Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Introduce yourself!

Feel free to introduce yourself to the group (or re-introduce yourself as the case may be)! 

I'm your reader-moderator and I re-learned to knit about 5 years ago.  My grandmother taught me as a little girl but I just wasn't terribly interested then - it's amazing what we'll do for a cashmere scarf once we're grown up!  I tend to have many projects going at once and continually shoo my two cats out of my knitting bag.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
TrueBrit07
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi!  I'm new here and I'm also on Ravelry ---KnitGirl07 over there.  I have a yarn room--looks alot like a yarn store!-- and also keep numerous knitting and crocheting projects going at once.  I've been knitting for 3 years and taught myself the basics.  I swear by "Knitting for Dummies" and "Crocheting for Dummies" to learn.  I took lessons then to fine-tune, i.e. yo's, k2tog, k1p1, psso, etc., etc.   I love the new Debbie Bliss magazine and the new One Knit Wonders Luxury Knit books.  And Elizabeth Zimmerman books, too!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever

Hi, I'm Dreamer. I am relatively new to knitting (I've been knitting for close to 2 years) but really enjoy it. I'm not the most patient person in the world so knitting really helps me calm down and stay calm when I'm stressed. (Actually, it's amazing that I'm patient enough to keep knitting.) I am working on a prayer shawl for the local hospice. Unfortunately, I can only do a basic knit/purl pattern and can't understand a pattern from a book for the life of me. I have a bunch of things that I'm working on right now-in fact, I have had to start putting 2 projects on the same set of needles! I am trying to dig in though and learn new things!

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
New User
Marlasoana
0 Kudos

Greetings, fellow Knitters froggers, and stashers! I'm Laura, and I've been knitting for who knows how long. I just know that I'm very avanced in my knitting...and i have an issue that i know a lot of other knitters have...a black hole of uncompleted projects. Yep...I'm guilty. Another is buying just one skein, hank or ball of yarn just because i like the feel or the color...oh my...but you know...it sure is a great thingat the time of purchase

:smileywink:

~*~Toujours Pur~*~
Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

I am new to this website but not new to knitting. I am a sock freak and love to make socks. I also love to feel yarn. Yep, I too am a yarn feeler. The texture and the color, Wow!!! So, I have stashes of yarn that would make most yarn shops envy me. My husband is less than thrilled. I took up knitting in earnest when I became ill a few years ago and I credit it with giving me the strength to haul myself back. It seems to be a panacea for many ills.

I taught my autistic niece to knit after I did some research and found out it was one of the best therapies around. I try to teach everyone I come in contact with to knit. Now my 14 year old is carrying around needles and squeezing yarns. I also have taken up spinning my own yarn. I have a pelt in the back room waiting to been cleaned and carded. I would love to own llamas to have a complete process going. For some reason, my husband has drawn the line at the llama thing. Oh well, it just gives me reason to go down to a shop that sells roving. Gee! Anyway, I am a wife, mom, professional, and an avid crafter.

It is nice to have a place to gather with other knitters and share.

Dawn

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Do you do your own carding?  I would love to learn to spin but I have trouble with unprocessed animal fiber (I'm allergic to pretty much most animal dander, etc).

DawnSchultz wrote:

I am new to this website but not new to knitting. I am a sock freak and love to make socks. I also love to feel yarn. Yep, I too am a yarn feeler. The texture and the color, Wow!!! So, I have stashes of yarn that would make most yarn shops envy me. My husband is less than thrilled. I took up knitting in earnest when I became ill a few years ago and I credit it with giving me the strength to haul myself back. It seems to be a panacea for many ills.

I taught my autistic niece to knit after I did some research and found out it was one of the best therapies around. I try to teach everyone I come in contact with to knit. Now my 14 year old is carrying around needles and squeezing yarns. I also have taken up spinning my own yarn. I have a pelt in the back room waiting to been cleaned and carded. I would love to own llamas to have a complete process going. For some reason, my husband has drawn the line at the llama thing. Oh well, it just gives me reason to go down to a shop that sells roving. Gee! Anyway, I am a wife, mom, professional, and an avid crafter.

It is nice to have a place to gather with other knitters and share.

Dawn

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I learned to  knit in grade school in the 60s, but didn't do it that much.  I had other hobbies (crocheting, beading, stained glass, sewing, etc.) that I enjoyed more.  Then about 18 months ago, everywhere I went people were talking about knitting socks. At about that time, someone on a messageboard was collecting scarves to go to Iraq with her son.  I made four or five scarves and realized I enjoyed knitting.  

Since I am retired and moved after retiring, I thought taking a sock knitting class would be a great way to meet people and went to my LYS and signed up.  Turns out, the classes were individual sessions, so the only people I met were the teacher and the store owner. Still, I was hooked.

Since I took that class in October, I have knit nine pairs of socks, four Christmas stockings, three scarves, and eight hats for charity or women having chemo.

Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

Yes, I actually do card the wool. I have a complete pelt in a box in the top of my closet that needs the whole works. I need to wash it and pick all the burrs and grass from it. Then card it. I found out that I need another set of carders to get it started. The carders I have are for finishing work, once you get the wool clean of all the trash and junk animals pick up. I need the longer toothed carders with one row of the teeth, (it kind of looks like a rake) to start the carding with then finish it out with the larger carders. I have heard that working with an original pelt is good for your hands because of the lanolin the pelt has. I too have pet dander allergies but have not had problems with wool, yet.

When I work with roving that has becomed tangled, I take the finish carders and realign the wool unidirectional so that I can spin it.

I am a little afraid to wash the pelt I have because they are very easy to felt. The water has to stay the same temperature between the wash and rinse process. My water heater is electric so the temp varies more than I would like for this process. I just need to get in there and get started with a little bit until I get the hang of it.:smileywink:

Reader 2
ammobaby
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

My name is Lindsay. I have recently taught myself to knit and am completely addicted! I am constantly on the go with two young sons, a full time job and being a part time student. I have found that knitting is a great way to relax.  I love the feel of the yarn and needles as I relax and wash away the stress of another busy day. I have not been able to find any knitting groups in my area or have any friends near by that knit too so I am thrilled to have found a place to be able to talk to other knitters! I am currently working on a sweater for my self and a scarf for my mother-in-law. So far they are looking great.

Happy Holidays!

Lindsay 

New User
crystalball
0 Kudos

I've been knitting on and off since I was 5 when my Mom taught me so I would sit still occasionally.  I've never taken lessons and teach myself as I need to learn new things from books. After reading Elizabeth Zimmerman I do most pieces on round needles.  I've knit everything from gloves with fingers to a Patricia Roberts sweater in an English Pattern written for color and pattern within a pattern change (20 years ago, I don't think I could repeat that now) I knit mostly while doing other things: listening to books on tape, talking on the phone, watching TV or riding in the car or airplane.  I'm best while doing at least 2 things at once.  I don't know anyone else who knits and I'm always looking for a good knit shop.  If there is a Stitch and Bitch group (or any kind of knitting group) in the Chicago North Suburban area, please contact me. 

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Hi, all.  I'm Chana, I've also been knitting on and off since I was a wee thing and my mom taught me to knit.  For years I knitted sweaters almost exclusively, then branched out into scarves and blankets and hats and baby clothes.  In a recent swap someone sent me sock yarn, so of course I had to give socks a try.  After a few years of working with bulky yarns, I've gotten back into lace in a big way.  I usually have several projects going at once, the bigger and/or more complex ones for at home, and the smaller projects in a bag with me, to take out on the bus, or waiting in lines, or commuting to work.  When I find a new pattern, I have to force myself to finish at least one ongoing project before beginning...not always successful in this, I'm afraid, especially if I "happen" to find the perfect yarn for the new project in the LYS.

As a working mom, my time (and budget) get quite strained between reading and knitting (oh, and beading, too).  I definitely need one of those mugs that say "Housework is for women who haven't discovered knitting yet". 

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Contributor
SammytheCraftyGnome
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm Sammy, the crafty gnome!

I love to do anything that has to do with crafting, like knitting, crocheting, sewing, embellishing, decorating, scrapbooking, quilting, and pretty much anything else in the craft world! I'm new on the site and I am very excited t ohave found a group of people who share the same interest as me, KNITTING!!!

Have a Crafty Day!!

SammytheCraftyGnome~:smileyvery-happy:

New User
c-k-r
0 Kudos

I learned to crochet about 20 years ago and got inspired to pick it up again just a few months ago after going to Michael's craft store.  My mom taught me how to knit and now I like doing both.  I am learning how to read patterns.  I am finishing up a crocheted sweater and would like to knit a sweater next.  I am definitely hooked!
New User
MaryMom67
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Mary and I am 41 years young or at least I think I am most days.  I taught myself how to knit last winter and have yet to finish a project of a scarf.  I will get it done this year I think as I anticipate an easier year than this past year.  I am a special ed teacher (my first year back from a 20 year sabatical-staying home to raise my kids) and am working on my master of special education.  Needlework of any kind is my way to escape without taking a "real" vacation.  I first learned to crochet many many years ago and it took me a while to decide to try a two handed needle project.  I also bead and do cross-stitching when I have time.

Mary

Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'm Sarita... I'm just learning to knit; I've been crocheting for several years now, but I really like some of the patterns that can only be achieved by knitting. What I really really love the most is the click-clack, click-clack of the needles! 

I also write and teach Preschool.

Sarita Li
New User
bookworm3687
0 Kudos

Like Dreamer, I taught myself how to knit. After close to 4 years, I still have issues with tension, so everything I make seems to be very stretchy haha. I'm horrible at following patterns, but I'm hoping to eventually be able to make some of the gorgeous things I see in magazines :smileyhappy: I can make corsets and quilts at the drop of a pin, but tension still gives me issues haha.
New User
bookworm3687
0 Kudos

Totally forgot one of the most important parts!! Haha, my name is Stephanie, at the moment I'm a college senior (age 21 for now :smileyvery-happy:), set to graduate in spring with by BA in English Literature!! After that it's onto my teaching credential, then possibly an MA in Library Science. I'm still trying to get my mom into knitting and/or crocheting, but for some reason she does everything backwards and neither of us can figure it out haha. I'll stop blabbing now. I'm so happy to have a group of people to talk to. Maybe I can finally get my knitting fine-tuned :smileywink:
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Stephanie!
Melissa W.
New User
ketlian
0 Kudos

Hello!

I've been knitting, slowly, for about 15 years. I'm not good, but I love the feel of the yarn and the movement of the needles!

Ketlian

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Ketlian! :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 770 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: