Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Wordsmithonia

My Dear Nephew,I am so glad to hear all is well at the Kingdom.Please give your Mother,my sister,The Queen my best .I will will be passing by in a few days with my new husband Count Basil.We have purchased the property down Lavender Lane,and will be busy for quite some time.I do not expect an invitation.When we are have our "Coming Out Ball",I would like to extend an invitation to my "Family' My Heart will be Broken if you do not respond,,Countess  Victoria Bethany Marie Von Schinkel.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis

[ Edited ]

Greetings and Salutations, citizens of Wordsmithonia! I, Queen Mother Bee of Gardenclubonia, Gnominal Ruler of the Gnomes, and The Baroness Barnesandnobilia, bring heartfelt welcome from the Grand Duchy of Cincinnattus. May I extend the Wenceslauses of the season to your royals and nobles with this little ode? It was a favorite of my long lost brother, Kenute of Kentuckia, when he was a wee lad.

King John's Christmas

King John was not a good man -
He had his little ways.
And sometimes no one spoke to him
For days and days and days.
And men who came across him,
When walking in the town,
Gave him a supercilious stare,
Or passed with noses in the air -
And bad King John stood dumbly there,
Blushing beneath his crown.

King John was not a good man,
And no good friends had he.
He stayed in every afternoon ...
But no one came to tea.
And, round about December,
The cards upon his shelf
Which wished him lots of Christmas cheer,
And fortune for the coming year,
Were never from his near and dear,
But only from himself.

Yet had his hopes and fears.
They'd given him no present now
For years and years and years.
But every year at Christmas,
While minstrels stood about,
Collecting tribute from the young
For all the songs they might have sung,
He stole away upstairs and hung
A hopeful stocking out.

He lived his life aloof;
Alone he thought a message out
While climbing on the roof.
He wrote it down and propped it
Against the chimney stack:
"TO ALL AND SUNDRY - NEAR AND FAR -
F. CHRISTMAS IN PARTICULAR."
And signed it not "Johannes R."
But very humbly, "JACK."

"I want some crackers,
And I want some candy;
I think a box of chocolates
Would come in handy;
I don't mind oranges,
I do like nuts!
And I SHOULD like a pocket-knife
That really cuts.
And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball!"

He wrote this message out,
And gat him to his room again,
Descending by the spout.
And all that night he lay there,
A prey to hopes and fears.
"I think that's him a-coming now,"
(Anxiety bedewed his brow.)
"He'll bring one present, anyhow - 
The first I've had for years."

"Forget about the crackers,
And forget about the candy;
I'm sure a box of chocolates
Would never come in handy;
I don't like oranges,
I don't want nuts,
And I HAVE got a pocket-knife
That almost cuts.
But, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball!"

Next morning when the sun
Rose up to tell a waiting world 
That Christmas had begun,
And people seized their stockings,
And opened them with glee,
And crackers, toys and games appeared,
And lips with sticky sweets were smeared,
King John said grimly: "As I feared,
Nothing again for me!"

"I did want crackers,
And I did want candy;
I know a box of chocolates
Would come in handy;
I do love oranges,
I did want nuts.
I haven't got a pocket-knife -
Not even one that cuts.
And, oh! if Father Christmas had loved me at all,
He would have brought a big, red india-rubber ball!"

King John stood by the window,
And frowned to see below
The happy bands of boys and girls
All playing in the snow.
A while he stood there watching,
And envying them all ...
When through the window big and red
There hurtled by his royal head,
And bounced and fell upon the bed,
An india-rubber ball!

AND, OH, FATHER CHRISTMAS,
MY BLESSINGS ON YOU FALL
FOR BRINGING HIM 
A BIG, RED, 
INDIA-RUBBER BALL! 

~ A A Milne, Now We Are Six 1927

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Welcome Queen Bee from Debbie Countess of Night Island, so dubbed by our liege King Ryan.

I hope your stay is a pleasant one and please know that all creatures under my care will provide safe passage if need be.

New User
Karana_Charlotte

My Wonderful Lieges of Literature and Wordsmithonia,

I bow before you with humble aspirations to be appointed to your service. My name is Lady Karana Charlotte and I leave behind a kingdom of islands, dolphins and friendship. The kingdom of Porpoisinia has great need for their lady to embark on new adventures and be entrusted with quests that will both delight and enrich her life. She is wed to a wonderful lord named Roberto Charlotte and has two wonderful sires James and Foxtrot who are the pride of our eyes. I come from a land of great tornadoes and blizzards of snow. I look forward to your reply to my bid for residence within your land. Please send your reply by my great snowy owl, Constance. I bid you good 'morrow.

With greatest respect,

Lady Karana Charlotte

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

My Lady Karana Charlotte,

I welcome you and your family into our Kingdom.  You are welcome with open arms and hearts.  We have need of new blood here so we are most delighted to see you brining your entire family.  My son, Prince Aidan, would be delighted to show your children around and introduce them to all types of new friends.  You are welcome to make use a suite of rooms here in the royal palace, meet with our architects and designers so they can build your castle to your specifications.  Which reminds me, I must grant you a holding here in Wordsmithonia.

I hereby appoint you Lady Karana, Baroness of Fionavar.  You will be both protector and landlord to those living within your borders, and I expect you to fulfill your obligations with grace and kindness.

I would also suggest that you read over the Who's Who thread and provide portraits of yourself, husband, and children so we may have a reference to go by.  If for some reason you don't have any on hand, I will send our royal portrait painter, Edward Gorey, to you so he can get to work.

Welcome to our Kingdom where I hope you find much laughter and friendship.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Let me introduce myself. I am Charlie The Illusionist  and I am seeking residence in this land. My enchanted monkey and I have traveled for a long period of time, and have even got the chance to meet some amazing people who have given us the chance to learn the magic of the illusion.

I hereby have decided to live in this land and offer to you, King ryan , Queen Kathy, Princess Deb and your dear mother my services. I will serve you whenever you need me, my illusions can convince the most evil person , and can even give hope to little kids in times of war. I believe that my illusions can help send the message of peace around Wordsmithsonia and therefore I am at your service .

I thank you King Ryan for considering my services, I wil await your answer , patiently.

May all the forces of good protect you and your family.

Charlie The Illusionist.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Lady TiggerBear wants to know the monkey's name so she can invite him to tea. You're welcome too of course, but tea with a monkey is not to be missed.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

The monkeys name is Audric, I do warn you to be careful, this monkey is smart and loves playing tricks on people.

Karl Theodor Jaspers

KathyS
0 Kudos

Dear Sir Charlie, The Illusionist,

I fear my son, King Ryan, is out of the castle on errands this morning, so I will welcome you to the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia, myself. I'm glad Lady TiggerBear was here to greet you this morning.  I do tend to sleep in, at times.  The holiday's cleaning is still going on, and I have been up late overseeing these matters.

I also welcome your Mr. Monkey Audric, but with understanding that he be kept under control.  We have many mysterious creatures who live near and far, that can get rather curious of new neighbors, and trickterious, when provoked by new faces on the premises.  The Trollies, in particular, have been known to silently sneak up on one, and scare the bejeezes out of you.  Mr. Monkey Audric will be safe, here, but with such intelligence, he may want to wander.  He may find himself in places he is not familiar, and become lost.  If you read through the Glossary pamphlet, which you were given when entering the Kingdom, you will see all who inhabit this realm.  Please make note of the troublesome creatures.  Also, the dungeon has many rooms to explore.  You may do so at your own risk.  There is still a monster that lurks in our moat, but seems to sleep during the winter months.  Summer is full of fancy for everyone who lives here, and the noise tends to awaken this creature.  Just be aware that he is there.

Princess Deb seems to be away at the moment, as well.  The holidays scare her and she hides herself in her room with her hounds, Snorky and Dorky, too many lights and sparkly things will frighten her, is our guess.  She was scared at birth by a package of tinsel that fell from a shelf, and clung to her face.  She comes and goes freely, as others of our realm do, but hope to see everyone returning soon.  Our next celebration will be in February, our month devoted entirely to love.  As you may have guessed, we are a realm not only of mysteries, but of celebrations.

Burgess, our butler, will show you to your rooms, now, and whatever you wish, simply ring, we are at your service.  Come into the Solarium, when you have settled, and tell us a bit about yourself. 

Afternoon tea will be served at 2:00.  We have many time zones, and climates, on the castle grounds, just to note that everyone is either early, or late, for whatever is happening..... So, any time is a good time. Enjoy.

Queen Mother,

Kathy S., Duchy of Highland Palms

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your warm welcoming , Charlie The Illusionist would like to start working in illusions for February , I will ask Audric to start collecting images and potions to start decorating the castle, pleae don't be scared if you see certain dragons or creatures around my room, experimentation with this illusions can be hardm but dont worry I wont let it get out of hand.

Karl Theodor Jaspers

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

CharlieG31 wrote:

The monkeys name is Audric, I do warn you to be careful, this monkey is smart and loves playing tricks on people.

(chuckle) Not a problem. After all the Trolls live with me. :smileyvery-happy:

Tea Saturday around three.

Banana scones, banana pudding, and red tea will be served. Anyone who wants to meet Audric and our new illusionist, please come.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Where will this Tea take place?

Karl Theodor Jaspers

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Oh sorry.  :smileysurprised:One of the gardens the one with the fountain of the faery. Follow the decorations, you can't miss it.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Ok I will start collecting some tea leaves ,you bring the water and the sugar , I'm sure I can come up with some illusions for mere entertainment, Hope to see you there.

Karl Theodor Jaspers

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Charlie The Illusionist has just remembered with nostalgia a time when legends would rule the kingdoms and kids would believe in magic and in the magical creatures that lived in the forest. What legends do each citizen of Wordsmithsonia know? Charlie The Illusionist will be very pleased to read the legends that rule this kingdom. I will start searching in my writings for a legend I can share with you.

Karl Theodor Jaspers

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

CharlieG31 wrote:

Thanks so much for your warm welcoming , Charlie The Illusionist would like to start working in illusions for February , I will ask Audric to start collecting images and potions to start decorating the castle, pleae don't be scared if you see certain dragons or creatures around my room, experimentation with this illusions can be hardm but dont worry I wont let it get out of hand.

Welcome Charlie The Illusionist!

I am glad to see you have found your way to our land.  Everyone here would love to see all the creatures around your rooms.  As we have many different creatures and beings living here in our land.  There are many in the gardens and around the castles.  Please do not be worried as they are all friendly, yet like your monkey Audric some love to play tricks on others.  Just beware to keep your eyes open when you are walking.  *giggle*  You never know what you will see.

As for dragons King Ryan and myself have very close friends whom we travel and live with.  My dragons name is Kenya.  She stays close with me as she is very protective and has taken to me and my family.  She does make trips on her own as well around the kingdom, but tries to not stay away long.

Looking forward to your wonderful Illusions here in the realm.

Welcome!

Lady Melissa

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Charlie, please excuse my rude absence. I've had some trouble keeping all my creatures of the night settled lately (must be time for the wild hunt). But let me now welcome you and let you know that King Ryan and the Queen mum are such the entertainers and will keep you and Audric in stitches and peanuts.

I hope to see you soon at tea (I like Blueberry, if you're wondering).

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

To all of the realm,

I would like to introduce eveyrone to a newcomer to our kingdom, I should have done this a few days ago but matters of state have blocked me from doing so.

Lady Luanne is herby named Duchess of Andor and Guardian of The Wheel of Time.

Please welcome her with open arms.

Our royal portrait painter, Edward Gorey, just finished her offical portrait for the Gallery.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
pen21
0 Kudos

Thank you King Ryan and all for your warm welcome.

It is taking time for me to settle in.

My first priority is to get the Royal Japanese Chins accustomed to their new home.

The cottage and surrounding gardens are wonderful for us to walk in.

You will see us out and about getting acquainted with the kingdom.

Here is the official portrait of the Royal Japanese Chins.

May I introduce Mika and Emi.

Lady Luanne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Thank you King Ryan and all for your warm welcome.

It is taking time for me to settle in.

My first priority is to get the Royal Japanese Chins accustomed to their new home.

The cottage and surrounding gardens are wonderful for us to walk in.

You will see us out and about getting acquainted with the kingdom.

Here is the official portrait of the Royal Japanese Chins.

May I introduce Mika and Emi.

Lady Luanne

Awwww