Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

What's on your book-shelf Mind for 2011?

What are you reading this year:  Have read, are reading, going to read?  Say something about it, here!

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Re: What's on your book-shelf Mind for 2011?

I am reading the lord of the rings right now.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  It's a new one for me and so far, though I'm only on the second story, I'm really enjoying it.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

HungerGamesPerson wrote:

I am reading the lord of the rings right now.

First time?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Right now I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  It's a new one for me and so far, though I'm only on the second story, I'm really enjoying it.

Finshed Christie? and on to Doyle?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Yep, first time

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

No, just taking a break from Christie.  My next Christie book, since I'm reading them in order, will be Mr. Parker Pyne Detective.  I think I've read it before, but can't say for sure.

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Finshed Christie? and on to Doyle?

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

If I'm on Urban Fantasy burn out right now, would this be a good series to start back with once I'm ready?

TiggerBear wrote:

Cracked into

River Marked (Mercy Thompson Series #6)  today

KathyS
0 Kudos

Daphne duMaurier's Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn  

I'm eating it up, right now..Delicious!  This book, first published in 1935, tells us what a great storyteller DuMaurier was, to last a lifetime of publications. 

Check out this link to this interesting woman. 

We are soon to discuss this book on the Lit by Women board, so Ryan, or anyone, start reading!  If you like atmospheric prose,  emotionally descriptive narrative, sinister characters, dark and moody domain, and a wonderfully strong, yet vulnerable, woman protagonist, this one has it all.  Set in Cornwall, England.  I remember reading her, cutting my teeth on her passages, many years ago.  I went back in time with this one!
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Re: Daphne duMaurier's Jamaica Inn

Sounds tasty!!

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

If I'm on Urban Fantasy burn out right now, would this be a good series to start back with once I'm ready?

TiggerBear wrote:

Cracked into

One of the best paranormal protagonists out there.

Brigg's tends to make even something you've read 1000 times type bits fresh feeling. No matter which fantasy genre she's writing.

Definitely worth picking up.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

HungerGamesPerson wrote:

Yep, first time

Wow, now that's special.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

HungerGamesPerson wrote:

Yep, first time

Wow, now that's special.

Yep!

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Well, The Lord of the Rings and Sherlock Holmes will certainly be treats for first-time readers!  HungerGamesPerson, had you read The Hobbit first?  And Ryan, when you get back to Mr. Parker Pyne, be on the look-out for the first (brief) appearance of Ariadne Oliver!  You'll be encountering her again on your Christie journey!

Kathy, I have to get started on Jamaica Inn (a reread for me, although it's been some years).  I've been using my normal reading time to make my way through the entire Lost series, but I finally finished, and just have a few bonus features left, although I also want to go back and watch a number of episodes that have added commentary.  Also, I've been reading Poe's short stories for the Classics board.

I will read whatever comes up, but I want to read more of Carrie Bebris' mystery series based on Jane Austen's books.  I have read the first and just ordered the second.

Pride and Prescience 

Suspense and Sensibility  

I'm also waiting for the next installments in Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter mysteries and Laura Joh Rowland's Charlotte Bronte mysteries to come out in paperback.

The Tale of Oat Cake Crag 

Bedlam  

Other than that, I have a huge backlog of mysteries from Becke's 'Got Books?' program, and elsewhere, to get through.

And, of course, Cranford for the Lit by Women board for April!  Also just ordered, and eagerly anticipated!

Cranford 1851 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Of course I read the hobbit first! I enjoyed it a lot!

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Daphne duMaurier's Jamaica Inn

I need to get to the store and pick this one up.  I may have to wait until later in the month but I'm definetly in on it as soon as possible.

KathyS wrote:

Jamaica Inn  

I'm eating it up, right now..Delicious!  This book, first published in 1935, tells us what a great storyteller DuMaurier was, to last a lifetime of publications. 

Check out this link to this interesting woman. 

We are soon to discuss this book on the Lit by Women board, so Ryan, or anyone, start reading!  If you like atmospheric prose,  emotionally descriptive narrative, sinister characters, dark and moody domain, and a wonderfully strong, yet vulnerable, woman protagonist, this one has it all.  Set in Cornwall, England.  I remember reading her, cutting my teeth on her passages, many years ago.  I went back in time with this one!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I just put it one my wish list.

TiggerBear wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Cracked into

One of the best paranormal protagonists out there.

Brigg's tends to make even something you've read 1000 times type bits fresh feeling. No matter which fantasy genre she's writing.

Definitely worth picking up.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I love Ariadne Oliver....the last time I went through Agatha Christie's books (not all of them and not in order) I read a few Poirot books that she was in.  I don't remember a ton about her but I'm looking forward to it.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Well, The Lord of the Rings and Sherlock Holmes will certainly be treats for first-time readers!  HungerGamesPerson, had you read The Hobbit first?  And Ryan, when you get back to Mr. Parker Pyne, be on the look-out for the first (brief) appearance of Ariadne Oliver!  You'll be encountering her again on your Christie journey!

Kathy, I have to get started on Jamaica Inn (a reread for me, although it's been some years).  I've been using my normal reading time to make my way through the entire Lost series, but I finally finished, and just have a few bonus features left, although I also want to go back and watch a number of episodes that have added commentary.  Also, I've been reading Poe's short stories for the Classics board.

I will read whatever comes up, but I want to read more of Carrie Bebris' mystery series based on Jane Austen's books.  I have read the first and just ordered the second.

Pride and Prescience 

Suspense and Sensibility  

I'm also waiting for the next installments in Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter mysteries and Laura Joh Rowland's Charlotte Bronte mysteries to come out in paperback.

The Tale of Oat Cake Crag 

Bedlam  

Other than that, I have a huge backlog of mysteries from Becke's 'Got Books?' program, and elsewhere, to get through.

And, of course, Cranford for the Lit by Women board for April!  Also just ordered, and eagerly anticipated!

Cranford 1851 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Dulcie,

Sounds like you've got enough back-log to keep you busy reading into the next millennium!  My list isn't any shorter!  Ha! 

I've been enjoying reading Jamaica Inn, mainly because it's so different from what I've been reading of late, and to say easy is an understatement. 

I've been considering the next months LbW read,

Cranford   I don't know anything about this author, or her writing.  There seems to be many different publications of this book, with forwards, etc.  I'm going with the bare-boned $2.45 paperback version.  Can't beat the price!