently dubbed “Mother's Day,” the highly traditional practice of honoring of Motherhood is rooted in antiquity, and past rites typically had strong symbolic and spiritual overtones; societies tended to celebrate Goddesses and symbols rather than actual Mothers. In fact, the personal, human touch to Mother’s Day is a relatively new phenomenon. The maternal objects of adoration ranged from mythological female deities to the Christian Church itself. Only in the past few centuries did celebrations of Motherhood develop a decidedly human focus.

Goddess Isis - Early Egyptian Roots

One of the earliest historical records of a society celebrating a Mother deity can be found among the ancient Egyptians, who held an annual festival to honor the goddess Isis, who was commonly regarded as the Mother of the pharaohs. Her stern, yet handsome head is typically crowned by a pair of bull horns enclosing a fiery sun orb. She is most often depicted sitting on a throne.

So the story goes, after Isis’ brother-husband Osiris was slain and dismembered in 13 pieces by their jealous brother Seth, Isis re-assembled Osiris’ body and used it to impregnate herself. She then gave birth to Horus, whom she was forced to hide amongst the reeds lest he be slaughtered by Seth. Horus grew up and defeated Seth, and then became the first ruler of a unified Egypt. Thus Isis earned her stature as the Mother of the pharaohs.

It is interesting to note that the Mother and Son imagery of Isis and Horus—in which Isis cradles and suckles her son—is strikingly similar to that of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus.

Cybele - Ancient Roman Celebration

The festival of Isis was also celebrated by the Romans who used the event to commemorate an important battle and mark the beginning of Winter. Despite being an imported deity, Isis held a place at the Roman temple, and her festival—which lasted for three days—was regaled by mostly-female dancers, musicians and singers.

Yet the Roman root of Mother’s Day is perhaps more precisely found in the celebration of the Phrygian goddess Cybele, or Magna Mater (Great Mother).

Cybele stems from the Greek Goddess Rhea, who was the Mother of most of the major deities including Zeus. Rhea was therefore celebrated as a mother goddess, and the festival took place around the time of the Vernal Equinox.

Greek Celebration of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods

In Rome and Asia Minor, Cybele was the major Mother deity most similar to Rhea, the Greek mother of the Gods. Other societies worshipped similar deities including Gaia the Earth Goddess and Meter oreie the Mountain Mother. In many aspects, this Mother goddess was represented and celebrated similarly across cultures.

The Anatolian mother goddess festivals, however, were said to be so wild that they were eventually discouraged or banned. But more conservative celebrations of Cybele and her equivalents included eating honey cakes and sharing flowers in the morning. This was practiced throughout Asia Minor—and eventually in Rome.

The Roman celebration of Magna Mater fell between March 15 and March 22, just around the same time as the Greek festival in honor of Rhea. Referred to as Hilaria, games were held in honor of the Mother of the gods. Also customary was a procession through the streets with a statue of the goddess carried at the head, followed by a display of elaborate arts and crafts.

European Celebration - Celebrating Lent & Mother Church

A later incarnation of a holiday to honor Motherhood came from Europe. It fell on the fourth Sunday Lent (the 40 days of fasting preceding Easter Sunday). Early Christians initially used the day to honor the church in which they were baptized, which they knew as their “Mother Church.” This place of worship would be decorated with jewels, flowers and other offerings.

Mothering Day in Europe - Family Gatherings With Mom

In the 1600's a clerical decree in England broadened the celebration to include real Mothers, earning the name Mothering Day. Mothering Day became an especially compassionate holiday toward the working classes of England. During this Lenten Sunday, servants and trade workers were allowed to travel back to their towns of origin to visit their families. Mothering Day also provided a one-day reprieve from the fasting and penance of Lent so that families across England could enjoy a sumptuous family feast—Mother was the guest of honor. Mothers were presented with cakes and flowers, as well as a visit from their beloved and distant children.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - History of Mother's Day, Part 2

History of American Celebration

When the first English settlers came to America, they discontinued the tradition of Mothering Day. While the British holiday would live on, the American Mother’s Day would be invented—with an entirely new history—centuries later. One explanation for the settlers’ discontinuation of Mothering Day was that they just didn’t have time; they lived under harsh conditions and were forced to work long hours in order to survive. Another possibility, however, is that Mothering Day conflicted with their Puritan ideals. Fleeing England to practice a more conservative Christianity without being persecuted, the pilgrims ignored the more secular holidays, focusing instead on a no-frills devotion to God. For example, even holidays such as Christmas and Easter were much more somber occasions for the pilgrims, usually taking place in a Church that was stripped of all extraneous ornamentation.

Julia Ward Howe's Mother's Day Proclamaition of 1870

The first North American Mother’s Day was conceptualized with Julia Ward Howe’s Mother’s Day Proclamation in 1870. Despite having penned The Battle Hymn of the Republic 12 years earlier, Howe had become so distraught by the death and carnage of the Civil War that she called on Mother’s to come together and protest what she saw as the futility of their Sons killing the Sons of other Mothers. With the following, she called for an international Mother's Day celebrating peace and motherhood:

Arise, then, women of this day!
Arise all women who have hearts,
Whether your baptism be that of water or of tears
Say firmly:

"We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies,
Our husbands shall not come to us reeking of carnage,
For caresses and applause.
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn
All that we have been able to teach them of
charity, mercy and patience.

"We women of one country
Will be too tender of those of another country
To allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

From the bosom of the devastated earth a voice goes up with
Our own. It says, "Disarm, Disarm!"
The sword of murder is not the balance of justice!
Blood does not wipe out dishonor
Nor violence indicate possession.
As men have of ten forsaken the plow and the anvil at the summons of war.

Let women now leave all that may be left of home
For a great and earnest day of counsel.

Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the dead.

Let them then solemnly take counsel with each other as to the means
Whereby the great human family can live in peace,
Each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar,
But of God.

In the name of womanhood and humanity, I earnestly ask
That a general congress of women without limit of nationality
May be appointed and held at some place deemed most convenient
And at the earliest period consistent with its objects
To promote the alliance of the different nationalities,
The amicable settlement of international questions.
The great and general interests of peace.

The Rise & Fall of Howe's Mother's Day

At one point Howe even proposed converting July 4th into Mother’s Day, in order to dedicate the nation’s anniversary to peace. Eventually, however, June 2nd was designated for the celebration. In 1873 women’s groups in 18 North American cities observed this new Mother’s holiday. Howe initially funded many of these celebrations, but most of them died out once she stopped footing the bill. The city of Boston, however, would continue celebrating Howe’s holiday for 10 more years.

Despite the decided failure of her holiday, Howe had nevertheless planted the seed that would blossom into what we know as Mother’s Day today. A West Virginia women’s group led by Anna Reeves Jarvis began to celebrate an adaptation of Howe’s holiday. In order to re-unite families and neighbors that had been divided between the Union and Confederate sides of the Civil War, the group held a Mother’s Friendship Day.

Anna M. Jarvis's Mother's Day in 1908

After Anna Reeves Jarvis died, her daughter Anna M. Jarvis campaigned for the creation of an official Mother’s Day in remembrance of her mother and in honor of peace. In 1908, Anna petitioned the superintendent of the church where her Mother had spent over 20 years teaching Sunday School. Her request was honored, and on May 10, 1908, the first official Mother's Day celebration took place at Andrew's Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia and a church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The West Virginia event drew a congregation of 407 and Anna Jarvis arranged for white carnations—her Mother’s favorite flower—to adorn the patrons. Two carnations were given to every Mother in attendance. Today, white carnations are used to honor deceased Mothers, while pink or red carnations pay tribute to Mothers who are still alive. Andrew's Methodist Church exists to this day, and was incorporated into the International Mother’s Day Shrine in 1962.

US Government Adoption

In 1908 a U.S. Senator from Nebraska, Elmer Burkett, proposed making Mother's Day a national holiday at the request of the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). The proposal was defeated, but by 1909 forty-six states were holding Mother's Day services as well as parts of Canada and Mexico.

Anna Jarvis quit working and devoted herself full time to the creation of Mother's Day, endlessly petitioning state governments, business leaders, women groups, churches and other institutions and organizations. She finally convinced the World's Sunday School Association to back her, a key influence over state legislators and congress. In 1912 West Virginia became the first state to officially recognize Mother's Day, and in 1914 Woodrow Wilson signed it into national observance, declaring the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day.

The Fight Over Commercialization

The holiday flourished in the United States and flowers, especially white carnations, became very popular. One business journal, Florists Review, went so far as to print, “This was a holiday that could be exploited.” But the budding commercialization of Mother's Day greatly disturbed Jarvis, so she vociferously opposed what she perceived as a misuse of the holiday. In 1923 she sued to stop a Mother’s Day event, and in the 1930's she was arrested for disturbing the peace at the American War Mothers group. She was protesting their sale of flowers. In the 1930’s Jarvis also petitioned against the postage stamp featuring her Mother, a vase of white carnations and the word “Mother’s Day.” Jarvis was able to have the words “Mother’s Day” removed. The flowers remained. In 1938, Time Magazine ran an article about Jarvis's fight to copyright Mother's Day, but by then it was already too late to change the commercial trend.

In opposition to the flower industry’s exploitation of the holiday, Jarvis wrote, “What will you do to route charlatans, bandits, pirates, racketeers, kidnappers and other termites that would undermine with their greed one of the finest, noblest and truest movements and celebrations?” Despite her efforts, flower sales on Mother's Day continued to grow. Florist's Review wrote, “Miss Jarvis was completely squelched.” Anna Jarvis died in 1948, blind, poor and childless. Jarvis would never know that it was, ironically, The Florist's Exchange that had anonymously paid for her care.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - History of Mother's Day, Part 3

Modern Celebration

When the United States congress approved Mother’s Day in 1914, they designated it for the second Sunday in May, and required that the President proclaim the Holiday every year shortly prior to its commencement. A recent example of a presidential Mother’s Day proclamation can be seen here. While the president proclaims the event, some mothers who lost a child use it to protest against war.

Typically a family in the United States will devote Mother’s Day to activities in honor of Mom, whether playing games, going out to dinner, taking the weekend off or going on a walk in the park. Flowers are popular, dating back to the original celebration where Anna Jarvis handed out carnations to the church-goers. It is also common to give Mother cards and chocolate candies on her special day.

In the United States Mother's Day continues to be highly commercialized.

Mother's Day vs Mothering Day

The United States’ version of Mother’s Day has been exported to many other nations throughout the world. In certain countries there has been little significant cultural adaptation. In other countries, especially those whose tradition stems from the English Mothering Day (which is now also called Mother’s Day), the traditions are quite different from those of the United States.

While some continue in Jarvis’ tradition of decrying the exploitation of the holiday, other’s appreciate the heavily marketed availability of gifts, vacation packages, brunch specials and other reminders of the day. While contemporary cultural awareness of the holiday is largely based in commercialism, it is the market force that adds to the overall importance of Mother’s Day. Where people once may not have heeded the holiday, they are made abundantly aware of the chance to pay special tribute to Mom.

In Spain Mother’s Day is tied to the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8th. The Virgin Mary is celebrated next to the mothers of the nation. In Ethiopia the holiday is tied to seasons and agriculture, and in Yugoslavia it leads up to Christmas, commemorating the Motherhood of Christ.

- Annie Huffman

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Wordsmith Words - History of Mother's Day, Part 1

KathyS wrote:

Goddess Isis - Early Egyptian Roots

One of the earliest historical records of a society celebrating a Mother deity can be found among the ancient Egyptians, who held an annual festival to honor the goddess Isis, who was commonly regarded as the Mother of the pharaohs. Her stern, yet handsome head is typically crowned by a pair of bull horns enclosing a fiery sun orb. She is most often depicted sitting on a throne.

So the story goes, after Isis’ brother-husband Osiris was slain and dismembered in 13 pieces by their jealous brother Seth, Isis re-assembled Osiris’ body and used it to impregnate herself. She then gave birth to Horus, whom she was forced to hide amongst the reeds lest he be slaughtered by Seth. Horus grew up and defeated Seth, and then became the first ruler of a unified Egypt. Thus Isis earned her stature as the Mother of the pharaohs.

It is interesting to note that the Mother and Son imagery of Isis and Horus—in which Isis cradles and suckles her son—is strikingly similar to that of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus.

Well now that's not entirely accurate. Hathor was the Egyptian mother goddess.

Check out this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hathor

And that myth, well your only getting the most modern highly abbreviated post Aten's rule version.

Isis was Seth's/Set's wife first. She gave birth to their son Anubis. Much later on Osiris seduced his older brother's wife. She became pregnant left Set, went off with Osiris. Can you really blame Set god of night, darkness, jackals, hyenas, scorpions, serpents ie a rather mercurial tempered fellow, not to be rightfully incensed at his brother's betrayal? Set killed his brother, chopped him into 14 pieces and scattered them along the river Nile for Crocodile food. Isis quietly gathered up all the pieces she could find, hiding do to her fear of Set and advanced pregnancy, only finding 13. Sewed him back together and Osiris came back  (but some tales have him trapped in the underworld), though missing one of his pieces. It generally considered that his (cough) was the one piece Isis never found.

Osiris displaced Anubis's place in the underworld. And Horus took over for the Aging Ra. And later Horus as the sun god did do battle with his Uncle lord of night.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Thanks for the details!  (cough)

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

(chuckle) Sorry, I just love Egyptian myths. And well they are a tad more body unconscious than other myths.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

(chuckle) Sorry, I just love Egyptian myths. And well they are a tad more body unconscious than other myths.

I can tell you love Egyptian myths!  I've never delved into them, myself. Now I see why! 

"A tad more body unconscious than other myths"?  Are they unconscious before or after they are dismembered?  :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I can tell you love Egyptian myths!  I've never delved into them, myself. Now I see why! 

"A tad more body unconscious than other myths"?  Are they unconscious before or after they are dismembered?  :smileyhappy:

(laughing) body unconscious vs. body conscious. They had quite a fondness for genitalia jewelry and tattooing. Think a society where the human body wasn't something to be modest of. Look at enough hieroglyphs; 2 ways to tell a man's status in the image, his head ornamentation and how big they made his *cough*.

Ah well you can blame my father for that, nearly minor in Egyptology. And being raised not to think of the human body as anything shameful. Grew up when bored being told I could flip carefully through the big Dore' book. Nothing but nudes and battle scenes and sometimes both in the same image.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Okay, miss body beautiful, I get it.....you're a little more unconscious than I am.  lol **cough** **cough**....I came along just after women were allowed to show their ankles in public!  :smileyvery-happy:  .....a very conservative family.

You're smarter than the average Bear

my Tigger

and more aware!

I have seen a goodly amount of "those" pictures...later in life, as it were!  I see now what you mean.  I think the word is uninhibited.  :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Okay, miss body beautiful, I get it.....you're a little more unconscious than I am.  lol **cough** **cough**....I came along just after women were allowed to show their ankles in public!  :smileyvery-happy:  .....a very conservative family.

You're smarter than the average Bear

my Tigger

and more aware!

I have seen a goodly amount of "those" pictures...later in life, as it were!  I see now what you mean.  I think the word is uninhibited.  :smileyhappy:

(chuckle) Ah well I had to be taught modesty. Terrible tantrum the week before going off to K school. "What do you mean I have to wear shoes?! And all my clothes inside too?!"

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

If we lived in a community where people didn't wear clothes is it immodest? I think the problem is that nakedness is directly linked to sex. Maybe wearing clothes has created that link?

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
KathyS
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

If we lived in a community where people didn't wear clothes is it immodest? I think the problem is that nakedness is directly linked to sex. Maybe wearing clothes has created that link?

I think you're right.  The missing link!  I wonder how much sex plays a part in a nudist colony?  Other than they can easily tell what sex you are.... the difference between the men and the women....are they allowed to stare?  :smileysurprised:  I'm the one wearing dark sun glasses! 

Seriously, I got over that inhibition a long time ago, when I had to draw these beautiful body parts in my up-close-and-personal drawing classes!  No fig leafs allowed!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - Armed Forces Day - Images

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Wordsmith Words - Armed Forces Day

Armed Forces Day is an American holiday that encourages citizens to celebrate the service given by those in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy. It's a time to say thanks to those who have served our country in times of peace and war.

History
  • Harry S. Truman was passionate about developing the holiday now known as Armed Forces Day. He thought it was essential that citizens have a day for paying homage and respect to those who were so nobly serving their country.

It was formally announced as Armed Forces Day on August 31, 1949. Louis Johnson, the secretary of defense with Truman, made the announcement to the country.

Truman released a Presidential Proclamation on February 27, 1950. He said many things in praise of the day, including the statement that "Armed Forces Day, Saturday, May 20, 1950, marks the first combined demonstration by America's defense team of its progress, under the National Security Act, towards the goal of readiness for any eventuality."

