Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

RobertaP wrote:
Hi

I'm Roberta P, Staunton, Virginia. I started to knit in December (at age 62) to have something to do while I recovered from an operation. (I'm fully recovered and feeling great).

Continental is my method of choice (in the round whenever possible so I don't have to purl). So far I finished a felted hat, 3 felted purses and 2 scarfs. I'm currently completing my first sweater.

My local yarn shop, Off the Lamb, is very friendly and alot of fun. We meet informally on Thursday nights and have a blast. Joe , the shop owner, ordered several copies of FNKC and sold them to us at a discount. We started our own Friday night knit bookclub discussion group about in March.

I finished the book this weekend. The ending caught me by surprise. I won't give anything away here.

I'm courious to read postings from other readers

Welcome Roberta! I love to watch folks knit continental. I knit American and can't seem to get the hang of continental. Old habits die hard!!

Your yarn shop sounds great - and glad you loved the book!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

hasenbein wrote:
Hello everyone!

I just started this book today as I was waiting for the drapery guy to come and take our drapes to be cleaned (ah yes, the 9:30-11:30 window and he came at 11:25 for a 45 minute job!(.

Well, I love the book and I'm moving right along. I knitted a tiny bit when I was a young person, but like the idea of a drop-in any kind of fellowship group! And here we have one!

I live and work in Orange, California. I work in a large Lutheran Church in the Worship and Music ministries Department.

KathyH
[aka hasenbein - don't ask!]

Hi Kathy,

Drapery guys, cable guys, repairmen of any sort - they must consult each other on how they can get all of their jobs to start at the end of the window of when they will come!

I hope you like the book and we're glad to have you here!
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Hi everyone, I saw this book on a table and it looked so delightful I picked it up.
I do not knit yet, even though with reading this book plus several others on knitting I have inquired about lessons at our local craft store. This is a beautiful story though. I really love this book. Kate, you did a excellent job!

Yes, definitely give knitting a try. Start with something simple like a scarf. Just knit every row. What's great about knitting is that once the movements become second nature, you will find it to be very relaxing. A real way to "de-stress" at the end of a busy day. But make sure to start with simple patterns and simple yarns.

It is a lovely story! I didn't want the book to end because I wanted to keep the characters in my life!
Carol Seelman
New User
apf5666
0 Kudos

BookClubEditor wrote:
Reply to this thread to introduce yourself to the group! Let us know what you love (or hate) about the fiber arts, and share some of your favorite ideas, as well.

Hi my name is Jeanne, I do not know how to knit but I do know how to crochet. I am just 40 and I just learned about a year ago. I have tried over the past 10 years to learn, but never got it. Now I have already made 3 blankets one of which is the size of a twin size bed. Anyway I have always wanted to be in a book club, I love to read this is the first time reading this author, I am on chapter 3 and the book is getting really intersting. I think I will like being here and am looking forward to seeing/hearing what everyone thinks of the book. Will be back later Jeanne
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Welcome Jeanne! Three blankets--that's very impressive! I bet they are beautiful. I love to crochet as well. I crochet with the fine bedspread weight cotton and make doilies and table runners.

I know you will love the book. The characters will seem like old friends.
Carol Seelman
New User
mammabaabaa
0 Kudos

I almost deleted the e-mail from B&N and then this caught my eye. I haven't read the book, but am enjoying reading about everyone knitting life. It seems that many people learn to knit as kids or teens and then put it away for a few years and find it again. I would fall into that group. I re-discovered my love of knitting when my children were little and it was too frustrating to try and sew something to be creative( Mom can I cut this???) Knitting was more portable,neater, stoppable mid-stream and you can do it almost anywhere. I also love that knitting never stops challenging you to learn something new and figure out problems. I wish I could just follow someone else's' pattern, that would be so much easier!! For some reason I always want to do it my own way or differently. I have a lot of projects that need to be "fixed", but I don't care, it's the process that I enjoy. The past few years I have been teaching knitting to adults and children and that has been very satisfying. Some people get it and love it immediately, and some people get it and don't want it, and then there are a small few who never get it, if they want it or not. I've come to see that it is a confidence issue, which holds true for kids and adults alike. Many women can be knitting perfectly, and the whole time saying "I'm doing this wrong, this looks terrible." Right now I have 4 projects in the works, I won't bore you with what they are, but I love natural fibers and wooden needles and hope to make a few new knitting friends by reading this chat.
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group! I wish I had a little of your daring. I'm one of those folks who follow the pattern to the letter and don't branch out and try to make little changes. So, I'm a little envious.

We would love to hear about the projects you are working on. It may give us some ideas!!
Carol Seelman
New User
lisadinpa
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm a compulsive knitter.

(I hope this is all I have to do to participate. This is the first discussion I've joined since the format changed from BNU.)

I've been knitting (and crocheting) since I was about 10, over 40 years ago. I used to knit only with the acrylic from Ben Frankin, Woolworths, and eventually Walmart. About 15 years ago, a neighbor opened a small yarn shop just down the street from me and I bought my first "real wool". I stayed with acrylics (still use them, in fact) because my dad was violently allergic to anything with lanolin in it, creams, lotions, and wool!

I have reached SABLE (stash acquisition beyond life expectancy) and am trying to follow the "yarn diet" this year to use some of it up. I have ten large plastic tubs of various types of yarn and innumerable bags that haven't been sorted yet. Sorting is always on my list of things to do!

Well, enough rambling for now. I do have the book and have already read it. I got sidetracked and didn't start posting immediately last week.

Lisa D in PA
Author
katejacobs
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa -- welcome to the chat!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

SABLE - I love it! :smileyhappy: Welcome to the group!

lisadinpa wrote:
I have reached SABLE (stash acquisition beyond life expectancy) and am trying to follow the "yarn diet" this year to use some of it up. I have ten large plastic tubs of various types of yarn and innumerable bags that haven't been sorted yet. Sorting is always on my list of things to do!

Well, enough rambling for now. I do have the book and have already read it. I got sidetracked and didn't start posting immediately last week.

Lisa D in PA

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,

Glad you're here! I am definitely remembering SABLE. I'm not there yet, since I just picked up knitting again about a year ago. But I'm fast approaching.

I think you'll enjoy our group!
Carol Seelman
New User
kloe41
0 Kudos

i'm a newbie to knitting so can't expect much from me. i just like the rythmic method of it and find it very soothing and "stress-less". i'm waiting for "the knitting circle" from my library (i'm kind of frugal, trying not to buy it), but just thought i'd see what's out here for now. hi to all!

kloe
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, kloe! :smileyhappy: We're all more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

kloe41 wrote:
i'm a newbie to knitting so can't expect much from me. i just like the rythmic method of it and find it very soothing and "stress-less". i'm waiting for "the knitting circle" from my library (i'm kind of frugal, trying not to buy it), but just thought i'd see what's out here for now. hi to all!

kloe

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Hi~

My boss taught me how to knit about 7 years ago. It was something for us to do during long lunches. I go long stretches without knitting but then come back to it. I took up jewelry making a couple of years ago and will usually choose beading over knitting since I can get instant gratification. I've learned the hard way that scarves and hats are better for me to knit than sweaters because I can usually knit the back and sleeves but lose interest by the time I get to the front!

When I was younger my mother tried to teach me how to crochet but everything always came out dome shaped...I could never keep the tension uniform. I taught myself how to make granny squares recently but I have problems counting stitches. I can't be distracted by anything or else I completely mess up.

I have to recommend One-Skein Wonders to anyone looking to make quick projects. I made the short sleeved sweater not taking the time to match yarn and gauge or anything because I wanted to see if the pattern was as easy as it appeared. It came out so well. The open-lace look on the shoulders added an touch of femininity. I'm going to knit it again taking care to use the proper weight yarn and needle size.

In my opinion, of all the knitting magazines on the market, Interweave is the best. I love the projects and the articles are interesting.

-Mayumi
Contributor
sarah_beth
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Sarah. I started Knitting back in May and love it! I just wish my two little ones afforded me enough time to finish a project, lol. Anyway, I am also trying to find local knitters in my area of So. Cal to team up with.
Sarah Beth
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sarah :smileyhappy: This is a "come as you are" board and is very loosely structured. Feel free to share any thoughts on patterns, knitting fiction, or ask a question if you get stuck on something.

sarah_beth wrote:
Hello, my name is Sarah. I started Knitting back in May and love it! I just wish my two little ones afforded me enough time to finish a project, lol. Anyway, I am also trying to find local knitters in my area of So. Cal to team up with.

Melissa W.
Contributor
MegD427
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. My mother taught me to knit when I was young. I got away from knitting when I was in middle/high school but started again in college. I haven't stopped since. I have a two-year-old now so my free time is limited, but I catch some time to do some quick projects. I'm glad to join you all.
Meghan
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Hi Meg,
Glad you decided to join. This isn't a very active group, but once in a while gets interesting. I love to knit and have been doing so for years now. Also like to spin wool and dye.
Hope to talk to you soon,
Linda
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
New User
Panna
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Panna and I started knitting back in 1984. I would knit on the bus ride to work. Then in 1990 I just stopped knitting and I would love to start again. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any suggestions.
Panna
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Panna. You could maybe start by looking through a few knitting magazines (IMO the two best are "Interweave Knits" and "Vogue Knitting" ). See what things inspire you. I was inspired to start knitting again after I saw a beautiful red scarf that I couldn't afford (read: pure cashmere at a designer boutique) but I knew I could probably make something similar. And I did. :smileyhappy:

Panna wrote:
Hi, my name is Panna and I started knitting back in 1984. I would knit on the bus ride to work. Then in 1990 I just stopped knitting and I would love to start again. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any suggestions.

Melissa W.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online:66 members 455 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: