Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Re: "Cover Up" by Nicky Epstein

Epstien's patterns are so intricate; kudos to you for tackling one! I hope the publisher gets back to you about the boo-boos!

Don't worry pedsphleb- I had finished the throw by working out the mistakes- but I see no indications of the corrections on the "corrections" page for this title on the publisher's website.

I too wonder if there is an arrangement for using a particular yarn when a book goes to press. I know a lot of designers have knitters actually make their designs and I know yarns are discontinued all the time so it may be a function of the time it takes a book to make it to market but it is disappointing.
Reader
daveyswife_21
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Hi everyone! I am new to knitting and i just camt get the hang of it. I can crochet all day with my eyes closed but put those 2 needles in my hand and I am just dumbfounded. I have the book knitting for dummies and there is still no hope. Any help would be very greatly appreciated! Thank you so so so much!!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group!

In my opinion, the illustrations in Knitting for Dummies aren't the best.  If you're looking for a good beginner's book you can try Stitch n' Bitch by Debbie Stoller; I think her graphics designer/editor did a great job.  If you're looking for maybe a video you can search the website Knitting Help - it has TONS of videos so you can see how things work in a continuous frame.

If nothing else, contact your local yarn store.  Even if there are no beginner's classes going on right now someone at the store may be able to sort out your sticks and string :smileyhappy:

daveyswife_21 wrote:
Hi everyone! I am new to knitting and i just camt get the hang of it. I can crochet all day with my eyes closed but put those 2 needles in my hand and I am just dumbfounded. I have the book knitting for dummies and there is still no hope. Any help would be very greatly appreciated! Thank you so so so much!!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Daveyswife,

My local B&N has started having a "knit in" once a month! Maybe you can see if there are similar activities near you and find out if someone has a hint on where you could get some help.  Although the one needle/two needles thing is a hassle in the beginning- you have lots of other knowledge you bring to this new craft- yarn weights, pattern reading, and patience!

Good luck,

Oldesq

pedsphleb wrote:
Welcome to the group!

If nothing else, contact your local yarn store.  Even if there are no beginner's classes going on right now someone at the store may be able to sort out your sticks and string :smileyhappy:

Contributor
GinMarie
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is GinMarie.  I've only been knitting a short time (scafts and shawls).  In March I'm taking a beginning knitting class with my daughter so we can help each other.  We'll be making a vest so I think I'll learn a lot.  I love to knit and when I'm watching TV I feel as though I'm doing something with my time instead of just sitting there like a coach potato.  If I work on a no brainer during that time I usually don't make any mistakes.
I have 5 grown children and 4 grandchildren. 
When you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on. Eleanor Roosevelt
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome!  I think many of us feel the same way about knitting and TV watching.  Now if there was only a way to read a book or email and knit at the same time....I need an extra set of hands some days. :smileyvery-happy:

GinMarie wrote:
Hi, My name is GinMarie.  I've only been knitting a short time (scafts and shawls).  In March I'm taking a beginning knitting class with my daughter so we can help each other.  We'll be making a vest so I think I'll learn a lot.  I love to knit and when I'm watching TV I feel as though I'm doing something with my time instead of just sitting there like a coach potato.  If I work on a no brainer during that time I usually don't make any mistakes.
I have 5 grown children and 4 grandchildren. 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
New User
kathyegg
0 Kudos

Hello

My name is Kathy and I have always had a love of reading and knitting.  I learned to knit at an early age (I made myself this really cool looking pink sweater when I was in grade school)

Many, many years has since passed - I have always kept up with reading but only recently rediscovered the joy of knitting.  I am one of those who is hung up on wash clothes/face clothes - since it will give me the practice on new patterns.

I have been knitting baby blankets(real simple) for a nearby hospital - but I want to branch out.

This book  (TFNKC) really touched my heart.  I found the complexity of the characters both fascinating and extremely realistic.  It certainly is a tribute to stron women everywhere. 

I am very excited about being a part of this group.

Kathy 
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Kathy! :smileyhappy: If you interested in both branching out and knitting for a good cause, the book Knitting for Peace details a number of charities and non-profits that make and donate knitted items.  Charities included are the Mother Bear Project (sends knitted teddy bears to African children), Project Linus (makes "security blankets" for kids and teens in need), and Warm Up America.

kathyegg wrote:
Hello

My name is Kathy and I have always had a love of reading and knitting.  I learned to knit at an early age (I made myself this really cool looking pink sweater when I was in grade school)

Many, many years has since passed - I have always kept up with reading but only recently rediscovered the joy of knitting.  I am one of those who is hung up on wash clothes/face clothes - since it will give me the practice on new patterns.

I have been knitting baby blankets(real simple) for a nearby hospital - but I want to branch out.

This book  (TFNKC) really touched my heart.  I found the complexity of the characters both fascinating and extremely realistic.  It certainly is a tribute to stron women everywhere. 

I am very excited about being a part of this group.

Kathy 

Melissa W.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

I'm Gisela. I've only posted a few times here, usually just read the posts. Most of the time I'm knitting. My latest project is to knit 100 bears for Mother Bear Project ( motherbearproject.org  ). I started a couple of weeks ago and so far have knitted twelve. I started a blog on which I post my daily thoughts and pictures of my progress. I do the blog mainly to keep myself on track. I know I won't be able to knit six or eight hours a day for very long, especially with the sun coming out and the weeds calling me to the garden. But I figure I should be able to have 100 of them before Christmas. They are really easy to do and I know they will go to a great cause.
MsT
New User
MsT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello all, I've been a seamstress for years but living in Florida doesn't really encourage knitting. After a trip to Vermont, I became a convert! I'm a year along in my knitting career and have finished two scarves, a cabled capelet(I somehow managed to completely break the cables), and two hats (and one actually fit!). I am about to graduate to a new project-- a lunch tote from Classic Elite Yarns so I don't have to use nappy plastic bags from the grocery store. (I know you'd think you'd never run out, but since I switched to reusable grocery totes, I'm almost there!) The lace pattern will be a new challenge, so I'm sure I'll be asking for help.
As an avid reader I've read Stitch n' Bitch and loved it! It was the book that launched my yarn. Since then I've perused many a pattern book and subscribed to Vogue Knitting (those projects are a little beyond me still). I haven't read the novels yet, but I want to pick up the mystery one, knit one kill two.
I'm also curious about a new pattern book, Odd Ball Knitting, for one skein and left over yarn projects. Has anyone looked through it yet? Are the patterns good?
Anyway I'm off to browse the virtual bookshelves! T

Message Edited by MsT on 04-16-2008 01:43 PM
Aseret the Book Eater
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

I've looked through Odd Ball Knitting but I haven't made anything from it.  Strangely enough I don't have any odd balls of yarn :smileysurprised:

MsT wrote:
Hello all, I've been a seamstress for years but living in Florida doesn't really encourage knitting. After a trip to Vermont, I became a convert! I'm a year along in my knitting career and have finished two scarves, a cabled capelet(I somehow managed to completely break the cables), and two hats (and one actually fit!). I am about to graduate to a new project-- a lunch tote from Classic Elite Yarns so I don't have to use nappy plastic bags from the grocery store. (I know you'd think you'd never run out, but since I switched to reusable grocery totes, I'm almost there!) The lace pattern will be a new challenge, so I'm sure I'll be asking for help.
As an avid reader I've read Stitch n' Bitch and loved it! It was the book that launched my yarn. Since then I've perused many a pattern book and subscribed to Vogue Knitting (those projects are a little beyond me still). I haven't read the novels yet, but I want to pick up the mystery one, knit one kill two.
I'm also curious about a new pattern book, Odd Ball Knitting, for one skein and left over yarn projects. Has anyone looked through it yet? Are the patterns good?
Anyway I'm off to browse the virtual bookshelves! T

Message Edited by MsT on 04-16-2008 01:43 PM

Melissa W.
New User
jordan_dye08
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone, I am Jordan and I am quite a knitter!!
I learned how to knit many, many years ago when my Grandma taught me.
I come from China but I am American. On the trip by ship over here to America we thought it was going to not take long but it turned out to be 2 months!! My grandma is a knit knit knitter! Since we were moving she brought all her knit stuff and showed me and my mom how to knit! We knit everything!: Shirts, Pants, skirts underwear... EVERYTHING!! So yeah I can knit everything not to brag but you can!
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Hi Jordan!  Welcome to the group! :smileyhappy:

jordan_dye08 wrote:
Hello Everyone, I am Jordan and I am quite a knitter!!
I learned how to knit many, many years ago when my Grandma taught me.
I come from China but I am American. On the trip by ship over here to America we thought it was going to not take long but it turned out to be 2 months!! My grandma is a knit knit knitter! Since we were moving she brought all her knit stuff and showed me and my mom how to knit! We knit everything!: Shirts, Pants, skirts underwear... EVERYTHING!! So yeah I can knit everything not to brag but you can!

Melissa W.
New User
cheryllove
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Cheryl and I used to knit when I was a young girl, about 12 or 13,  I made a poncho and a sweater.  Somehow I moved on to other things. Recently I started back to knitting and have made a sweater, a shrug and now have several WIP! I love the art.  I am slowly venturing into intermediate type patterns, but just love to listen to others talk knit.  I came across this page before and just read everything - but have decided to join in. I look forward to reading everyones ideas and comments.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome!  Feel free to ask questions, suggest patterns and yarns you love, etc.  This board is pretty free form. :smileyhappy:

cheryllove wrote:
Hi,

My name is Cheryl and I used to knit when I was a young girl, about 12 or 13,  I made a poncho and a sweater.  Somehow I moved on to other things. Recently I started back to knitting and have made a sweater, a shrug and now have several WIP! I love the art.  I am slowly venturing into intermediate type patterns, but just love to listen to others talk knit.  I came across this page before and just read everything - but have decided to join in. I look forward to reading everyones ideas and comments.

Melissa W.
New User
Heart-and-Hands
0 Kudos

Hi, folks! I am a knitter, quilter, librarian, wife, mother and grandma.

I love to knit socks but right now am working on some "big stuff"

Most of my quilting is for a project my quilt group is doing- baby quilts for a local faith-based pregnancy center. That is a lot of fun.

I live in NJ but am from Oklahoma.

Maggie
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Maggie :smileyvery-happy:

Heart-and-Hands wrote:
Hi, folks! I am a knitter, quilter, librarian, wife, mother and grandma.

I love to knit socks but right now am working on some "big stuff"

Most of my quilting is for a project my quilt group is doing- baby quilts for a local faith-based pregnancy center. That is a lot of fun.

I live in NJ but am from Oklahoma.

Maggie

Melissa W.
New User
mwg112
0 Kudos

Hi. I taught myself how to knit a few years ago and fell in love! I am always looking for new and interesting patterns. Right now I'm learning how to cable knit and have recently finished my first cable knit sweater.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group :smileyhappy:

mwg112 wrote:
Hi. I taught myself how to knit a few years ago and fell in love! I am always looking for new and interesting patterns. Right now I'm learning how to cable knit and have recently finished my first cable knit sweater.

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

Hi, Maggie.  I saw your "what's on your needles" post, and I laughed out loud at your despair over next gen fertility!  I also am part of a knitting ministry at my church, but I've mostly been making baby things for NICU and a shelter.  Then I started making baby afghans from a pattern book using two yarns and a #15 needle, so they knit up fast.  Made a few of those, then decided to tackle a stash of some baby yarn left over from another afghan a couple years ago.  It was inexpensive boucle type stuff, similar to Lion Brand's homespun.  I just wanted to use it up because I didn't like knitting with it.  I started just making long strips of alternating blocks to sew together into an afghan...but then I'd run out of one color and have to get more, and then again...you can guess that I've now had to buy about 4-5 more skeins of yarn I don't even like.  But the church ladies liked it because it is kind of soft and fluffy.  I found a pattern on Lion B's website for crocheting a variable striped panel thing, so I adapted it for knitting and used the baby pastels.  It's nearly done and came out cute.  I still have a few more skeins of pink and lavender shades so maybe I'll use them to do another one like that, but I think I'll just be more random about the rows so I do't have to go out and buy more of that yarn!!!

Cindy
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online:45 members 262 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: