Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

What's on your needles?

Or hooks, for that matter.  Are you a one project at a time knitter?  Or do you have many projects that you rotate through?

Tell us what you're working on now!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: What's on your needles?

At the moment I'm working on a short sleeved cardi from Knitter's magazine.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Contributor
nhbooklover
0 Kudos

I usually have more than one project going at a time. I find that I get so far along with one project, and then I get bored with it, so I start something new. I think I might have a real problem!!

I've made a promise to myself that I would try to finish some of them before I started any new ones. We'll see how it goes!

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Yup, that's my tendency too. But too often, I put something aside, only to find it months later and be unable to figure out where I left off. This summer I forced myself to finish anything I started, but it wasn't easy!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
VictoriousMary
0 Kudos

I am a needle person into crocheting.  I live with five people and am talent-less as far domestic arts go.  To save the furniture and to save everyone from repeated food poisoning of one kind or another, I get assigned odd tasks based on the few things I can do.

With that said besides packing and emptying the dishwasher, and taking out the trash, I get to make a baby afghan for the newborns in our life.  We are all involved in education so between the adults we teach, or the parents of the children, or the teachers we interact with - never mind regular friends and family - it keeps me home and out of trouble - well maybe that last is not too true.

At any rate, at the beginning of September I thought I was ahead of the baby boom with 7 homemade unique little blankets.  Today I checked only to be shocked to see one lonely pink and white beauty waiting for a sweet girl to be.

I need to get busy.  I have two mothers due in February and have no idea who the others know and are expecting to give a homemade welcome blanket to in the near future.

Oh, I only do one at a time because I have learned that once I put a project down, I never pick it up again.

I crochet to calm down.  Friends know that the speed of the needle tells them the type of day I have had better than my conversation.  And I crochet on trips longer than an hour to keep my driver calm.  This way I watch my project rather than the road and this keeps me from driving anyone crazy.

I did not know anyone could write about such a craft and turn it into a story that would hold interest until recently.  I absolutely loved the Friday Night Knitting Club

I hope to learn about other fiction and authors and series around this.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Victorious Mary

Victorious Mary
Reader
Sweetie

2 socks at 1 time on circular needles, a sweater from Fitted Knits, and a paid of fingerless gloves.

Contributor
antwerpnative
0 Kudos

I work on several projects at a time.  I'm knitting a scarf for a niece, learning how to knit sock class project (1 sock on 2 circular needles), a needlepoint pilot project for a CA designer of a lady in a big red hat; a needlepoint bookcover in bargello which I took in a class at the ANG (American Needlepoint Guild) Converntion in Indian Wells, CA.  Phew.  That's all

Happy knitting et al.

Betty

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

At the moment I have about 3 scarves going and 2 hats and 1 prayer shawl. I think I'm getting in over my head but I'm pushing on anyway. (I'm thinking about starting a blanket...)
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

I have two ponchos, two scarves and an afghan going at the moment.  The ponchos are quick knits, but bulky, so I only work on them at home.  Same with the afghan, although it's with a much lighter weight yarn (bamboo).  I usually have a couple of smaller projects going for when I travel to and from work. For that, I saw a new scarf pattern I liked, and tried it with some yarn from my stash.  The pattern and yarn did not go together, so off the needles it came, and I started a different scarf with that yarn.  Then I went and bought some gorgeous cotton/viscosa yarn to try the new pattern with, and of course could not resist starting work with that yarn too. 

A new problem: a package arrived yesterday with some beautiful Kauni yarn I ordered for a shawl......now how on earth can I stop myself from starting with that too???? 

I'm going to start confusing myself very soon...   :-D

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
New User
GirlandCat
0 Kudos

I am starting my winter project, a semi difficult pattern out of seven day afghans.....this will take me more than seven days.

In between working on this I am reading the new Yarn Harlot, which is causing me to appear insane to fellow subway riders, because of my random outbursts of laughter.

New User
Hair_gossip
0 Kudos

I am currently knitting a scarf for a friend at her request and also trying out the Knitting loom that my Daughter has, not sure I like it :smileyindifferent: Guess I like the feel of the yarn and the movement of the needles. It is very relaxing, this loom stuff just does not do it for me.
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Of course I started the shawl.  Can't travel with it too well, though, the pattern is complicated and I have to really concentrate and count.  It's shaping up beautifully, and the yarn is sooooo nice.

Finished one of the scarves, and the other is about 1/3 done. 

A friend just sent me some gorgeous sock yarn.  Now, I've been knitting for over 40 years, mostly sweaters, scarves, blankets, sometimes hats and gloves, other things.....but I have never knitted a sock!!  (Shocking confession) So......... yesterday I began my first ever sock.  The working in the round with dpn's will still take some getting used to, but I do believe I've got the hang of it.  And the clever people who dye the sock yarn have made it come out in a pattern, ha!  Now how do I plan the second sock so that it comes out in the same pattern?   I think I'll worry about that if I get through the  first one.   :smileyvery-happy:

Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I asked a friend who uses the patterend sock yarn and (according to her) the trick is to start knitting both socks at the same point in the yarn's color pattern.

I think that might be harder than it looks but I'm very tempted by some Austrian yarn I saw at my LYS - apparently it's patterned after Hundertwasser and Klimt artwork (!!?!?!).  Next time I'm at the yarn store I'll write the company/yarn name down.

chana56 wrote:

Of course I started the shawl.  Can't travel with it too well, though, the pattern is complicated and I have to really concentrate and count.  It's shaping up beautifully, and the yarn is sooooo nice.

Finished one of the scarves, and the other is about 1/3 done. 

A friend just sent me some gorgeous sock yarn.  Now, I've been knitting for over 40 years, mostly sweaters, scarves, blankets, sometimes hats and gloves, other things.....but I have never knitted a sock!!  (Shocking confession) So......... yesterday I began my first ever sock.  The working in the round with dpn's will still take some getting used to, but I do believe I've got the hang of it.  And the clever people who dye the sock yarn have made it come out in a pattern, ha!  Now how do I plan the second sock so that it comes out in the same pattern?   I think I'll worry about that if I get through the  first one.   :smileyvery-happy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

I asked a friend who uses the patterend sock yarn and (according to her) the trick is to start knitting both socks at the same point in the yarn's color pattern.

That makes sense, I guess.  The beginning of the yarn was all in one solid colour for almost the exact number of cast on stitches, then a different solid colour for the first two rows, then the pattern started.  I assume I'll find that same sequence at some point halfway through the yarn....but what if it comes before I finish the first sock?   Or perhaps the sequence repeats more than once?  Idle speculation, I guess, until I get there.  Fascinating, though.

Chana

Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

I am definitely not monogamous when it comes to knitting or crochet. I think I have at least two or three of each on needles at any given time. Now that it is the holidays, I get even worse. I also add sewing and cross stitch to the mix. I have two shawls and a hat going on knitting. I have two afghans and a vest with crocheting. I guess I am a little ADD.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I am working on a pair of socks from a pattern I found on Ravelry.  The name of the pattern is Zig to the Zag and I really like the pattern.  The yarn I am using is Knit Picks' Felici, with the colorway of Schooner and I absolutely love the feel of the yarn. 

The last two pair of sock I have knit, I have used a 9" circular needle and it takes me only about a 10 hours to do a sock.  Since I'm still rather slow, that is amazing. 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I would say that 10 hours for a sock is excellent - that yarn isn't very thick! :smileyvery-happy:

Tarri wrote:

I am working on a pair of socks from a pattern I found on Ravelry.  The name of the pattern is Zig to the Zag and I really like the pattern.  The yarn I am using is Knit Picks' Felici, with the colorway of Schooner and I absolutely love the feel of the yarn. 

The last two pair of sock I have knit, I have used a 9" circular needle and it takes me only about a 10 hours to do a sock.  Since I'm still rather slow, that is amazing. 

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

A little update for me:

I made a hat for myself (after making two gifts for a friend - one of which was easy and the other of which decided it really would not like to turn out very well) using a cabled pattern out of the Debbie Bliss Magazine premiere issue.  I used a slightly different yarn (cashmerino instead of alpaca silk) so the hat wouldn't be so drapey; it's a slouchy beret and it turned out really well.

I have oodles of things on needles (and a vicious sock yarn stash) but I'm really trying to finish my new scarf.  I have a love for Cascade Yarn's Pastaza (50/50 lama/wool) and, as it turns out, so do my cats.  The fur-babies chewed a hole in my current Pastaza scarf so I had to make a new one.  I found a really pretty Pastaza Paints in a red/purple colorway.  I like my scarves wide and very long (so I can wrap them around my head and neck to keep out the wind) so it's taking me a while.

Melissa W.
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Another update here....

Tooooo many things going on, I'll soon have all my needles busy with something on them. Yarn has just been calling out to me from all directions.   Sometimes I see a yarn at the LYS, and I love it, and buy it, without any specific project in mind.  It may sit around my house for ages until it decides what it wants to be and tells me so.  Sometimes the yarn knows immediately, and calls to me to buy it and start NOW!  :smileyvery-happy:

The last scarf I mentioned is almost done, it's a drop stitch pattern that makes waves - which is just what I wanted, since I'm using a silk blend in shades of light blue and cream...

I'm still plodding on determinedly with my first sock.  Sometimes it just flows, and sometimes I feel like I'm wrestling with a porcupine - there are just too many pointy things getting in the way.  I just bought a set of 9" circulars in many sizes on eBay, which, when they arrive, may indeed improve my sock knitting career, after I finish these lovelies.

The revontuli shawl in Kauni rainbow wool is about 7/8 finished - it is simply fabulous yarn, delicious to work with. 

After over a year of wanting to work almost exclusively with bulky yarns,  my enjoyment with making the shawl is pushing me way into a lace kick - some fingerweight that's been lying around without an identity suddenly insisted upon becoming a lace scarf - I've done the first set of rows to see how it looks, and I love it.  Then I found some mohair in soft shades of browns and greys in the LYS, and despite my explaining to it that I already had too many projects and it would have to wait, it has decided to be a shawl. 

I chose the Luna Moth pattern.  I had never done a provisional cast on, and the instructions totally baffled me, which almost made me pass this one up, but I found a link on Ravelry with a video showing how it's done, and voila!  I've finished the first section and I'll soon get into the second chart.        

Oh, and I took a couple of days to make a bear for the Mother Bear project, wanted to see how much time it took.    

Talk about KADD!  (Knitter's ADD)                                             

Chana

Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

I just finished a lovely shawl with the most expensive yarn I ever bought. The final result was worth it. I LOVED working with it. I now have two more shawls and a vest going. I tried making a pair of socks with two circular needles and ended up getting lost. I think I need plenty of quiet to figure those out. I also have a project going for my oldest kid -- making cross stitched ornaments for her Christmas tree. One down and about a dozen more to go!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 759 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: