Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

Hello from AZ

Hello fellow knitters,

My name is Betty and I live in Sun City West, AZ.  I'm married and have 2 adult sons.

I was born and raised in Antwerp, Belgium and learned to knit when I was quite small from my governess.  We also learned to knit, crochet and embroider in elementary school.

In 1961 I moved to the U.S. when I married my NY guy.  We'll be married 47 years in November.  In 1978 we moved to Phoenix and now live in Sun City West.

I stopped knitting many years ago after I went back to work full time.  Since I retired about 8 years ago, I started knitting again and have just finished 5 scarves for the Special Olympics. 

I've also just started to learn how to knit socks with 2 circular needles at our local yarn shop.  The technique is great.  We knit one sock on 2 circular needles.  So far, I've learned how to knit the top and leg and next week I will learn how to turn the heel and finish the sock.  I've never used dp needles so that's probably the next thing I will have to learn.

I love the feel of yarns and all those luscious colors as well as the different embroidery flosses, silks, metallics, etc.

I live in a Del Webb active adult community and we have lots of clubs.  Among others are a knitting/crochet club, a creative stitching, etc.

In addition to knitting, I crochet, needlepoint (just finishing a bargello cornice for my bedroom window), crossstitch.  I also love to read, cook, travel, and volunteer at our local library.  I'm also a born organizer and cleaning freak but have learned to balance my life well and enjoy being retired.  My husband has his own activities and some activie we do together.  So retired life is great. 

I also belong to Ravelry.com, crochetville.com and several other knitting groups where I still learn to navigate because I'm not all that computer lit.

I use to also participate in the University courses here at B&N and miss them.

I'm looking forward to making friends here and meeting all of you.

Happy knitting,

Betty

New User
Bhrett
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from AZ

Hello!   I, too, am on ravelry.  My user name there is also Bhrett.  I've been knitting for around five years, but I knit for hours everyday.  I am 18 and a Math Major from Southern Illinois.  I have a 29 year old brother and a 17 year old sister, but my sister is in Austria. 

So good to hear about you!

Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from AZ

Welcome Bhrett to this wonderful forum.  I know that you'll like it here.  There are lots of wonderful members and they are very generous with their time and help.

Don't you just love Ravelry.  I'll look for you there and put you on my friends list.

Happy Knitting,

Betty

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 333 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: