Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thoughts to Begin, to Progress, or End, your day

There isn't a day that goes by that we don't all have a thought for the events of the day(s).  Whether it be in the form of a wish, a curse, a rant (something bugging you), a prayer, a poem, a question, or an answer.  Each day, if you can, tell us your thoughts, in whatever form you choose.  This can be a discussion thread, where all are welcome to join in to talk about these thoughts.  All feelings are welcome, and treated with care and respect.

QM, Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

What now?

I'm feeling sad....Is it the demise of the kingdom? 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What now?

KathyS wrote:

I think that if the site performance ever goes back to normal, maybe the Kingdom will revive.  I know that they just posted something in the Announcements forum about the site being slow today, but I see no difference today from the excruciatingly slow performance I have come to expect, as it has been this way for months and months now.  I just don't have the time to spend hours and hours going through the various forums that I find interesting, and which used to take a fraction of the time.  And posting is even worse!  I do come to the Kingdom once in a while, but usually run out of free time before I get here.  I have been here three hours now, and have looked at the Arts & Entertainment, Classics, and Mystery forums only (and not reading all of the threads with new posts, either).  What also happens to me these days is that I read, but can't bear how slow it is to respond, and I don't have a couple more hours to actually participate.  It's really, really bad here at work, but at home it's even worse, as I have dial-up.  Sometimes I can't even face coming here at all when I'm at home.  The most irritating is how the page jumps up and down and up and down, and takes several minutes to calm down enough to let me even scroll.  Also, coming here frequently freezes my browser completely, and I have to shut down.  But apparently nobody cares, and I have given up on trying to communicate the precise problems on the support forums.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I think that if the site performance ever goes back to normal, maybe the Kingdom will revive.  I know that they just posted something in the Announcements forum about the site being slow today, but I see no difference today from the excruciatingly slow performance I have come to expect, as it has been this way for months and months now.  I just don't have the time to spend hours and hours going through the various forums that I find interesting, and which used to take a fraction of the time.  And posting is even worse!  I do come to the Kingdom once in a while, but usually run out of free time before I get here.  I have been here three hours now, and have looked at the Arts & Entertainment, Classics, and Mystery forums only (and not reading all of the threads with new posts, either).  What also happens to me these days is that I read, but can't bear how slow it is to respond, and I don't have a couple more hours to actually participate.  It's really, really bad here at work, but at home it's even worse, as I have dial-up.  Sometimes I can't even face coming here at all when I'm at home.  The most irritating is how the page jumps up and down and up and down, and takes several minutes to calm down enough to let me even scroll.  Also, coming here frequently freezes my browser completely, and I have to shut down.  But apparently nobody cares, and I have given up on trying to communicate the precise problems on the support forums.

Denise,

I hope you read this, because I don't blame you one bit.  My sentiments exactly.  I've been hating coming to any of these boards, because of these exact same reasons.  I just don't know what to do with this board, now that we're here.  I could write stories all day, or add stuff every day, but I don't know what it will take to get people to participate, even the old participants.  I want everyone to be a part of this board, not just me.  I could end up turning it into a personal blog, but it's not my board.  It belongs to everyone. 

I'm thinking of leaving it completely, until B&N decides to make the changes necessary to help get these boards back to what they used to be.  Faster and more efficient.  I'm tired of all of this downloading, just to read and post on a board.  I'm wondering if everyone else is feeling this way, too?  Or if they just don't want to participate on this paticular board anymore?  I'm at a loss.  Thanks for taking the time to express what you feel.  I appreciate it more than you know.

Kathy

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I keep having problems with logging in, sometimes I can't sometimes I can and have the time I'm only able to get into certain boards.  I'm hoping, like Denise, that once things settle down the Kingdom will thrive once again.  I apologize that I haven't been around more but that should change soon since things are starting to calm down a bit. 

I miss you all!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear

You know we have a lot of people reading these. And less than 20 of us post on here.

OK LURKERS!

You obviously find us entertaining on occasion at least. You want to see these threads stay? POST!

We're a friendly bunch, join the festivities!:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

got any ideas?

I've got one!  I think we need some festivities to liven up this bunch of lurkers!  See new thread!

TiggerBear wrote:

You know we have a lot of people reading these. And less than 20 of us post on here.

OK LURKERS!

You obviously find us entertaining on occasion at least. You want to see these threads stay? POST!

We're a friendly bunch, join the festivities!:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS

Re: Thoughts to Begin, to Progress, or End, Your Day

AMUSING APHORISMS from TAGA BUNDOK (TAGALOG FOR " HILLBILLY")

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light!

TWENTY NINE THOUGHTS TO MAKE YOU SMILE 

1.. My husband and I divorced over religious differences. He thought he was  GodI disagreed. 
2.. I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it. 
3.. Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them. 
4.. I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. 

5.. Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive. 
6.. You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me 
7... Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. 
8.. Earth is the insane asylum for the universe. 

9.. I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing. 
10.. Out of my mind. Back in five minutes. 
11.. NyQuil, the stuffy, sneezy, why is the room spinning, medicine. 
12.. God must love stupid people; He made so many. 
13.. The gene pool could use a little chlorine. 
14.. Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

15.. Ever stop to think, and forget to start again? 
16.. Being 'over the hill' is much better than being under it! 
17.. Wrinkled Was Not One of the Things I Wanted to Be When I Grew up. 
18 . Procrastinate Now!

19.. I Have a Degree in Liberal Arts; Do You Want Fries With That? 
20.. A hangover is the wrath of grapes. 
21.. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.
22.. Stupidity is not a handicap. Park elsewhere! 
23.. They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken
24.. He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless DEAD. 
25.. A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up a 1000 times the memory. 

26.. Ham and eggs...A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig. 
27.. The trouble
with life is there's no background music. 
28.. The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson. 

29.. I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on. 
KathyS
0 Kudos

Garden Musings?

TiggerBear wrote:

Just a suggestion. How about a garden musings thread over in Wordsmithonia?

TiggerBear wrote this in the Garden Board, which will be closed for good at the end of this month.

My thoughts on this:   I tended to write poems on that board, inspired by people on the board, or garden related topics, or from my own personal experiences, or readings. Becke then created a thread for anyone to participate in this kind of original thought, as long as it related in some way to gardens, or nature.  Some beautiful things were said, by several people on that board.  I hate the thought of all of those wonderful thoughts just lost in space, or to not be able to continue on with it.  It makes me sad to think about this.  The only way to save it, would be for Jon, or whomever, to move that thread over here.

I could start/create another thread here, of course.  Or anyone could, for that matter.  I can lock it to the top of the boards, if this is a topic that would interest anyone, besides me. Tell me what you think.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Garden Musings?

Well I'm all for moving it over. Though I often did not have much to add to that thread. It was a nice thing to get to see. I think it would be missed if it just went to archives.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Garden Musings?

I think it would be good for the thread and this board if it were moved.  It would pick traffic up and maybe some of them would stay around and discover the rest of our "kingdom"

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Little Larry

Larry watched, fascinated, as his mother smoothed cold cream on her face. 'Why do you do that, mommy?' he asked. 'To make myself beautiful,' said his mother, who then began removing the cream with a tissue. 'What's the matter, asked Larry ... 'Giving up?'

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Re: Little Larry

I'm feeling bored...it's summer in my country...no school, no nothing...agh...summer can be pretty boring...

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Summer months

[ Edited ]
_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

I'm feeling bored...it's summer in my country...no school, no nothing...agh...summer can be pretty boring...

Moon, you mention your country... Is it the US?  Or are you from a different country?  We have several different countries that participate on these boards, so it's not unusual for someone to talk about their winter, from Australia, while we, here in the US., are having our summers.

What do you normally do during your summer months?  Or, what would you like to do?  Do you have any brothers or sisters?

I used to love summers, away from school.  Reading gave me great pleasure.  Doing things with my friends was always fun.  I have an older brother, three years difference. We'd spend a lot of the summer months at my grandmother's house,...trees to climb, and a city park next door...where we'd play with other kids our age. 

We'd ride our bikes all over the town.  It was freedom for me to be outside. Our family took a vacation every summer.  Sometimes it was fun, sometimes even these vacations could get boring...driving and driving for hours....I couldn't read in the car, or I'd get car sick....so I stared out the window, and made up stories in my head. 

My brother and I got along, and we'd play games, making up those usual car games to keep from getting too bored.  No electronic games, then.  I made sure, when my own kids were young, we would stop often, and let them play in a park, or have a pic-nic lunch...anything to get them outside in the fresh air. 

I remember 14.  It's kind of an in-between age.  You get bored easily.  At that age, our family lived across the street from the high school, where my brother and I went to school.   I was 13, when I was a freshman.  The schools, then, weren't gated, so the grounds were open during those summers.  The gym was set up with ping-pong tables, trampolines, and other things to keep us entertained.   I also kept busy with a friend.  We entered intramural badminton tournaments.   

And, that was the year my dad taught me how to drive a car,  in the teacher's parking lot.  An old stick shift, black Ford convertible.  I was one of those kids that grew up in the Rock and Roll era, where convertibles were cool!  I was cool!  Ha!  But, I still had my bike to get me around.  The LA river was down the street, and down we'd go, down the cement sides of the river bank, just to hit the sandy bottom and go crashing over the handlebars!   Not so cool!  Growing up in Southern California, where beach parties were always on the agenda!  Summers were pretty cool for me.

I hope they will be for you, too, Moon.  You can always come to The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia, and we can play together in this make-believe world!   We can make your summer fun!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Summer months

Oh I sympathsise. Summer was boring growing up, too hot to do much and school friends out of reach. The library and the 2 weeks we'd actually go do something, were pretty much all I had.

Now summer is just too busy to be fun. Spring starts the insane overtime treadmill. Hubby sleeps if he's not working. I get one unmolested day for July 4th to have a cookout and catch fireworks. And the rare squeeze in of a movie outing. Well at least the gardens doing half way decent. Come on fall and free time. (soft laughter)

It's a warm spring here, got to 82 round noon.

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

I live in Asia. I'm a filipina. :smileyhappy:

Wow, your summer sounds soooo good. WIsh my summer is like that. 

Right now, my summer is the most boring summer I've ever had! Usually at this time of the year my family and I were out somewhere in a beach or resort. But now, I'm just here at home doing practically nothing. I almost wish it's school time.

KathyS
0 Kudos

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

I live in Asia. I'm a filipina. :smileyhappy:

Wow, your summer sounds soooo good. WIsh my summer is like that. 

Right now, my summer is the most boring summer I've ever had! Usually at this time of the year my family and I were out somewhere in a beach or resort. But now, I'm just here at home doing practically nothing. I almost wish it's school time.

Ha!  I sometimes wish my summers were like that, again, when I was a kid growing up!  We all have boring summers, though, at one time or another in our lives.  Are you into any kind of crafts, or hobbies?  Are there any schools open for summer sessions?

We have community colleges that have summer sessions for all ages.  From little kids, teens, through adults.  Painting, pottery, etc.  Writing classes, too.  The arts in community education is high on our list.

Welcome to the wide, wild, and wacky world of B&N!....You speak (write) as a native to the US!  :smileyhappy:  I would have never known English wasn't your first language!  Great job!

Kathy

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Ha!  I sometimes wish my summers were like that, again, when I was a kid growing up!  We all have boring summers, though, at one time or another in our lives.  Are you into any kind of crafts, or hobbies?  Are there any schools open for summer sessions?

We have community colleges that have summer sessions for all ages.  From little kids, teens, through adults.  Painting, pottery, etc.  Writing classes, too.  The arts in community education is high on our list.

Welcome to the wide, wild, and wacky world of B&N!....You speak (write) as a native to the US!  :smileyhappy:  I would have never known English wasn't your first language!  Great job!

Kathy

Well, i used to love painting, but grew tired of it and never touched a paintbrush ever since. I think my only hobbies these days are reading and writing poems.. 

Yes, there are schools open for summer sessions. Last summer I took a swimming lesson. 

I go to Kumon though. It's a like a school but it only teaches 2 subjects: Reading and Math. I've finished the Reading Program last summer. Now, I'm taking the Math Program. I do Kumon not only in summer. 

Oh, I forgot, I play basketball almost every afternoon. I think that's the only sport I'm really good at. lol.. I would like to play soccer and volleyball but we can't find any school where I can enroll. 

One last thing, I'm homeschooled. :smileywink:

KathyS
0 Kudos

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

Well, i used to love painting, but grew tired of it and never touched a paintbrush ever since. I think my only hobbies these days are reading and writing poems.. 

Yes, there are schools open for summer sessions. Last summer I took a swimming lesson. 

I go to Kumon though. It's a like a school but it only teaches 2 subjects: Reading and Math. I've finished the Reading Program last summer. Now, I'm taking the Math Program. I do Kumon not only in summer. 

Oh, I forgot, I play basketball almost every afternoon. I think that's the only sport I'm really good at. lol.. I would like to play soccer and volleyball but we can't find any school where I can enroll. 

One last thing, I'm homeschooled. :smileywink:

Hi Moon,

It sounds like you have quite a good education.  You say you are home schooled.  I've always wondered what that's like.  We do have home schooled children here in the US, but I grew up before this was popular. I went to public school.  And that was a hundred years ago!  lol. 

Because of your age, did you have to get permission from your parents to join B&N?  I think it's under 16, when it becomes an issue.  There are a lot of adult subjects that take place on these boards, although, no one wants to offend minors, and we do our best not to.  You shouldn't have to worry on this board, we keep the language pretty safe, but sometimes the subject matter may get over the top, if you know what I mean.  Suggestive, is the word I would use for it.  :smileyhappy:  I hope we don't offend you in any way.

Do you like to travel?  It's always fun for me to hear about these adventures that people have, and writing stories is kind of like sharing those fantasy adventures (sometimes real) we take.  Or sometimes you mix the two together, and really get the imagination going.  I hope you enjoy being here...I know it's not a board for everyone, but I think for those who have found it, like yourself, it can be really enjoyable.  The really fun part is to take a story, and put twists and turns in it, so others can pick up on it and join in with their own twists. 

The stories I've written are sometimes hard, I think, for others to join....that's the trouble with my thoughts, I know the beginning, the middle, and usually the end.  Kayla is doing great with her storyline, and it's been fun, and I'm thinking of taking it into the interactive story thread, and continue it there.....and everyone will be welcome to jump in at any time, as they always are, and we'll see how it can twist and turn.

Novels are sometimes written this way, by several authors....just to see where a story will lead them.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's fun to try, never the less.  I've been waiting for enough voices to enter this board, to do just that.  So, be ready!  :smileyhappy:  And, thanks for sharing a little about yourself!  It's nice getting to know you.

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Kathy according to the head mods the age is 14 for admittance.

Moon would you mind explaining Kumon? Ive done a good bit of research on US homeschooling and that's a term I have not heard before.