Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Book Review: Knits from the North Sea

This lacy book of shawls, scarves and stoles will make any knitter's dream come true.  When I got my copy, I was transfixed with the illustrations of lace knitting.  Moving into the instructions, I found them to be very clear and for an intermediate knitter who is trying to work toward new things, it is doable.  This is a book I am going to keep in my knitting library for years to come.  Great job to Carol Rasmusser Noble and Margaret Leask Peterson for creating an inspiring work of lace knitting.

Knits from the North Sea 

Dana W.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Book Review: Knits from the North Sea

Hi Dana,

There are quite a few lovely pictures and patterns in Knits from the North Sea but the book feels truncated to me.  The authors didn't explain why these particular patterns belong in the Shetland tradition and even include a pattern from the Orenburg lace tradition (the Mardi Gras shawl).

If you are interested in lace knitting I would suggest reading:

Victorian Lace Today 

Knitted Lace of Estonia  

Folk Shawls  

Each book has a great deal of knitting history and knowledge as well as patterns of varying difficulty (the patterns in Knitted Lace of Estonia are beautiful *drools*).

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Re: Book Review: Knits from the North Sea

Thanks Melissa.  I will look into the titles you have suggested.  I recently put the Estonia book on one of my displays at the store and admired the cover as I was moving the books around.  Will have to check it out tomorrow when I go in to work.

What book do you recommend for someone who is trying to learn to crochet? I am trying to learn and have so far been working with Crocheting in Plain English.  Slow progress but I am getting there.

Dana W.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Help for learning crochet?

Crocheting in Plain English  

That's probably a good place to start.  I only crochet under duress (I'm very much a fan of knitted fabric rather than crocheted fabric) so I wouldn't be a very good judge, although I will say that Maggie's

Knitting in Plain English 

is a very good book for knitters looking for information.

Do any BNBC users have a suggestion for a crochet book for Dana?

Dana_W wrote:.

What book do you recommend for someone who is trying to learn to crochet? I am trying to learn and have so far been working with Crocheting in Plain English.  Slow progress but I am getting there.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 581 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: