Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

sock books

Hi y'all,
Just wondering what your favorite sock knitting books might be.
Linda (katknit)
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: sock books

I'm still learning sock knitting (no socks yet), but I always love Interweave Knits sock patterns. Their new book "25 Favorite Socks" (collection of favorite patterns from the last 25 or so years of the magazine) is very nice :smileyhappy:

katknit wrote:
Hi y'all,
Just wondering what your favorite sock knitting books might be.
Linda (katknit)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

My current fave is Knit Socks by Betsy McCarthy. She has some neat patterns and gives directions for different yarn weights.
Contributor
CrystalVan
0 Kudos

I just started knitting socks for the first time two weeks ago. I found "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd indispensible. She uses multiple pictures to help you understand how to work the tricky parts of the sock, such as the heel flap, turn, and gussets. I had started with Charlene Schurch's book "More Sensational Knitted Socks," which has some great patterns, but is for some with a little experience. I like both books for a getting started library. Schurch also has an earlier book "Sensational Knitted Socks," which teaches a class sock. I like Budd's book best for learning and Schurch's books for pattern ideas.

I'm almost done with my first pair of socks!
Crystal V.
Contributor
Jeneral
0 Kudos

One of my favorites is "Knitting Vintage Socks" by Nancy Bush. I've made a couple socks out of the book, and the patterns are great. I also love the idea of knitting a pattern that's been around for a century or so. :-)
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Jeneral wrote:
One of my favorites is "Knitting Vintage Socks" by Nancy Bush. I've made a couple socks out of the book, and the patterns are great. I also love the idea of knitting a pattern that's been around for a century or so. :-)

I love that book too. A great resource.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I do have a fear of doing socks, but a saleslady at the knitting shop I go to convinced me to make a pair of socks. She suggested the book entitled " New Pathways for Sock Knitters". So I bought the sock yarn which is a variagated blue and green mixture. Now this book does socks by circular needles. You need 2 of them. And it explains by pictures how to use them as opposed to 4 dpn needles. I will try to start the socks soon as I get my projects done from Christmas. I sort of got backed up with projects to do.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
I do have a fear of doing socks, but a saleslady at the knitting shop I go to convinced me to make a pair of socks. She suggested the book entitled " New Pathways for Sock Knitters". So I bought the sock yarn which is a variagated blue and green mixture. Now this book does socks by circular needles. You need 2 of them. And it explains by pictures how to use them as opposed to 4 dpn needles. I will try to start the socks soon as I get my projects done from Christmas. I sort of got backed up with projects to do.

Socks are really not very hard. Give it a try - I know you can do it!
Contributor
DawnSchultz
0 Kudos

The easiest pattern I have found to learn by is on the DIY website under Knitty Gritty. It was one of the first shows on socks and they are exceedingly easy to do. It takes me probably two or three knitting sessions to finish them if I pay attention. You use larger yarn and needles so it is easier to see what you are doing with 4 needles. This is the website.  http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3484997,00.html

Now I knit all kinds of socks and love it.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I like Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=sensational+knitted+socks&bnit=H&bnrefer...
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I just got The Little Box of Socks and it is wonderful.  Each pattern is on a laminated card that you can take with you.The Little Box of Socks  
New User
ebunny
0 Kudos

I just bought 2 different sock books that use circular knitting needles.  I read the beginning of them & haven't had a chance to play since the holidays are keeping me busy.  They look really neat & should help prevent you from making orphan socks b/c you make both at the same time. Thought you might be interested in something different. 

The titles are:

2 at a time socks (mellissa morgan-oakes) - uses one 40" circular knitting needle

knitting circles around socks (antje gillingham) - uses 2 circular needles of various sizes.  Appears a bit more challenging

Hope this helps.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Have you tried the new 9" circulars?  I love them. 
Reader
azknitter
0 Kudos

I have purchased "2 At A Time Socks" for circular needles but haven't been brave enough to try this technique yet.  I normally use patterns out of Vogue: Socks Two or visit www.knitty.com for really great sock patterns.
Tina
azknitter - Arizona
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Top Tags
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 280 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: