Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
gwenn
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Hello again everyone! I have used circular knitting needles, too. I was making a sweater with one, and then the pattern became unintelligible. The directions took a wild leap into nowhere and I could never finish the project. Just not experienced enough to figure it out myself. Is there some kind of satisfaction we could get by writing the pattern company and telling them their pattern is faulty? And get the money back for the yarn and needles we bought to make it and to be reimbursed for the pattern we paid for? There is nothing more depressing than to be unable to finish a project because of a glich in the pattern instructions. I hate that. These companies should be more careful. I wonder if the store that sells the patterns could be held responsible for a reimbursement. What is the protocol on this?

Other than that, I love circular needles. With bamboo straight needles, I am almost finished with my argile sock yarn scarf and it is turning out great. My next project is a scarf with a novelty yarn - very beautiful soft cotton - peach, orange, cream, pink and magenta. For my beautiful 12 year-old red haired niece.

I am going to look into getting some of these DVD's of Elizabeth Zimmerman you spoke of - they sound great just what I could use. I guess I might find them on the Internet?

Well, happy knitting and crocheting everyone!!:smileyhappy: Gwenn
Praise ignorance, for what man has not encountered he has not destroyed. -Wendell Berry
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

I know what you mean Gwenn about the frustration of a pattern making no sense. I've taken a lot of classes at my local yarn shop and I buy most of my yarn there. So, I feel comfortable bringing a pattern in and asking questions. Usually there is someone who can figure it out or come up with a work-around if the pattern is in error.

I love your colors for the scarf you're making. Reminds me of summer and sherbet!!
Carol Seelman
New User
clues4life
0 Kudos

Hi everyone...
My name is Nancy and I just picked up the book from the library. I cannot wait to start reading it.
This is my first experience with a book club. I have always enjoyed reading as well as crafting. Knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting just to name a few :smileyhappy:.
Well, off I go to start on my "new" adventure.....
Happy Knitting!!
New User
Irishlassie
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Claudia. I just finished a crochet class and enjoy crocheting a baby afghan for my "some day" grandchild! Okay, my daughter is just getting married this June, but you never know what can happen these days, and I'm enjoying crocheting while dreaming of that first grandchild who will someday be wrapped in it!!

I've started reading The Friday Night Knitting Club and love it. I always love the 'women helping women' theme - we're Steel Magnolias! I'm really looking forward to the discussions in this group!
Contributor
ukduchess
0 Kudos

Hi everybody! My name is Rachel. I am so excited about this. I have always wanted to be in a book club but it just isn't something that appeals to my friends. I actually tried knitting once about two years ago but I never could quite get it. (I think I was too up tight!) One of the older women at my church crochets so she taught me how to do that. I am not very good yet but it is something that I enjoy. Somehow, it seems very calming and I love it when I can make time to work on it. I am still working on my first project which is a scarf for my mom. I know, that is simple for many of you that are more experienced but it is a start!

I have read other books similar to this one and I just love them! I am going to get the book this weekend and I am really looking forward to be a part of this discussion.
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library."

— Jorge Luis Borges
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

clues4life wrote:
Hi everyone...
My name is Nancy and I just picked up the book from the library. I cannot wait to start reading it.
This is my first experience with a book club. I have always enjoyed reading as well as crafting. Knitting, crocheting, sewing, quilting just to name a few :smileyhappy:.
Happy Knitting!!

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the book club. I think you will enjoy this book. Once you get into it, it's hard to put down.
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Irishlassie wrote:
Hi, I'm Claudia. I just finished a crochet class and enjoy crocheting a baby afghan for my "some day" grandchild! Okay, my daughter is just getting married this June, but you never know what can happen these days, and I'm enjoying crocheting while dreaming of that first grandchild who will someday be wrapped in it!!

I've started reading The Friday Night Knitting Club and love it. I always love the 'women helping women' theme - we're Steel Magnolias! I'm really looking forward to the discussions in this group!

Hi Claudia,

You are right--this book is very much on the theme of "Steel Magnolias." Welcome - hope you enjoy your time here.
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

ukduchess wrote:
Hi everybody! My name is Rachel. I am so excited about this. I have always wanted to be in a book club but it just isn't something that appeals to my friends. I actually tried knitting once about two years ago but I never could quite get it. (I think I was too up tight!) One of the older women at my church crochets so she taught me how to do that. I am not very good yet but it is something that I enjoy. Somehow, it seems very calming and I love it when I can make time to work on it. I am still working on my first project which is a scarf for my mom. I know, that is simple for many of you that are more experienced but it is a start!

I have read other books similar to this one and I just love them! I am going to get the book this weekend and I am really looking forward to be a part of this discussion.

