Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Are you a Raveler?

The hottest new site for cyberspace knitters is Ravelry!  Not only can you network with other knitters, join groups dedicated to just about anything, find a knit-a-long, or get Ravelry swag, the notebook allows you to organize your projects, pictures, stash, patterns, book, tools, etc.  You can also link your blog to your project list.

Ravelry is still in Beta mode.  All requests to join are processed individually so it can take several days before you can join all the fun.

Are you on Ravelry?  I am - balletbookworm at your service!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Are you a Raveler?

Yup, I'm there. I'll add you to my friends list. I'm katknit pver there, too.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link!  I just signed up for an invitation...
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

I've just introduced myself in the knitting group thread and yes, I'm also a member of Ravelry.  I loved it there.  Lots of good discussion as well as patterns, organizing tools, etc.  I'm also antwerpnative there.

Happy knitting,

Betty

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

I'm in !   I've been very busy what with checking out the groups, joining a few, uploading a couple of projects.  I've added y'all to my list of friends.
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
New User
abitofswish
0 Kudos

I love Ravelry. My profile name is the same there ... abitofswish :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi, I am the same here as I am at Ravelry. 
New User
abitofswish
0 Kudos

correction ... I just opened an etsy store and so changed my profile name to thespeckledpear to match.
Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

I just asked for an invitation. Thanks for the heads up on this site.
Reader
AngeeGee
0 Kudos

by know you have joined Ravelry and welcome.  I love the site and love B&N.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Does anyone find it kind of funny that when you add new yarn to your Ravelry stash the site tells you you're stashing your "nth" yarn?  I wonder how much you can stash before the numbers run out (knowing us knitters, they were probably smart and didn't put an upper limit on it :smileyvery-happy: )?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

I heard LOT about Ravelry and lurked around before I finally joined last summer.  Lots of great information, and if you have a problem, question, etc. you can probably get an answer, or at least, an opinion (the trick is figuring out which).  I spent lots of time reading and poking about before I joined any groups.  You can participate in a group even if you don't join it, but joining makes it easier to get to it quickly.  Some groups are fairly active, others are real sleepers and many fall in between.

I haven't used the stash inventory tools.  I'm trying hard to de-stash!  I have not tried taking pictures of projects and uploading as I don't think anyone would be much interested in my very pedestrian projects.  However, I am now working on the colorful baby block blanket from Knit One Below by Elise Duvcot using KnitPicks Shine.  It is a gift for an expected baby boy and the parents don't want pastels or macho primaries, so I chose five colors of the purple-to-yellow rainbow.  I am very happy with the way it is turning out (except for the fact that fixing any errors in K1b is beyond challenging...every time I think I have it figured out, the next fix just doesn't look right...sigh).  Anyway, once I get another row of blocks done, I will figure out how to upload a photo of the InProgress just to share the fun (I belong to both the K1b and KnitPicksLovers groups).

My Ravelry name is PuffyGriffinclaw, same as B&N bookclub signature.

I have not checked this Knitting book club in a while and it looks like there's been a little more activity lately, so I'll have to catch up!

Puffy Griffinclaw

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

Hi puffy,

I just typed a reply but forgot to send it (LOL). So I'm trying it again. 

Your baby blanket sounds delightful.  I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, but am working on it.

I am also on ravelry and use the organization tool to keep track of my projects etc.

I am a member of the Knitters in Belgium group, since I was born and raised in Belgium but have lived for the last 47 years in the US.  It's great fun to be able to keep up with my native languages.

Have you joined any groups yet?  Hope to see you on Ravelry.  In the meantime happy knitting and reading,

antwerpnative (here and ravelry).

Reader
AngeeGee
0 Kudos

I never noticed that they track how much you have in stash.  I just look at the boxes of yarn in my front room to see that :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Whew - haven't been around for quite a while, I guess I spend too much time on Ravelry!  :smileyvery-happy: 

I love keeping track of my projects and stash there, I've joined more than 40 groups, but as has been said, many of them are not too active, so it's easy to follow. 

I've been participating in lots of swaps, what a great way to get lots of yarn goodies that aren't available where I live - and to meet new people as well.  I've swapped with folks in the States and Canada, Germany, the UK, Slovenia, France, Belgium and Switzerland, and have received some real treats ( and added to my stash :smileywink: ).  

I have to catch up around here!

Chana

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

You know you've been on Ravelry too long......

...when you come here, read posts and look for the agree button.

:smileysurprised:

Chana

Melissa_W

Re: You know you've been on Ravelry too long......

We have a new upgrade here that's similar - Laurels!  If you think a post is great or you agree you can click the green Laurel button on the upper right of the post :smileyvery-happy: (it's kind of fun).

chana56 wrote:

...when you come here, read posts and look for the agree button.

:smileysurprised:

Melissa W.
New User
Nemosyne
0 Kudos

I'm on Ravelry as well. The name is the same.  It's been a great resource for organizing all my knitting supplies. Through the boards there, I met the greatest bunch of gals too! :smileyhappy:
Reader
teabird
0 Kudos

yes - I'm teabird on Ravelry.

New User
marcielynn
0 Kudos

Yes, I am a Raveler!!!  I have tons of fun viewing and coping all the free knitting patterns.  I can not believe all the people who are members from all over the entire world.

I also love to read and just finished the book, "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood.  This is a must have to read book.  Knitting is truely a healing art.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 434 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: