Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

Help me Knit!

I love to crochet and have always wanted to learn how to knit. I can't understand the books at all! Is there any easy way to learn?
"But I don't want to go among mad people."
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
New User
leelee_22
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Knit!

My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was young. I got bored with it. Knitting has helped me improve crocheting actually. I learned in a strange way. A child's learn to knit book. It was clear, concise and had pictures. I did a few of those projects learning the different techniques.

Lee Lee 22
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

My grandmother taught me to crochet at a young age too! She also knows how to knit, but I hardly ever see her for her to teach me. I will definitely have to check out the kids knitting book. Can you get those at any craft store?
"Oh, you can't help that. Most everyone's mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself."
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble carries some kids knitting books (I know there's a kit by Klutz). Do you think you're having trouble following the diagrams in a book? There's a website, I think it's called www.knittingvideos.com but I might be wrong (Google "knitting videos" and you should find it), that's really good so it might help to show the knitting stitches in a more fluid, 3D format rather than a series of sketches in a book.

peculiarbelle wrote:
My grandmother taught me to crochet at a young age too! She also knows how to knit, but I hardly ever see her for her to teach me. I will definitely have to check out the kids knitting book. Can you get those at any craft store?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
peculiarbelle
0 Kudos

Ya, my problem is it is so hard to follow the explanations and patterns of how to do them from a book. I really do think those videos might help. Thanks so much!
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

Belle, you might also check to see if your local library has copies of an old PBS knitting show done by Elizabeth Zimmermann back in the 70s. After I watched her tapes (and laughed so much, she is very funny in that dry, Brit way), I got several of her books as well. But she demonstrates all the basic stitches and also how to cast on, knit in the round, knit in two colors (easier than it sounds), etc.

I'm not sure if B&N sells her books or DVDs as her family (she is now passed on) has their own publishing company.

I agree with an earlier poster than looking for online video demos is very helpful..I have done that several times when I read some instruction 16 times and still think, "HUH??????". Example: I had heard about using one very long circular needle for small objects (like socks or baby booties) instead of stretching them on to 12 in. circs. I got the "Magic Loop" booklet at the yarn store, looked at the pictures for an hour, and decided that I must be missing too many brain cells to interpret the diagrams. Googled a video of the method, and instantly understood what to do. I now love the method and use it often. There is just something about the illustrations in knitting books that make them look like they were drawn by Martians who have never seen human hands in action.

Good luck!

Cindy
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
New User
AleaML
0 Kudos

I felt the same way - I always wanted to learn but when I looked at  a pattern, I was like WHAT? Knittinghelp.com is awesome for showing the basics through advanced techniques.
Contributor
Yaya0616
0 Kudos

KnittingHelp.com has been the site I have been using, and then I also read knitting of dummies. Using the two together really helps me.
* Blue eyed baby *
Contributor
Minne2
0 Kudos

Ditto for knittinghelps.com and Knitting for Dummies.  That book is one of the best all purpose reference books out there.  The photos and big print make learning new techniques much easier.  I like the book because I find it comforting to have something in my hand to refer back to. 
Contributor
TinkPink80
0 Kudos

Another good idea is, check out a local yarn shop you may have near you.  A lot of times they offer free knitting lessons (with the purchase of knitting kneedles and some yarn, it will cost you about 15 bucks....and knitting kneedles are never a wasted investment). 

One of my friends was hounding me to teach her, and I found it easier that you NOT teach someone you love :smileyhappy:  So we happened to fall upon a yarn shop while we were out on a day trip, and they offered free lessons, so I shoved her in the door and for 30 minutes she learned to knit, while I yarn shopped!

I find that the video's are easier to understand once you have the basic technique of knitting down, otherwise most of it will just sound like jibber jabber... I truly believe there is nothing like hands on visual help! 

Even if they charge you $10 bucks for the lesson, splurg! It's worth it!

"I'm gonna live forever, or die trying."
- Joseph Heller (Catch 22)
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

I just reread this thread and want to mention one thing I've learned since an earlier post.  I had read, and now have actual proof, that crocheters find it much easier to learn to knit if they learn in Continental style.  You may already know, but just in case, Continental style knitters hold the working yarn over the finger(s) of their left hand, and use the right needle to reach through a stitch (very similarly to crochet) and pull the yarn through (or reverse for purls).  A friend who is a crocheter who also "knits some" asked me to help her one day with something she'd forgotten how to do.  When I picked up the piece and started to demonstrate (and I do knit in Continental style), she was like,"Stop!  What is that you are doing, how are you knitting like that?!?!?"  When I explained, she was so thrilled.  She said that it was the first time that knitting actually made sense to her, given that she was a crocheter first and by preference.  Should could not wait to take up the needles to try this method for herself.

Sorry for the long story, but in case our original writer is still looking for help in making knitting make sense, I want to encourage you to look for videos that will demonstrate Continental.  You may find, as my friend did that it is easier for crocheters to learn that way.

Puffy Griffinclaw

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Frequent Contributor
lizzyizzy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can try to knit scarves, they're easy and fast projects you can do to start you off when you are learning. Am an intermediate knitter and love Debbie Bliss sweaters. Here is a link to Susan B Anderson scarf on youtube. When I was starting off I also had trouble with knitting patterns but youtube helped me when I came across a knitting term I did understand how to do. Just search for it on there and it shows you how.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 429 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: