Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

A cursed project

I think this project is cursed….

Decided to make some armwarmers for my daughter for the holiday. Decided on a skull pattern, since she loves this fad (sigh). Bought some gorgeous lace weight mohair blend in black and white.

First, the cat discovered the black skein while we were out….100 grams of tangled lace weight. I managed to wind it into 2 balls (breaking it only once in the process), and had to toss a little bit where the fuzz had been totally pulled off. That took a little over 4 hours, after which my nerves were as tangled as the yarn had been.

Finally got down to the business of knitting. Made my gauges. Plotted the pattern.

Started the first armwarmer. After about 10 rounds, measured it and found that my gauge had been way off, it was too big on me, it would fall off the kid. Frogged, recalculated.

Started again. Halfway through the first skull, I saw that it was positioned wrong, and the pattern would be destroyed by the thumb-hole. Frogged, recharted.

Started again. A few rounds in, discovered I was missing a stitch. Only had to tink 1-1/2 rows to find the dropped stitch. Whew.

All this is being done is fits and bits when my daughter won’t see. And the Carpal Tunnel is really flaring. It was supposed to be a simple one-day project, for crying out loud.

OK, done ranting.

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Sending good knitting vibes your way

Oh dear!  It does seem to be plotting against you. :smileysad:  Sending good knitting vibes your way - hope tomorrow is better.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: A cursed project

It does sound like a project that doesn't want to be done, or at least it sounds like it wants you to remember it forever.  Good luck!
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Re: A cursed project

Oops...forgot to post to say that the armwarmers finally got done, in time for the very last candle of Chanuka, and dd loved them!   Whew - made it all worth it in the end. 

Thanks for the good knitting wishes!

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 612 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: