Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Start Here: About This Book Club

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Knitting Book Club!

This is your home for asking questions, giving advice, and sharing your success stories (and frustrations!) about knitting.

Below is a sample of the types of books we could discuss in this group -- everything from beginner guides to advanced techniques, from fiction to memoir. There isn't a one-book-per-month structure for this conversation; instead, books like these will function as a springboard -- a reference library or a starting point -- for any knitting discussion you'd like to have.

A Good Yarn
Debbie Macomber
In the year since it opened, A Good Yarn has thrived -- and so has Lydia Hoffman, the owner. Four women, brought together by the craft of knitting, find companionship and comfort in each other. Who would've thought that knitting socks could change your life?

Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook
Debbie Stoller
It's the essential guide for chicks with sticks -- from the tools of the trade to the knitty-gritty of techniques and patterns, all with easy-to-follow step-by-step illustrated techniques. After the how-to comes the why-to: forty hip, stylish patterns, as good for beginners as they are for purly pros.

The Knitting Circle
Ann Hood
After the sudden loss of her only child, Mary joins a knitting circle as a way to fill the empty hours and lonely days, not knowing that it will change her life. Alice, Scarlet, Lulu, Beth, Harriet, and Ellen welcome Mary into their circle despite her reluctance to open her heart to them. Each woman teaches Mary a new knitting technique, revealing their own stories of loss, love, and hope until Mary finds the spark of her own life again.

Knitting Beyond the Edge: Cuffs and Collars, Necklines, Hems, Closures: The Essential Collection of...
Nicky Epstein
Epstein shares more than 150 one-of-a-kind adornments for cuffs, collars, angles, corners, and necklines—embellishments for any type of garment edging. They range in difficulty level; some are simple but elegant, others complex and truly extraordinary. All are accompanied by detailed instructions and crisp color photography.

Knit One, Kill Two
Maggie Sefton
Kelly Flynn never picked up a pair of knitting needles she liked until she strolled into House of Lambspun. Now, in the first in a brand-new series, she learns how to knit one, purl two, and untangle the mystery behind her aunt's murder.

One-Skein Wonders
Judith Durant (Editor)
Every knitter's closet is overpopulated by clumps of skeins, those orphan strays left over from abandoned or completed projects. One-Skein Wonders solves this knotty problem by unraveling 101 original and imaginative solutions for these yarn orphans, including nifty mittens, hats, scarves, bags, socks, ponchos, baby sweaters, belts, headbands, and even a cell phone carrier and a tea cozy.

Wendy Knits: Adventures with Two Needles and an Attitude
Wendy D. Johnson
In this warm, wise, and witty memoir, Johnson takes a look at her lifelong obsession with "casting on" as she chronicles her journey from a crudely self-taught, left-handed beginner to one of the world's most prolific knitters-not to mention premier knitting bloggers.

The Crocheting School: A Complete Course
The materials you need, the way to hold the hook, and directions for dozens of stitches: here is essential information for any newcomer to crochet. Start out learning the 3 basic crochet stitches and quickly move on to making geometric forms, lace patterns, edgings, and seams. By the time you've worked your way though the large selection of stitches and weaves, you'll have mastered over 50 fundamental techniques.

We're excited to welcome a long-standing member of the community, Melissa W. (username: pedsphleb), as the Reader-Moderator for this group. She'll provide some general discussion questions to keep us moving forward, but you should also feel free to start a New Message at any time.

The conversation is all yours, so enjoy the book club!

Message Edited by BillP on 08-16-2007 02:36 PM

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: Start Here: About This Book Club

I was hoping we weren't going to have to get a new book every month!!! But this is a good wish list to start with.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
cseelman
0 Kudos

Denise,

You won't need to get a new book every month. The books that are mentioned are great resources and project books. But you can choose to use your own resources and patterns.

You will see references to these books throughout the board especially when they cover a topic very well. But no pressure!! You may find, as we start talking about projects, that one or two of the books will be invaluable in your library.
Carol Seelman
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I plan on adding them to my library as I go along. I think it's good to have a good selection of knitting books because questions come up and you can't always figure everything out and there's not always someone available to ask (sometimes those questions come up when the knitting shops are closed!).

Denise
Contributor
sarah_beth
0 Kudos

I have read A Good Yarn, and have enjoyed it immensely. I also read the book that came before it, "The Shop on Blossom Street" by the same author and am currently the third instalment in the series, "Back on Blossom Street". Each book highlights a different pattern for knitting as well as a new batch of characters and a touch on the old.
Sarah Beth
New User
cheryllove
0 Kudos

Well, fortunately I have read a few of these... A Good Yarn - which I loved! and The Knitting Circle - which was also very good.  Both have inspired and encouraged me to continue knitting.
So...

Cheryl
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 300 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: