Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Attention - Concerning Animal droppings

[ Edited ]

Good morning Kingdom,

I have been out walking this morning, as is my morning habit, when I happened upon a little message in the garden.  As I bent over a particularly favorite tea rose of mine, one which has the most beautiful fragrance, I saw, (and smelled) something other than a sweetness, lying in a pile next to this lush flowering plant.  Just as a reminder, Lady Lauanne, and all others with pets, would it be possible, in the future, to try to remove all droppings? It would be of great help to all of us, and the staff. 

And Lady Luanne, my daughter, Princes Deb, has two rambunctious hounds, Snorky and Dorky, and even though they are the most friendly of hounds, they do tend to bound, when least expecting.  Please watch that they do not scare your little tikes.  Be aware that these hounds roam the castle grounds, usually unattended.  Princes Deb has left them in the care of her brother, King Ryan, and his duties take him off to other lands, often, and he then leaves their care to our Butler, Burges.  Poor Burges is very busy, himself, and to make this long narrative a little shorter, I would just alert anyone to be careful where they step on the lawns. 

Our head Gardner, Papa Smurf, does try to pick up after these hundreds of animals. And as over-seer of the hundred acre woods,  he has now had to assign a crew of Smurfs to attend to just this duty.  And Winnie-The-Pooh has agreed to help in this ongoing situation.

We have every sort of animal on these premises, besides personal pets, and It would help him so much if everyone who has a pet, take responsibility for their own pet's poop pickup.  We have pooper-scoopers and receptacles just for this purpose.  Ask Burges, and he will show you where this is kept.  For the dragon poop-pickup, Pooh is in charge, and does have gas masks, boots and gloves available, if anyone is interested in helping him. I am just making you aware of the hazards of living in these areas surrounding the castle.  The forest animals are particularly careless at night, and tend to wander near the pool area.  In saying this, night swimming is particularly hazardous when lights are turned off.  Pooh tries particularly hard to pick up all poop, which he is please as punch to participate in the odorous occupation.  It is very hard to find someone to do this job, with such zeal!

I thank you, Papa Smurf thanks you, and last but not least, Pooh thanks you so much for helping with your own personal pet poo pick up.

Queen Mother,

Kathy - Duchy of Highland Palms

pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Attention - Concerning Animal droppings

Queen Kathy,

I totally agree. If is for our health and those of our pets that we must pick up after them. I carry extra bags so I can pick up after my pets and others (even the wild animals), but also to pick up litter. We do not want to ruin the gardens or the lawns. I have met Papa Smurf, he is a busy smurf. I haven't seen Pooh yet, but look forward to meeting him. Thanks for the tip on the gasmask, I will now know he is working while wearing it.

And do not worry my little ones are use to big dogs. They have no idea they are small. I am looking forward to meeting Snorky and Dorky.

Lady Luanne and the Chins

KathyS

Re: Attention - Concerning Animal droppings

pen21 wrote:

Queen Kathy,

I totally agree. If is for our health and those of our pets that we must pick up after them. I carry extra bags so I can pick up after my pets and others (even the wild animals), but also to pick up litter. We do not want to ruin the gardens or the lawns. I have met Papa Smurf, he is a busy smurf. I haven't seen Pooh yet, but look forward to meeting him. Thanks for the tip on the gasmask, I will now know he is working while wearing it.

And do not worry my little ones are use to big dogs. They have no idea they are small. I am looking forward to meeting Snorky and Dorky.

Lady Luanne and the Chins

Thank you so much, Lady Luanne, for you conscientiousness, and this sign.  Papa Smurf did think to place these signs around the grounds.  But you will see, as you get more acquainted with the Kingdom, a lot of the animals and pet owners, do not speak or read the common language of English.  We would need these signs in multiple languages to even come close to being effective.  The pictures say a thousand words, but they still are ignored.  This is the results of past sign postings.  Now, we simply alert everyone, and send the forces out to clean up, or avert problems.  At one time Pooh did not want to put the gas mask on his face, but now he knows his pay is in bunches of honey combs.  If you see him without his gas mask, and smiling, it means it is payday!  Thank you, everyone, for your support in this sometimes troublesome problem.

QM Kathy

Funny Picture DogsFunny Signs - No feeding fingers to the animalsFunny Signs - No feeding fingers to the animals

Penguins - no diving noticeNo feeding - Animal eats the sign

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Re: Welcome to Wordsmithonia

To the good people of Wordsmithonia,

It appears in my travels I have stumbled upon your kingdom and have found it to be most interesting and curious. I come from the land of the Brick Wall-- a land surrounded by a large brick wall that denies entrance and exit from the land. My mere curiousity of what was outside the wall led me on an adventure to the find an opening. I can assure you there was indeed no opening but i found a very old and sturdy tree which allowed me to climb up and peer over the wall. Before I could get much of a look, however, my perch broke and I fell on the opposite side of wall.

