Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Re: What's on your needles?

I finished my socks and they turned out great (well, IMO :smileywink: ), now I am knitting some hats (Lace-Edged Hat) for a friend of my sister.  The friend is going through chemo, so my sister bought yarn.  My sister, who has never been in a craft store in her life, now wants to learn to knit and guess who will be *trying* to teach her. 
Contributor
nhbooklover
0 Kudos

Good luck to you. I hope you have a lot of patience!!!

I think I'm going to try and teach myself to crochet, after I finish the two baby blankets that I'm currently working on, as well as trying to plan my spring'09 wedding, and I was also thinking of making a couple of hats for people for christmas, but we'll see on that last one!!!

Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Well, my socks are going much faster now - I got some 9" circs, and the dpns went back into the drawer - no more wrestling with a porcupine, and the itty bitty circs are much faster than knitting with 2 circs or magic loop as well.   I just had to get used to knitting with my fingertips and not with the whole hand.  :smileyvery-happy:
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Reader
azknitter
0 Kudos

I'm knitting socks and have a 2nd project lined up to knit socks for my dad.  I was informed over the weekend it would really be nice to have a nice pair of warm wool socks:smileysurprised: - gotta love dads!
Tina
azknitter - Arizona
New User
WildeAboutLit
0 Kudos

I am currently knitting a baby blanket for my son, who is now two.  Its been on my needles since he was about 2 months old.  Took out an almost complete crocheted afgan so I could knit this one, because I was just learning.  I am almost done though!  Soon, I tell you!  Soon!
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

A pair of Valentine socks, and a Gansey sweater. Let us know when your blankie's finished!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I haven't been able to move on from scarves and handwarmers since I first started knitting about a year ago. This winter I ( am still making scarves) but am determined to actually take on a different project. Maybe something that uses round needles but is easy. Any suggstions?
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Why don't you try a hat, knit in the round?  A hat is a small project so you wouldn't need to worry about anything too large or involved.  It would start on a circular and then switch to double points during the decreases. 

debbook wrote:
I haven't been able to move on from scarves and handwarmers since I first started knitting about a year ago. This winter I ( am still making scarves) but am determined to actually take on a different project. Maybe something that uses round needles but is easy. Any suggstions?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

That's a good idea, especially as I need one due to record cold temps we have been having.

And I am better with the decreasing than increasing. yo sometimes confuses me.

pedsphleb wrote:

Why don't you try a hat, knit in the round?  A hat is a small project so you wouldn't need to worry about anything too large or involved.  It would start on a circular and then switch to double points during the decreases. 

debbook wrote:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
TinkPink80
0 Kudos

Knitting on circulars!  I personally prefer to only knit on circulars.  (on my addi's)

The first hat is always such an accomplishment, and it's so easy to do!  Here is a very simple basic first time hat project, try it out. 

http://www.hjsstudio.com/hat.html 

Happy Knitting,

Trisha

"I'm gonna live forever, or die trying."
- Joseph Heller (Catch 22)
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Just a scarf update

I finished my scarf last night - finally - just in time for spring!  haha :smileyvery-happy:

It's very warm and very long.  I just need to be careful and pack it away until next winter so the cats keep their teeth off of it!

pedsphleb wrote:

A little update for me:

I made a hat for myself (after making two gifts for a friend - one of which was easy and the other of which decided it really would not like to turn out very well) using a cabled pattern out of the Debbie Bliss Magazine premiere issue.  I used a slightly different yarn (cashmerino instead of alpaca silk) so the hat wouldn't be so drapey; it's a slouchy beret and it turned out really well.

I have oodles of things on needles (and a vicious sock yarn stash) but I'm really trying to finish my new scarf.  I have a love for Cascade Yarn's Pastaza (50/50 lama/wool) and, as it turns out, so do my cats.  The fur-babies chewed a hole in my current Pastaza scarf so I had to make a new one.  I found a really pretty Pastaza Paints in a red/purple colorway.  I like my scarves wide and very long (so I can wrap them around my head and neck to keep out the wind) so it's taking me a while.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Just a scarf update

Fantastic! I don't know where you live, but here in CT, it's cold enough to wear that new scarf!
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Update.

The socks and Luna Moth shawl got put on hold for the holidays, had too many gifts to knit.  Made two lace cowls, and a hat, then decided I liked them so much I had to knit them for me.  Received some gorgeous Rowan chunky lambswool, and made that into a spiral scarf - a very quick knit, but the bind off was crazy - 720 stitches!  I kept binding off and binding off, the scarf off the needles was getting longer and longer, and the needles were still full, as if the stitches were replenishing themselves!  All that was missing was the Twilight Zone theme, episode of the Bind Off that Never Died......

I'm now back to socks and shawl, almost done with the former.  I'm making a blanket - a square a month and I'll have the blanket at the end of the year.  I've also started the Glorianna lace scarf, with KnitPicks shadow lace - very fiddly!  I'm putting in lifelines every 6 rows, since I had to frog several times in the beginning.  I need to start another easy project, for travelling and knitting on the go, since I can only do the lace at home. 

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Iowa!  So we're in the odd part of the year where it's 20 in the morning and 50 in the afternoon. :smileyvery-happy:

katknit wrote:
Fantastic! I don't know where you live, but here in CT, it's cold enough to wear that new scarf!

Melissa W.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I' ve  never considered Iowa weather the same as NE weather, but it sure sounds similar for this month. We still have about 7" of snow to melt, but little by little, the temps get a bit higher. We don't have much of a spring though....

The upshot is, don't pack that scarf away yet....

New User
Nemosyne
0 Kudos

As of right now, I'm working on two afghans. One is a cable sampler for my MIL for taking care of me after surgery. The other is an easy cabled one for my brother & his fiance for a wedding gift. I'mfinishing up a 2nd mitten based on the fingerless glove pattern Evangeline. I'm stuck at the moment on an Abrazo Sweater Vest (from Knitty.com). I have to figure out how to add darts. Any suggestions? I've been told to do short rows, but if anyone can recommend a resource for this, I'd appreciate it.

I've also got a few projects set aside waiting for my knitpicks needle order to get here. One is the February Lady Sweater done in Jo Sharp Soho Garden, 2nd is the Mr. Greenjeans Sweater (also from Knitty.com) in Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed. And lastly, I'm making the Wash Sweater for my dad out of Berocco Ultra Alpaca. I can't wait to work on these!!!

Contributor
sadie_leona
0 Kudos

Oh, goodness, I am such a procrastinator and I tend to not finish any project I've started.  I have numerous going at the moment - some I haven't worked on in over a year:  one fingerless glove, one mitten, one side of a cable-knit shawl, half a pieced scarf!  Sheesh!  Plus I get really tired of a pattern quite easily.  BUT I found the best solution.  I'm making a quilt-like thing when I found a book of hundreds of patterns and I'm making a few rounds of each (they end up being an array of squares, triangles, rectangles, etc.) - eventually I'll piece them all together and have an example of each stitch! 

|||||||||||||||||bioshock|||||||||||||||||
New User
neokyu
0 Kudos

I'm working on a pullover for a new grand daughter.  It has a mouse on the front and I'm knitting it in a larger size so hopefully it will be the right size for her when it is finished.  Knitting for kids is like skeet shooting, you have to have to aim a little ahead of the target.  :smileywink:
New User
AlexisDancer
0 Kudos

im working on a blue and green striped bag(i only have the bottonm so far im kinda stuck on the pattern) and a multi-colored striped scarf using yarn thats got those fuzzy strings on it.    For those of you living around Neenah Wisconsin Yarns By Design is a great store in downtown Neenah they have everything you need and some really cool classes (they are where i first learned to knit):smileyhappy:
New User
AlexisDancer
0 Kudos

I wish i could knit a sock but im still kind of a beginner and all the socks ive seen have weird ribbing and stiches that look hard to learn plus i dont get the whole double pointed needles thing so id rather make it in the round or with regular needles if possible.  anyone recomend a good book?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 543 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: