Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Knitting, crochet and needlework in folk magic

In my reading lately, especially in Burning Bright and Solstice, I've noted references to the uses of needlework in folk "magic" - protection "spells" and the like. Here's a short article I recently posted on the topic. I'm wondering if other readers have any information or recommendations on this topic.

http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/knitting-in-folk-magic/
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Knitting, crochet and needlework in folk magic

Thanks for the link!  I think that it is very true that needlework is used to convey spells and prayers.  I've not read anything specifically on the topic, but it is starting to creep into popular fiction so maybe someone who is versed in both folk magic and needle/fiber arts will write a book about it someday :smileyhappy:

katknit wrote:
In my reading lately, especially in Burning Bright and Solstice, I've noted references to the uses of needlework in folk "magic" - protection "spells" and the like. Here's a short article I recently posted on the topic. I'm wondering if other readers have any information or recommendations on this topic.

http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/knitting-in-folk-magic/

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Regric
0 Kudos

Both of my grandmothers told me that each stitch is a spell, and each creation is a working of magic. One grandmother was Italian, the other Scot, and both were from the old country...so, yes, there is magic in the making of things by hand and skill.

I have found that if I am making something for someone, that focusing that intent while working the yarn does seem to give a certain energy to the project.

regina
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I've just begun reading The Lace Reader, which is about this very topic. Several of the characters read fortunes through lace, in this case, Ipswich lace. So far, so good- enjoying it a lot!
MLS
Frequent Contributor
MLS
0 Kudos

For sure when I am knitting or crocheting I use that time to pray for good to come to the receiver of my creation! Now of course that is after I have the pattern learned good so I don"t have to concentrate so much on what I am doing!
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Just finished reading The Lace Reader. One of the best books I've read this year. It's about a family of women living in Salem, MA, some of whom tell fortunes by reading pieces of lace. It's also about a young woman coping with mental illness who comes to terms with herself and her past. Very well written. My review:

http://yourehistory.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/modern-lit-the-lace-reader-by-brunonia-barry/

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 184 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: