Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

The Wordsmith Words - The Creature From The Black Lagoon

The Creature from the Black Lagoon was spotted carrying Queen Mother, Kathy, down into the labyrinths below the bottomless black moat, which surrounds the Kingdom's extensive castle properties of Wordsmithonia, for which, and by whom, this publication is said named after.

We do not know, as of this writing, whether Queen Mother, Kathy, will be be found alive, if or when she is found.  A search party, initiated by Dame Dulcinea of Fantasia, and land of Oz, was prompted to take up this search by the Kingdom's butler, Burgess, as he witnessed said monster to be carrying Queen Mother, Kathy, off the chaise lounge, she was lounging on....reading, sipping her Cappuccino, and sleeping, alternately.

No one has come forward, as yet, to continue this search.  Elves and fairies, and trolleys have mentioned getting a posse together, for rescue purposes, but it appears that Tinkerbell is putting a kabosh on this idea, as Tinkerbell apparently can't get over a snitty grudge she has had with Queen Mother, Kathy, over some apparent said love affair between she, Queen Mother Kathy, and the Green Knight.  Tinkerbell is said to have captured his heart, first, but the Green Knight turned green, when he saw Queen Mother Kathy, and remains green with envy, lust, and love, to this day.  But, we must be careful to not give credence to these rumors, as Tinkerbell had once thought she belonged to Peter Pan, and Wendy came alone and blew that out of the water!

Please, everyone, and anyone, is asked to help in this search for Queen Mother, Kathy.  If we do not get a response within a fortnight, we will have to assume Queen Mother, Kathy, has met her demise.  This will be a sad day for this Kingdom, as her son, King Ryan, and daughter, Princess Deb, have also gone missing.

By all reports, Queen Mother, Kathy, has been very sad as of late, and loneliness has caused her great depression.  She has been spotted walking over to the writing room, showing her tears to parchment paper, which is not like her, at all.  Our Queen Mother, Kathy, has been seen, as well, talking to the creatures of the forest, expecting them to talk, but we all know that not all of the creatures who live in this realm, can talk.  It is a fantasy to believe that.  Queen Mother, Kathy, is loosing her sense of reality, and the only way to help this poor woman, is to find her soon, before The Creature from the Black Lagoon has his way with her.  What, and which way, we are not certain, as there has been no one who has lived to tell the story.

Again, a plea for your help!

Respectfully,

The Wordsmith Words Scribe

Madame Thelma Tribune

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: The Wordsmith Words - The Creature From The Black Lagoon

Good news... well of a sort.

My friends the Trolls have told me of sight of our Queen. She being captured by the Fungus people. We need a dragon with fire breath or some who knows the Fungus language. To the rescue!

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Wordsmith Words - Daylight Saving!

Saving Time, Saving Energy
Daylight Saving Time: Its History and Why We Use It

clock face

by Bob Aldrich, Webmaster (retired)
California Energy Commission

Spring forward...Fall back....

It's ingrained in our consciousness almost as much as the A-B-Cs or our spelling reminder of "i before e...." And it's a regular event, though perhaps a bit less regular than the swallows coming back to Capistrano. (Though that may even change with the impacts of global climate change.)  Yet in those four words is a whole collection of trivia, facts and common sense about Daylight Saving Time.

Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time is extended one month and begins for most of the United States at:

2 a.m. on the Second Sunday in March

and lasts until

2 a.m. on the First Sunday of November.

The new start and stop dates were set in the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Read More about this interesting thing most of us do twice a year!

http://www.energy.ca.gov/daylightsaving.html

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: The Wordsmith Words - Daylight Saving!

KathyS wrote:

clock face

It's ingrained in our consciousness almost as much as the A-B-Cs or our spelling reminder of "i before e...." And it's a regular event, though perhaps a bit less regular than the swallows coming back to Capistrano. (Though that may even change with the impacts of global climate change.)  Yet in those four words is a whole collection of trivia, facts and common sense about Daylight Saving Time.

Beginning in 2007, Daylight Saving Time is extended one month and begins for most of the United States at:

and lasts until

The funny thing is that every year since they have changed it, I hear people being confused and thinking that it is the first year that it has changed.  This year I have also heard several people saying that it changes every year, and sometimes it falls in October and sometimes in November.

No - they changed it just once, several years ago, and it has been the same every year since then!

I was particularly aware of it when it changed, because I had to apply an update to a couple of our systems here at work to account for it.  The patch was buggy, so I had to figure out the right way to do it.

I just know that I hate it being pitch-black when I go home.  I think the shortening days would have done it sooner or later anyway, but it was still a bit light when I went home, but not now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

What Ellen has to say about - Daylight Saving!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

clock face

and lasts until

The funny thing is that every year since they have changed it, I hear people being confused and thinking that it is the first year that it has changed.  This year I have also heard several people saying that it changes every year, and sometimes it falls in October and sometimes in November.

No - they changed it just once, several years ago, and it has been the same every year since then!

I was particularly aware of it when it changed, because I had to apply an update to a couple of our systems here at work to account for it.  The patch was buggy, so I had to figure out the right way to do it.

I just know that I hate it being pitch-black when I go home.  I think the shortening days would have done it sooner or later anyway, but it was still a bit light when I went home, but not now!

Actually that's not true. They discuss every year how many time changes will be needed to keep the US updated to the seasonal change. However each state and county has the ability not to choose to follow the recomended rolls. Some still don't accept daylight savings time. And not too long ago (the last leap year) there were 3 rolls in my area one fall back, and 2 spring fowards.

So yes it can be confusing.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Yes, I do know that there is one state and some areas in another state (I think consisting mainly of Native American areas) that are programmatically excluded.  But as a country we are not changing back and forth from year to year - it has remained consistent since the change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Yes, I do know that there is one state and some areas in another state (I think consisting mainly of Native American areas) that are programmatically excluded.  But as a country we are not changing back and forth from year to year - it has remained consistent since the change.

Nope. Seriously look it up under the us government solar year sites. They yearly deside the changes. There has been one big shift to the day light saving program yes. But they govenment retains the right to make time changes as they see fit and set standards as they see fit and have done so.

Three daylight saving changes in 2008 (in my area at least). They we adding a hour and 12 mins for 2 months to right the calendar that year with our planets rotation of the sun.

KathyS
0 Kudos

B&N Review.com...Warbling Whitman

December 24, 2010
Warbling Whitman 

December 24: Walt Whitman's "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking," eventually one of the most well-known poems in Leaves of Grass, was published on this day in 1859. Titled "A Child's Reminiscence" when it first appeared in the New York Saturday Press, the editors framed the poem as a seasonal gift:

Our readers may, if they choose, consider as our Christmas or New Year's present to them, the curious warble, by Walt Whitman, of "A Child's Reminiscence," on our First Page. Like the "Leaves of Grass," the purport of this wild and plaintive song, well-enveloped, and eluding definition, is positive and unquestionable, like the effect of music.

The Christmas note is sounded by a mocking-bird in the central section of Whitman's "curious warble":

O throat! O trembling throat!

Sound clearer through the atmosphere!

Pierce the woods, the earth,

Somewhere listening to catch you

must be the one I want.

Shake out carols!

Solitary here, the night's carols!

Carols of lonesome love! death's carols!

Carols under that lagging, yellow, waning moon!

O under that moon where she droops

almost down into the sea!

O reckless despairing carols.

The first edition of Leaves of Grass came out in 1855; in 1859, as he prepared his upcoming third edition, Whitman tried to get as much exposure in the periodicals as possible. In this spirit, Whitman two weeks later followed up the poem's first publication with his own anonymous critique of it (and of the poet), this also published in The Saturday Press:

Is this man really any artist at all? Or not plainly a sort of naked and hairy savage, come among us, with yelps and howls, disregarding all our lovely metrical laws? How can it be that he offends so many and so much?

In answer to these questions, Whitman says that Whitman is a new voice, one appealing to "You, bold American! and ye future two hundred millions of bold Americans" who are tired of all the tired, old, Old World voices. The self-review closes by toasting the song, if not the singer:

Ah, if this Walt Whitman, as he keeps on, should ever succeed in presenting such music, such a poem, an identity, emblematic, in the regions of creative art, of the wondrous all-America, material and moral, he would indeed do something. And if he don't, the Mocking-Bird may at least have the satisfaction of dying in a good cause. But then again he looks so little like dying, anyhow.

Daybook is contributed by Steve King, who teaches in the English Department of Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland. His literary daybook began as a radio series syndicated nationally in Canada. He can be found online at todayinliterature.com.

KathyS

SMART ANSWERS OF THE YEAR

My dear readers, I, Lucille, better known as the literary Lipsink Lisper, of the Whispering Word, from the Kingdom of The Writing Robots of Smartassdom, wish to submit some wise, and smart answers to many questions that have come to our attention as of late.  Some may offend, for which I am unendingly sorry, so choose wisely to read.

1)   It was mealtime during an airline flight.
'Would you like dinner?', the flight attendant asked John, seated in front.
'What are my choices?' John asked.
'Yes or no,' she replied.

2)  A flight attendant was stationed at the departure gate to check tickets. As a man approached, she extended her hand for the ticket and he opened his trench coat and flashed her.
Without missing a beat, she said, 'Sir, I need to see your ticket, not your stub.'

3)  A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store but she couldn't find one big enough for her family. She asked a stock boy, ' Do these turkeys get any bigger?'
The stock boy replied, 'No ma'am, they're dead...'

4)  The police officer got out of his car as the kid who was stopped for speeding rolled down his window. 'I've been waiting for you all day,' the officer said.
The kid replied, Yeah, well I got here as fast as I could.'
When the cop finally stopped laughing, he sent the kid on his way without a ticket.

5)  A truck driver was driving along on the freeway and noticed a sign that read: Low Bridge Ahead. Before he knows it, the bridge is right in front of him and his truck gets wedged under it. Cars are backed up for miles.
Finally a police car comes up. The cop gets out of his car and walks to the truck driver, puts his hands on his hips and says, 'Got stuck, huh?'
The truck driver says, 'No, I was delivering this bridge and I ran out of gas.'

6)  A college teacher reminds her class of tomorrow's final exam. 'Now class, I won't tolerate any excuses for you not being here tomorrow. I might consider a nuclear attack or a serious personal injury, illness, or a death in your immediate family, but that's it, no other excuses whatsoever!'
A smart-ass student in the back of the room raised his hand and asked, 'What would you say if tomorrow I said I was suffering from complete and utter sexual exhaustion?'
The entire class is reduced to laughter and snickering. When silence was restored, the teacher smiled knowingly at the student, shook her head and sweetly said, 'Well, I guess you'd have to write the exam with your other hand.'

7)  A woman is standing nude looking in the bedroom mirror. She is not happy with what she sees and says to her husband, 'I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly... I really need you to pay me a compliment.'
The husband replies, 'Your eyesight's damn near perfect.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Queen Mother KathyS Abducted

This reporter, Lucid Lucille, reports that Queen Mother KathyS, of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia, has been abducted. 

By all reports from Snoky and Dorky, Princess Deb's dogs, she is being treated well by these phantom abductors in Wonderland, although feeling terribly lonely and wishes company.  By all history, she has never been away from her realm this long. 

The Kingdom of Wonderland belongs to the Princess Alice.  She wished to have the company of Queen Mother KathyS, but sources revealed that she forgot to use the formalities in her etiquette of invitation, so stole her away while our Queen Mother KathyS was innocently walking one evening along the path that leads to the Rabbit Hole.  Snorky and Dorky had been chasing a strange looking cat, and followed this cat to the Queen Mother's whereabouts

Also, my own sources observed this strange looking cat that day, along this same path.  The authorities now have this cat of interest in custody at this time, as he is under suspicion, but only bits and pieces of information, with the help of Meow Mix, have gotten him to open his mouth. 

This is all that he has said, thus far: 

Princess Alice has changed Queen Mother's name to Sara Randall Holmes, a commoner.  We believe that this was to throw the authorities off of the Meow Mix trail.  Until further information comes in, this will be the only contact source.

http://kathys-aliceinwonderland.blogspot.com/

In all honesty,

Yours Truly, Lucid Lucille

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Queen Mother KathyS Abducted

Oh Dear!  What will we ever do without our Beloved Queen Mother Kathy?!  She provides Stability to the Realm while King Ryan is out on his Extended Absences.  She is obviously very much Desirable, as she is continually being abducted!!!  First the Creature of the Black Lagoon, and now this Princess Alice!!!  I think I may need to Hide Out in my crystal palace of Fantasia in fear of being abducted Myself!!!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Queen Mother KathyS Abducted

Hmmmm.....I wonder what it is my mother is doing to get herself abducted so often.  I'm not sure that she's not paying someone to steal her out of the Kingdom.  I'm wondering if there is some handsome nobleman or logger somewhere that she is meeting on the sly but is afraid to introduce to the court. 

Now this is purely speculation on my part, something I really shouldn't say outloud.  I will get Sherlock Holmes and Nancy Drew on the case right away.  Maybe they can get to the bottom of this and find out the truth once and for all.

If my mother has been abducted against her will by this upstart Princess Alice, that young princess has no idea what she has started.  Broomhildaguard and Lion-O are ready to do what needs to be done to win my mother's freedom and see her safe return to the kindgom.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com