At once I was filled with dread, for I'd never been on the otherside of the confining yet comforting wall. Those feelings passed quite quickly when my curiosity took hold of me and I began to explore my new surroundings.

So off I went to explore the world. I will say I have been traveling for some time and have come across very perculiar situations but none so interesting as Wordsmithsonia. I would like, if it pleases the people, to take up residence here and maybe offer some tales of my travels. I do think I could make a few, though small, contributions to your wonderful land.

Sincerely,

Crzynwrd4lf

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My dear Crzynwrd4lf,

As I will speak on behalf of our Kingdom, we would be most honored to have you come and live within our realm.  We have a very long history, and hope you will be able to delve into it, at your leisure, to familiarize yourself with the comings and goings of these people.

I see you have already taken part in our Haiku celebration of the season, which makes me very happy, indeed.  You have already learned the language of our land. 

As my son, King Ryan, has had much difficulty with his letter carrier service, these past few months, and duties have called him away from the realm, therefore, he was not able to officially welcome you.  He will be most excited to greet you properly, and assign you your title and position as soon as he returns.

Would you like to have another name, perhaps your real name....other than Crzynwd4lf?

Your story is most intriguing, and I look forward to hearing more.  In the Solarium, you will see we are a relaxed group, where you may talk freely (our version of a Com. Rm.), or read, or eat at any hour, day or night.  We also love a good party, and any occasion is enough to warrant one!  At this moment, most of our group are having an ongoing party on Becke's Mystery Board....The thread is, -------Party Central, With Apologies to Paul!   Queen Pollenasia (Becke, who used to have the Garden Board) is a great hostess!  She also has rooms here in the castle, but has been so busy with her own kingdom, our people have gone to visit her, and I am sure, keeping her thoroughly entertained between her moderating duties!

If you see a place or subject, within this realm, you would like to respond to, please do not hesitate.  The Wordsmith Words is our form of newspaper.  If you have something you want to 'publish', feel free.  It can be anything from silly to serious...real or fantasy...your choice.  This board is for all to use.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Very Truly Yours,

Kathy

Queen Mother

Duchy of Highland Palms

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Lady Crazy,

It is such a pleasure to welcome you into our Kingdom, I truest my mother has made you feel at home all ready.  She is such a wonderfully, kind hearted person that all of us in the Kingdom should thank more often. 

From the little you have told us so far it sounds like you have had many grand adventures and I'm looking forward to hearing them.  It warms my heart that you have chosen to say in Wordsmtihonia and contribute to our community.  While you are within our Kingdom I encourage you to explore to your hearts content.  The Encyclopedia is around somewhere for you to puruse at your lesiure and there are a number of Nobles who would glady show you around.  I will say be careful of some of the embassies right now as a few are changing staff right now.  I know the Women In White and the Trolls especially are having some issues.  The Trolleys have not been acting up lately but be on guard for their pranks.

I would also encourage you to explore the Royal Gardens around the palace, especially the wonderful Maze that was built last year.  If you get lost within it's boundaries some of the residents will be glad to help you out.  I know that Woody Woodpecker and Chilly Willy both have secrets wasy to get out.

As far as the title my mother mentioned in her letter to you, I shall bestow the holdings of Tamul on you and name you it's guardian.  As you gain the exalted title of Wordsmtih, the holding will be given to you as a Barony and you will be named Baroness of Tamul. 

I would highly encourage you to contact a portrait painter and have one done.  It can then be hung in the Introduce yourself thread as part of the gallery of notable citizens of Wordsmithonia.  If you don't have the time I will gladly send our Royal Portrait Painter, Edward Gorey, to you so it can be done and once he's finished with it, it will be hung for you. 

I have sent words to the Smurfs and they are sending Handy Smurf to be your guide to the holding, I will attach a picture of your new abode so you will be able to recognize it once you arrive.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions what so ever.

By My Own Hand,

King Ryan the Bibliophile of Wordsmithonia

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

King Ryan and Dowager Queen Kathy,

I am very honored and grateful for the warm welcome. I am very pleased by the sights and the people I've met already and I must thank you for allowing me to retire to such fine accomadations and entrusting me as the guardian of Tamul. I assure you I will explore your lands and learn the noble ways of citizens of Wordsmithsonia.

There is so much to see here and as I am unfamiliar still around these parts I know not of a portrait painter and would quite pleased with your painter if he is available for loan.

Queen Kathy had asked me if there were another name by which I might be refered to and you may call me Kayla. I am very excited to learn all about Wordsmithsonia and it's citizens and I hope to become well aquainted here.

I understand that running a world such as this is time consuming so I won't hold you up any longer.

Very sincerely,

Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Scribe
JdiennoPSU

Where am I?  Who am I?  I am so confused... what happened to me?

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

Where am I?  Who am I?  I am so confused... what happened to me?

(laughing) I knew the magic cupcakes would work. Welcome!:smileyvery-happy:

This is the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia. Take a good look around, enjoy yourself. 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Lady TiggerBear,

Have you been off the grounds, feeding wanderers your magic cupcakes again?   Good job, I dare say!  I must welcome them, too, before the magic makes them too disoriented! 

And I must catch up with the duties of our realm.  I have been so busy with the Godzilla threat, and springtime activities, lately, I am behind in all my work!  I am going to have to appoint either you, or someone else, to assist me, since my son, the King,  seems to be on a sabbatical, for how long I do not know, and he has let his duties go by the wayside.  Let me know how you feel about being my aid in social activities, calendar updates, or anything you see fit to do?

Yours,

QM Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

My Queen I'll be happy to assist in anyway I can. Gladly.:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Welcome, traveler JdiennoPSU, to the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia.  It is a little like being in Alice in Wonderland....but do not be fearful of us, we will not hurt you.

I see that Lady TiggerBear has been offering her 'magic cupcakes' to unsuspecting travelers, which can be a very good thing, indeed.  But, I do hope that you have not become too disoriented in your journey.  We are a very large Kingdom, and there are many things here to be watchful of, but on the immediate premises, you must not be afraid.  We are an exceptionally friendly realm.

If you wish to stay, for as long as you like, or get acquainted with us, please tell us a little about yourself.  I have seen you before, in passing, but I am not knowledgeable of who you are.

I am the Queen Mother of Wordsmithonia, and will help you get acquainted in any way that I can.  And also, as Lady TiggerBear mentioned, simply look around, see what we are about. But the main thing is, tell us a little about who you are, and just to have fun.

Yours very truly,

QM Kathy

Duchy of Highland Palms

KathyS
0 Kudos

My dear Lady TiggerBear, I am so HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY, to have you at my side these days! 

I have been involved in a singing group, in which the Singing Nun had asked me to sing with them.  With rehearsals all week, and the performance last night, and having company drop by yesterday, who wanted to swim in our pool; and Godzilla popping in and out....and Virginia Woolf showing up, again, on our castle door steps, it has been a very full week, not to mention an emotional and exhausting one!  (if you know what I mean!)  With our two hours of singing gospel songs last night, Virginia could barely tolerate her stay, and refraining from writing on it, to boot!....This performance was not for the faint of heart! 

Now, if I may ask you to see (and post in the Wordsmith Words, at the top) what St. George's Day (N.L. Can.) is all about, which was Friday,  and if you have time,  find out about the birthday of Robert B. Thomas, which was yesterday,  two events I missed,  I would be humbly most grateful to you! 

(I received a notice in the mail...from our board of directors, that I need to tend to my weeds, which have taken over my yard, before I get yelled at and fined! - Thanks!!)

QMKathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Lady TiggerBear,

I have managed to accomplish those two tasks that I had asked of you.  I thank you for your offer of assistance, none the less.

QM Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Lady TiggerBear,

I have managed to accomplish those two tasks that I had asked of you.  I thank you for your offer of assistance, none the less.

QM Kathy

Well the offer still stands. Let me know.

Also in discussion with our dragons, they want to drink the lemon moat in exchange and since I was going to let them have it later anyway.. :smileywink:. But between us we should have a solution to the Godzilla issue soon.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Godzilla, Water Park...Arbor Day and May Day Party, and Gofers

Lady TiggerBear,

I think it would be good that you have the dragons drain the lemon tea moat.  Then we must either fill it in, since we already have a water moat around the immediate castle, itself, or we can turn it into a large water park, and lake, and stock it with fish for everyone to use.  I know both the children and adults love to fish, and play in the water during the summer months.  We can have water slides, and waves to surf on.   Something to think about.

I must see what Duchess Kayla is up to.  Have you had word?  Also, have you received any news from the forest creatures, or other realm nobles, concerning the whereabouts of Godzilla?   I have seen a few Gummy Bears walking near the edge of the forest.  I wonder if he has left us entirely, or if he is in hiding.  At least, for the moment, he isn't terrorizing the countryside.  The trolleys and the gnomes are starting to get restless, wanting to head back to their homes.  I do not know if it is safe, yet?

Now I must see to the dinner menu.  I am famished!

Which reminds me.....Do we have any plans for a party for Arbor Day, or May Day?  If we do, we must start the building of the May polls and arbors.  The bottling of the May wine is in progress.  Let me know?  I would like you to send out the invitations to all of the realms.  If you agree on the Water Park, we need to start that immediately, to have it ready by the end of the week.

Now, if I can just rid the lawn of this blasted gofer we have!!!...any advise?  The Smurfs are in a quandary!  Or maybe it is a squirrel, I do not know for sure.  But one thing I do know  is, he is tearing up everything!  Dirt piles are springing up everywhere!  Grrrr!

Yours,

QM Kathy

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Re: Godzilla, Water Park...Arbor Day and May Day Party, and Gofers

Whoa, i don't know how to speak the way you all do so I will just say in simple language that I would like to join this...this..um...board? I think this board is really really great and unique! :smileyvery-happy:

I'll introduce myself.

Hi, my name is Arvie but nobody calls me that here so you can just call me Moon. :smileyhappy: I'm 14. I love to read. I write poems and sometimes write stories. I love love love music. I'm a girl but NOT a girly-girl. 

I mostly visit Teen Reads and Writing Room but I guess from now on this board too. :smileyhappy:

Ciao!

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Welcome new member, Moon!

Hi Moon! 

We've never had such a young member to our realm before.  Welcome!  It's nice that you want to take part in our crazy world!  Although, you must learn to speak in the language, while taking part in our stories.  You'll get the hang of it, after you've read some of the stuff around the board.  Look back in in our history of Wordsmithonia, and see what went on.   Read the stories.   It's kind of a mix between old English, and Victorian.  We aren't strict on the word usages, just keep it formal if you can...address your posts as you would  in a letter.  We talk to each other in the form of letters.

The Glossary that Ryan created will give you an idea of just how crazy some of our Kingdom characters are. Introduce your own characters, if you want to.  We, as nobles and members of the realm,  can be serious, or silly, depending on our moods, as we all have moods.  We can get deep, dark, or light and funny.  Right now, I'm just keeping current events alive.  If you have anything, at any time, to add, or say something to these things that I post, you are more than welcome to put your words to them.  Just try to keep in the proper threads.

You can jump into a story, or create one of your own, where as anyone is welcome to join in.   New stories should be kept in the thread called, Interactive Stories, but as I posted in our realm's "newspaper" (Wordsmith Words)  about the Godzilla problem, Kayla started a story within it, which is fine....   But,  I try to keep the board clean, and not have repeating threads of the same things.  It's not always possible, so don't worry about it.  It's your board to play in.

Next month starts tomorrow, May, and I will have a new calendar written up then.  As each date comes close, I'll post something in reference to it.  Or you, or anyone, can do the same thing....I'm just doing it, because I like to.  I won't stop anyone, if that's what they like to do.  Google/Research a subject, copy and paste, or add your own points of view.

The Solarium is our Community Room, and you speak in your 'normal' voice, there.  You can change the subject  message header to reflect what you are talking about in your posts.  You can talk freely, to anyone...

When Ryan comes back, he will give you a title and holding (where you live).  I would like to call you Moonbeam, as you give another new light to our realm!  But, your name is your choice. 

I'm glad to hear that you like to write.  As far as writing poems, or just thoughts that you would like to express freely, you can post them in the "Gardening:  In your own words"  thread.....That's a thread that was brought over from the now defunked Garden board....it gives a perspective of the love of nature, or how you relate to anything and everything in your life, at any given time.  You don't have to have it relate to gardening, that's just the title it once had on the garden board.   It's all about musings...  Title your subject line, and feel free to express yourself in your own words, there.  I do it from time to time, as my moods hit me.  For me, it's a venting place, or a place to observe what goes on in my head.

I look forward to hearing your voice!  Welcome to Wordsmithonia, Moon.

Kathy

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome new member, Moon!

This is very hard for me considering English is not even my main language but I will try my very best.

Here it goes. My first letter to you all.

Dear Kathy,

Thank you for your warm welcome and for explaining to me about the kingdom of wordsmithonia. It makes me feel as if I've been here for a very long time. I wish I've found this board earlier.

Yes, you may call me, Moonbeam. I like that name. And I will try to add to the stories you (together with the others) have written. I have been reading some of them and I think they're great. 

This letter is very short. I have run out of words already. I will try to write a longer letter next time.

Again, thank you, Kathy!

-Moon (or Moonbeam)

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Re: Welcome new member, Moon!

Moon,

Welcome to Wordsmithonia! I am Duchess Kayla of Tamul and I have just acquired Godzilla as a new companion. He's getting along nicely though he has his temper at times that I'm addressing and hopefully soon you'll come over for tea and meet him. He is quite sweet and expressive once you get to know him! I know it's overwhelming stepping into this realm as I have only been living here a few short weeks but everyone is very nice and helpful and if you have any questions at all feel free to ask anyone for help.

Language maybe hard for you but do the best you can and don't worry about the length of your letters as any correspondence is most welcome. I spend much of my time exploring the forests and gardens here dicovering and conversing with the different creatures and if you would like to join me in my explorations I'm sure there would be many stories to share with the others! Again, Welcome Moon!

Duchess Kayla