Hi Rachel,

You will identify with some of the characters in the book because they never get the hang of knitting either-for one reason or another.

Welcome to the book club!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
reddoglady
0 Kudos

Hi -- I am quite interested in this book club selection -- my girlfriend and I taught each other to knit a few years ago and I have made several scarves since then -- want to make socks, but have not tried as yet -- I am planning to get the book this week, but I will also be out of town with no access to a computer so I will have to really get started next week -- I am looking forward to it -- Joanne in North Carolina
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Welcome Joanne. I will be taking a "sock-making" class at my local yarn shop this month. I hear that they are lots of fun to make -- and that once you wear home-made socks, you never want to go back to store bought!

We'll be here for the entire month - so just jump back in when you get home.
Carol Seelman
Author
katejacobs
0 Kudos

cseelman wrote:

clues4life wrote:
Hi everyone...
Happy Knitting!!

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the book club. I think you will enjoy this book. Once you get into it, it's hard to put down.

Hi to everyone!

First of all -- Carol, THANK YOU for all the lovely things you're saying about my novel! Second, I just wanted to say a quick hello and thank you all for joining in. Of course, you can read my bio and welcome letter in a separate thread but I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am to be part of this book club. It's perfect timing -- I'm just home from many weeks of book tour and ready to settle in (my dog, Baxter, is happy we're back to our regular routine, as is my husband, I suspect) and I'm looking forward to talking about FNKC.

-Kate
Contributor
bookworm331
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, Jayne here from Canton, Ma. I read this book and really loved it. I started knitting about a year and a half ago and can't stop. I take classes at the local yarn shop and everyone there is wonderful. I have made blankets for my Dad, husband, and two daughters and tons of other things. I keep a photo album with all the projects I have knitted. I can't wait to talk to other people about this great book and also about knitting. A couple of weeks ago I met Barbara Delinski at a yarn shop promoting her book The Family Tree. She is a big fan of knitting and her book was great. I am always looking for books incorporating my two greatest passions, reading and knitting. Talk to everyone soon.
Bye Jayne
Contributor
bookworm331
0 Kudos

Rachel, Hi and welcome to this great bookclub. Reading and knitting are two of my passions. When I saw your quote I had to say it is one of my favorites. My daughter saw it on a board at college and sent it to me. She knows me very well. Good luck on your project. I'm sure it will turn out great.
Bye
Jayne
New User
Licketystitch
0 Kudos

BookClubEditor wrote:
Reply to this thread to introduce yourself to the group! Let us know what you love (or hate) about the fiber arts, and share some of your favorite ideas, as well.

Last week a friend gave me a copy of Kate's book for my birthday. I'm a very enthusiastic knitter. My aunt taught me to knit when I was a senior in high school, and I made a scarf and a sweater and then nothing else for 36 years. A couple of Christmases ago, my sister and daughter started knitting, and thinking it looked like fun, I took it up again.

To tell the truth, I was ripping out quilt stitches from a quilt finishing project that had gone south, an odious task which I was knitting to escape. Knitting was something fun to do after my day at work supporting software. After completing the quilt project, and knitting to escape it the whole time, the knitting continued. I've knitted countless scarves, some sweaters, a poncho, lots of hats, baby garments, and felted several purses. I'm afraid my quilt finishing business has suffered as a result -- oh, well.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to organize my yarn stash. I admit I was embarrassed at how much yarn I've collected in a little over two years. I tell myself I won't buy anymore until I've used up the yarn I already have, but the temptation is too great and my willpower too weak. I continue to collect yarn, patterns, and dreams of beautiful knitted projects. I love stopping by area yarn shops.

My other guilty secret is that I knit garments and don't get the finishing work done. If I don't hurry up, the hoodie I knit for my 7 month old grandson will be too little for him before much longer. One of my knitting friends suggested that I only knit top-down patterns, on which seams are never necessary. Great idea I plan to implement as soon as I've finished the hoodie and an unseamed purse I made a month ago.

I believe it was one of the Stitch and Bitch knitting books that categorized the different types of knitters. From that categorization I believe I fit the "process knitter" description; I knit because the pattern looks like a challenge and I'm curious about how it will come about. I'm attracted to color and texture, but I like to figure things out. It's important to me that the things I make or give have a genuinely practical use.

I've never joined an online book club before, but this one sounds like it is right up my alley. How perfect that I even had the book handed to me. My friends know what I'm all about...

Nancy
New User
RobertaP
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm Roberta P, Staunton, Virginia. I started to knit in December (at age 62) to have something to do while I recovered from an operation. (I'm fully recovered and feeling great).

Continental is my method of choice (in the round whenever possible so I don't have to purl). So far I finished a felted hat, 3 felted purses and 2 scarfs. I'm currently completing my first sweater.

My local yarn shop, Off the Lamb, is very friendly and alot of fun. We meet informally on Thursday nights and have a blast. Joe , the shop owner, ordered several copies of FNKC and sold them to us at a discount. We started our own Friday night knit bookclub discussion group about in March.

I finished the book this weekend. The ending caught me by surprise. I won't give anything away here.

I'm courious to read postings from other readers
Frequent Contributor
hasenbein
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I just started this book today as I was waiting for the drapery guy to come and take our drapes to be cleaned (ah yes, the 9:30-11:30 window and he came at 11:25 for a 45 minute job!(.

Well, I love the book and I'm moving right along. I knitted a tiny bit when I was a young person, but like the idea of a drop-in any kind of fellowship group! And here we have one!

I live and work in Orange, California. I work in a large Lutheran Church in the Worship and Music ministries Department.

KathyH
[aka hasenbein - don't ask!]
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I saw this book on a table and it looked so delightful I picked it up.
I do not knit yet, even though with reading this book plus several others on knitting I have inquired about lessons at our local craft store. This is a beautiful story though. I really love this book. Kate, you did a excellent job!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Knitting is so much fun (well, most of the time :smileyhappy: as with anything else). You should give it a try!

kiakar wrote:
Hi everyone, I saw this book on a table and it looked so delightful I picked it up.
I do not knit yet, even though with reading this book plus several others on knitting I have inquired about lessons at our local craft store. This is a beautiful story though. I really love this book. Kate, you did a excellent job!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

bookworm331 wrote:
Hi everyone, Jayne here from Canton, Ma. I read this book and really loved it. I started knitting about a year and a half ago and can't stop. I take classes at the local yarn shop and everyone there is wonderful. I have made blankets for my Dad, husband, and two daughters and tons of other things. I keep a photo album with all the projects I have knitted. I can't wait to talk to other people about this great book and also about knitting. A couple of weeks ago I met Barbara Delinski at a yarn shop promoting her book The Family Tree. She is a big fan of knitting and her book was great. I am always looking for books incorporating my two greatest passions, reading and knitting. Talk to everyone soon.
Bye Jayne

Welcome Jayne! What a great idea about the photo album! I too take classes at my local yarn shop. My next class is on sock making!!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Licketystitch wrote:

BookClubEditor wrote:
Reply to this thread to introduce yourself to the group! Let us know what you love (or hate) about the fiber arts, and share some of your favorite ideas, as well.

Last week a friend gave me a copy of Kate's book for my birthday. I'm a very enthusiastic knitter. My aunt taught me to knit when I was a senior in high school, and I made a scarf and a sweater and then nothing else for 36 years. A couple of Christmases ago, my sister and daughter started knitting, and thinking it looked like fun, I took it up again.

To tell the truth, I was ripping out quilt stitches from a quilt finishing project that had gone south, an odious task which I was knitting to escape. Knitting was something fun to do after my day at work supporting software. After completing the quilt project, and knitting to escape it the whole time, the knitting continued. I've knitted countless scarves, some sweaters, a poncho, lots of hats, baby garments, and felted several purses. I'm afraid my quilt finishing business has suffered as a result -- oh, well.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to organize my yarn stash. I admit I was embarrassed at how much yarn I've collected in a little over two years. I tell myself I won't buy anymore until I've used up the yarn I already have, but the temptation is too great and my willpower too weak. I continue to collect yarn, patterns, and dreams of beautiful knitted projects. I love stopping by area yarn shops.

My other guilty secret is that I knit garments and don't get the finishing work done. If I don't hurry up, the hoodie I knit for my 7 month old grandson will be too little for him before much longer. One of my knitting friends suggested that I only knit top-down patterns, on which seams are never necessary. Great idea I plan to implement as soon as I've finished the hoodie and an unseamed purse I made a month ago.

I believe it was one of the Stitch and Bitch knitting books that categorized the different types of knitters. From that categorization I believe I fit the "process knitter" description; I knit because the pattern looks like a challenge and I'm curious about how it will come about. I'm attracted to color and texture, but I like to figure things out. It's important to me that the things I make or give have a genuinely practical use.

I've never joined an online book club before, but this one sounds like it is right up my alley. How perfect that I even had the book handed to me. My friends know what I'm all about...

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Great to have you here! I too, love the top-down patterns with knitting in the round whenever possible. I just finished one sweater where the only seam I had was at the shoulders and for that I used the three-needle bind-off. Made a great seam!! I love the patterns at Pure and Simple. Great classics!

I'm going to have to look in Stitch and Bitch to see what type of knitter I am.

Again - welcome aboard!!
Carol Seelman
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 159 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: