Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Summer months

Thanks, Tigger....I wasn't sure of the age.  I feel so blasted old these days!  :smileyvery-happy:  And thanks for asking Moon your question.  :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear wrote:

Kathy according to the head mods the age is 14 for admittance.

Moon would you mind explaining Kumon? Ive done a good bit of research on US homeschooling and that's a term I have not heard before.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Moon,

I went to public school but I knew some kids that were homeschooled. They were actually ahead of the public school cirriculum! I was jealous because they got to work at their own pace while I was stuck, bored out of my mind, in public school.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Moon would you mind explaining Kumon? Ive done a good bit of research on US homeschooling and that's a term I have not heard before.

Since I couldn't explain Kumon that much. I just googled it. Hope you understand it better. :smileyhappy:

The Kumon Method is an individualized learning method that allows each student to study at the level in which they are comfortable, regardless of age or grade level. This is accomplished by a focus on self-study that enables students to acquire not only basic academic abilities, but also concentration skills, good study habits, confidence, a sense of self-affirmation, a sense of achievement, a challenging spirit and an ability to learn by themselves. In addition, students learn at their own pace, one small step at a time. These characteristics of the Kumon Method do allow enough flexibility for optimal learning, while allowing students to retain their own dreams and goals. 

Mathematics and language materials are available for study. The learning target for mathematics is the acquisition of necessary skills for high school level mathematics, while the learning target for language is the acquisition of comprehensive ability to read and absorb long passages of written materials.

_____

I've completed the Reading Program last year in June. I can tell you, it's so hard. The last level in it is for second year college already, so you can just imagine how hard it is for me - a mere freshman in high school. :smileyindifferent: 

Now, I'm taking the math which is a LOT harder than reading. 

Um, do you understand Kumon better now, TIggerbear. I hope so... 

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_

TiggerBear wrote:

Since I couldn't explain Kumon that much. I just googled it. Hope you understand it better. :smileyhappy:

The Kumon Method is an individualized learning method that allows each student to study at the level in which they are comfortable, regardless of age or grade level. This is accomplished by a focus on self-study that enables students to acquire not only basic academic abilities, but also concentration skills, good study habits, confidence, a sense of self-affirmation, a sense of achievement, a challenging spirit and an ability to learn by themselves. In addition, students learn at their own pace, one small step at a time. These characteristics of the Kumon Method do allow enough flexibility for optimal learning, while allowing students to retain their own dreams and goals. 

Mathematics and language materials are available for study. The learning target for mathematics is the acquisition of necessary skills for high school level mathematics, while the learning target for language is the acquisition of comprehensive ability to read and absorb long passages of written materials.

_____

I've completed the Reading Program last year in June. I can tell you, it's so hard. The last level in it is for second year college already, so you can just imagine how hard it is for me - a mere freshman in high school. :smileyindifferent: 

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Moon,

I went to public school but I knew some kids that were homeschooled. They were actually ahead of the public school cirriculum! I was jealous because they got to work at their own pace while I was stuck, bored out of my mind, in public school.

I know what you mean by homeschoolers being ahead of regular students. I guess that's one of the reasons I like being homeschooled. I'm 1 year advance than most of the kids my age are. But sometimes, it can be a little monotonous too. Cause you don't meet a lot of people. You don't make friends always..so it can be a little boring sometimes. :smileywink: but i still like it anyway. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

_____

Yes thank you, that will do the trick.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

_mOonSeeKer_ wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

_____

Yes thank you, that will do the trick.

Ok now the world has gotten weird. Watching late night TV Fine Living and bam add spot for Kumon learning tips. :smileysurprised:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Summer months - Kumon

TiggerBear, it's kind of like when you buy a new car...yellow, and think you're cool, the only yellow car on the road, and before you know it every car you see seems to be yellow!  :smileyvery-happy:  Maybe, it's a little like heightened awareness?  I've never heard of this name, or schooling.  It's new to me.

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok now the world has gotten weird. Watching late night TV Fine Living and bam add spot for Kumon learning tips. :smileysurprised:

KathyS

Insanity Therapy

[ Edited ]
1.. At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and point a Hair Dryer At Passing Cars. See If They Slow Down.
Page Yourself Over The Intercom. Don't Disguise Your Voice!
Every Time Someone Asks You To Do Something, ask If They Want Fries with that.
4. Put Decaf In The Coffee Maker For 3 Weeks . Once Everyone has Gotten Over Their Caffeine Addictions, Switch to Espresso.
In the Memo Field Of All Your Checks, Write ' For Marijuana.
Skip down the hall Rather Than Walk and see how many looks you get.
Order a Diet Water whenever you go out to eat, with a serious face.
Specify That Your Drive-through Order Is 'To Go'.
9. Sing Along At The Opera.
Five Days In Advance, Tell Your Friends You Can't Attend Their Party Because You have a headache.
When The Money Comes Out The ATM, Scream 'I Won! I Won!'
When Leaving the Zoo, Start Running towards the Parking lot, Yelling 'Run For Your Lives! They're Loose!'
. Tell Your Children Over Dinner, 'Due To The Economy, We Are Going To Have To Let One Of You Go.'

And The Final Way To Keep A Healthy Level Of Insanity

PICK UP A BOX OF CONDOMS AT THE PHARMACY, GO TO THE COUNTER AND ASK WHERE THE FITTING ROOM IS.
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Re: Insanity Therapy

That's too funny, the weird thing is that I've done some of those things :smileyvery-happy:!

Here's another one:

When your in an elevator full of people, raise your arms over your head and say, "wee" as the elevator goes down.

When your in a empty restaurant ask a customer if you could sit with them because of the lack of tables.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Insanity Therapy

You've done some of those things!  Dare I ask which ones?  lol.  Thanks for adding yours to the mix; good ones!...We need all the help we can get!  :smileyvery-happy:  I'm ditzy and goofy at times, but not always that gutsy!  I take my hat off to those of you who will admit to doing any of these things!  [[[see me clapping my hands!]]]]

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

That's too funny, the weird thing is that I've done some of those things :smileyvery-happy:!

Here's another two:

When your in an elevator full of people, raise your arms over your head and say, "wee" as the elevator goes down.

When your in a empty restaurant ask a customer if you could sit with them because of the lack of tables.

KathyS

Ten Thoughts To Ponder, for 2010 (not rated)

Ten Thoughts to Ponder for 2010

Number 10
Life is sexually transmitted

Number 9

Good health is merely the slowest
  possible rate at which one can die.

Number 8

Men have two emotions:

Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich. 

Number 7

Give a person a fish and you feed them for
a day, teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Number 6

Some people are like a Slinky... 
not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile 
when you shove them down the stairs. 

Number 5

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,

lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Number 4

All of us could take a lesson from the weather.

It pays no attention to Criticism.

Number 3

Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200.00

and a substantial tax cut saves you $30.00?

Number 2

In the 60's,
 people took acid to make the world weird. 
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal....

And The Number 1 Thought For 2010
 : 
" Life is like a jar of jalapeno peppers 
What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

KathyS

UNIVERSAL TRUTHS - SOME WONDERFUL IRONY

SOME WONDERFUL IRONY [Lynne Jacobs] # ERE...ENJOY

UNIVERSAL TRUTHS

1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.  

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How in the world are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?  

6. Was learning cursive really necessary? 

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on #5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of  my neighborhood. 

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.  

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.  

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.  

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.  

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page research paper that I swear I did not make any changes to.

14. "Do not machine wash or tumble dry" means I will never wash this - ever.  

15. I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?  

16. I hate leaving my house confident and looking good and then not seeing anyone of importance the entire day. What a waste.  

17. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.  

18. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

19. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

20. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

21. Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and suddenly realize I had no idea what the heck was going on when I first saw it.  

22. I would rather try to carry 10 plastic grocery bags in each hand than take 2 trips to bring my groceries in.  

23. The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.  

24. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.  

25. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?  

26. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent an idiot from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!  

27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.  

28. Is it just me or do high school kids get dumber & dumber every year?

29. There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far.  

30. As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists.  

31. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is. 

32. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet my behind everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

Frequent Contributor
largerthanlife
0 Kudos

Re: UNIVERSAL TRUTHS - SOME WONDERFUL IRONY

[ Edited ]

23. The only time I look forward to a red light is when I'm trying to finish a text.  

God, i am so guilty of that one (several times this week---finals induce that stupidest of behaviors :smileyhappy:

"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"