It was ultimately a historical moment as well in that the Army, Navy and military all now came together under the Department of Defense title instead of individual entities. 
  • Decorating
  • Armed Forces Day is a day of celebration. Unlike Memorial Day--which should technically be a somber day of remembrance for those we have lost--this holiday is meant to celebrate the service of the living and the ultimate sacrifice of those who lost their lives so that others may be free.

Red, white and blue are the colors for this holiday. Since this holiday always falls on a Saturday, parties and barbecues are the norm. Fireworks are a welcome display of celebratory affection. Sending a gift basket to those you love in the service is a traditional idea for the holiday, alongside a "thank you" card. If someone is back home from service, a party is sometimes held in his honor, and friends and family members often bring presents.
  • Family Projects
  • Parades and air shows are sometimes held to celebrate this special holiday, which is sometimes overshadowed by Memorial Day--just days away.

It's a good idea to celebrate Armed Forces Day in two parts. The first should be by discussing those who are serving the country. This is a great way to teach children about patriotism. Whether you agree with the wars or even the policies of our armed forces, it's important to look at the humanity of the soldiers risking their lives for their country. That's a dialogue that you can have with your children, one that gets deeper as they grow older.

The second way to celebrate Armed Forces Day is with a party or other celebration. A weekend getaway may even be in order, since the holiday is on a Saturday every year. Going to see the Battleship in Mobile, Alabama, may be the holiday for you. Perhaps one will go to Washington, D.C,. to see the memorials for soldiers, or seek out the patriotic landmarks right in your hometown. Classroom Celebrations
  • While Armed Forces Day will never fall on a school day--it's the third Saturday in May--and it comes at a time when lessons for the year are winding down, there are many opportunities for a teacher to help students to understand this holiday. Some students may not be aware of the holiday, and their families may not address or celebrate it. Therefore, it's an important topic to bring up.

On the Friday before Armed Forces Day, it's wise to bring the topic up with students. For older students, it's a great time to have an open discussion and debate about how the holiday will be celebrated, even about how pacifists should spend or celebrate the day. For younger students, it's a good idea to go through the wars taught during the previous semester in history classes, or speak about how a certain subject is used by the armed forces.

A great project for Armed Forces Day is something that should be done a couple of weeks in advance in order to effectively reach its recipients. Have a letter-writing hour for your students in which they thank someone in the armed forces. If the child knows someone personally, he may write to the soldier. Otherwise, you can send letters to any soldier, and someone will be happy to receive it. See Resources for where to send letters online and through the United States Postal Service.

Soldiers like to receive letters with pictures, news of what's going on at home and details of everyday life. They tend to love hearing about the home front, as that love for it has often propelled them to be in service to protect it. It's all right to write upbeat letters, even to soldiers serving in a war zone. Escapism may be the best gift the letter can provide. International Considerations
  • Armed Forces Day isn't merely a United States phenomenon. Many countries celebrate this holiday in remembrance of those who serve in the armed forces. For instance, Australia celebrates Anzac Day on April 25. Israel, Italy and the Republic of China also celebrate it, as do many other nations in the world.
  • Several nations of the world hold an annual Armed Forces Day to recognize, venerate, and honor their military forces.

Contents

KathyS
    0 Kudos

Wordsmith Words - The Cucumber, Believe it or not?

Believe it or not? 

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

5 Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6.. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

KathyS
    0 Kudos

The Cucumber-Mint Mojitos

Mint-Cucumber Mojitos
    "This refreshing version of mint mojitos features a springtime kick of cucumber. A pitcher of this can be made a few hours in advance - just add alcohol at serving time."
    Ready In:
     15 Min

Original Recipe Yield 1 cocktail

Ingredients
    • 1 lime, quartered
    • 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
    • 1 tablespoon white sugar
    • 2 slices cucumber
    • 6 cubes ice, or as needed
    • 2 ounces white rum (such as Bacardi®)
    • 4 fluid ounces club soda
    Directions
    1. Squeeze the lime quarters into a highball glass, and drop the limes into the glass. Add the mint leaves and sugar. Muddle well with the back of a spoon or with a muddler. Place the cucumber slices into the glass, and fill with ice cubes. Pour in the rum, then top off with club soda. Stir gently and serve.