Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

A Welcome from the Moderator

Greetings,

My name is Ande Zellman, and I am delighted to be moderating this month's discussion with Kris Holloway about her extraordinary memoir, Monique and the Mango Rains: Two Years with a Midwife in Mali.

I am the editorial director of the Literary Ventures Fund, a new private non-profit foundation with offices in Boston and New York that supports fiction, non-fiction and poetry as well as discourse about literature in today's world. Monique and the Mango Rains is LVF's first non-fiction selection. It was chosen for the many reasons you have discovered if you have read Kris' memoir.

And if you have read Monique you have experienced the tranformative power of a great book. I encourage you to join this conversation about a deep cross-cultural friendship between Kris and Monique Dembele, a true hero who is smart and funny and wise beyond her years. The midwives of Africa provide front-line healthcare to women, their children and by default the entire village. Kris' memoir widens the lens; it provides an instant connection to the lives of struggling Africans who, sadly, many of us know only through headlines filled with dispair or the charitable contributions of celebrities.

I'm looking forward to what I know will be a rich and memorable discussion. There is so much to talk about.

Thanks,
Ande

Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 279 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: