Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: What's on your needles?

There are ways of making a sock on two circular needles - if you can find

Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles that would probably help you out with the logistics of using two circs; you can't knit a sock using one small circular because the needles don't come that small and it would be a very tight circle.  Otherwise, socks are traditionally knit in the round using 4 or 5 double pointed needles; the only socks not knit in the round are argyle socks which are knit flat from the cuff down to the end of the argyle bit then joined in the round and finished traditionally through the foot.

Sock knitting is really no different than knitting any other garment; there are only two stitches, knit and purl, and a few special techniques to do with turning the heel and toe shaping. :smileyhappy: A few of my favorite sock knitting books are:

The Vogue Knitting Ultimate Sock Book 

This is the book I used to teach myself sock knitting.  I'm someone who learns pretty easily on my own, with just instructions and a diagram, and this breaks down different methods of construction (cuff-down versus toe-up, I prefere toe-up knitting because then I can make the leg as long as I want without worrying about running out of yarn) as well as recommendations for basic sock patterns, yarn weights, needles, and inventive patterns to try.

Favorite Socks (which is a collection of favorite sock patterns from the issues of Interweave Knits magazine - also a great favorite of mine)

and

Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn (which has a number of patterns and techinques for knitting with handpainted/hand-dyed sock yarn; the prettiest kind of sock yarn there is :smileyvery-happy: )

Do you have a local yarn store (LYS) that you frequent?  Most have sock knitting classes or someone available to help you out when learning new patterns and techniques.  It takes a bit of patience - it took many attempts, throwing the yarn and needles at the wall, and having a beer before I finally figured out how to work the Eastern cast-on for my toe-up socks but I'm glad I stuck with it :smileyhappy:

AlexisDancer wrote:
I wish i could knit a sock but im still kind of a beginner and all the socks ive seen have weird ribbing and stiches that look hard to learn plus i dont get the whole double pointed needles thing so id rather make it in the round or with regular needles if possible.  anyone recomend a good book?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome Alexis!

AlexisDancer wrote:
im working on a blue and green striped bag(i only have the bottonm so far im kinda stuck on the pattern) and a multi-colored striped scarf using yarn thats got those fuzzy strings on it.    For those of you living around Neenah Wisconsin Yarns By Design is a great store in downtown Neenah they have everything you need and some really cool classes (they are where i first learned to knit):smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm knitting a pair of socks from her book and found it to be great.  I'm starting the toe part and hope I'll be able to do that since I've never knitted socks before.

I highly recommend her book.

Happy Knitting,

Antwerpnative

Message Edited by antwerpnative on 06-27-2009 10:58 AM
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

In a long-overdue update, I'm knitting a cardie and booties for a friend of mine who is due in August with her second child (girl this time).

I'm knitting the cardie from

Knitting for Two 

and the booties from

Quick Baby Knits (it's my standard baby-bootie-gift pattern)

I'm using Dale of Norway's "Stork" cotton yarn in a pretty turquoise blue but I'm a bit put out because my LYS owner/guru let me know that Dale is discontinuing "Stork".  BOO!  It's a great summer yarn for just about any fine-gauge project.

Melissa W.
B&N Bookseller
Afton
0 Kudos

I've been fiddling around with cotton washcloths since it's been so hot, but I've started to plan my fall projects. I picked up the Fall issue of Knit Simple a few days ago and I think I'm going to tackle #22, the striped tunic if I can find a good yarn substitute for Zara by Filatura di Crosa. Not only is it out of my price range, I also don't enjoy working with (or wearing!) pure wool.

Reader 2
Linda_in_NH
0 Kudos

I currently have three projects going. I'm making a baby blanket for a colleage (Mason Dixon's Moderne Baby Blanket), a wrap for myself (Knitting Noro's Basic Wrap), and I'm working on a blanket for my son who is being deployed to Iraq in January. It's going to be comprised of four panels, 1 panel each being made by me, my two daughters, and my daughter-in-law. We're going to surprise him and send it to him after he deploys.

Linda in NH

Mother, Nana, Knitter, Reader, Wannabe Stay-at-home-something

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

That's a great project for your son!  I'm sure he will love it :smileyhappy:
Linda_in_NH wrote:

I currently have three projects going. I'm making a baby blanket for a colleage (Mason Dixon's Moderne Baby Blanket), a wrap for myself (Knitting Noro's Basic Wrap), and I'm working on a blanket for my son who is being deployed to Iraq in January. It's going to be comprised of four panels, 1 panel each being made by me, my two daughters, and my daughter-in-law. We're going to surprise him and send it to him after he deploys.

Linda in NH

Mother, Nana, Knitter, Reader, Wannabe Stay-at-home-something

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
BeckyJoBM
0 Kudos

Well, I started a sweater for my granddaughter for christmas, its January.  After I started it, I switched to two scarves for my daughters (easier) for christmas gifts, got them done in time....the sweater well....I...ahem...will let you know.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 414 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: