Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JVSANDWICH
0 Kudos

Monique and the Mango Rains

I was so glad I heard about this book. I loved it! As I was reading this book I felt as though I was there. I enjoy Kris's work so much and look forward to reading more of her work.
Author
KrisH
0 Kudos

Re: Monique and the Mango Rains

I'm curious - what helped you feel like you were there in Mali? What brought it alive for you?

Kris

Learn more about Monique and the Mango Rains.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

And how did you hear about this book?
New User
hollyrcpm
0 Kudos

I'm not the original poster, but I can tell you that your evocative descriptions of the heat, the smells, the bugs - even the giardia - are all things familiar to me. I have not lived in villages like you, but I have been to Africa and could relate to everything you wrote about. I got giardia in Ethiopia and even though I was staying in a hotel with a flushing toilet, I thought I was going to die. :smileyhappy: I had "attacks" in various important gov't buildings, too, where they had toilets but they definitely did not flush. I thought I'd die there too, of embarrassment. :smileyhappy: Good job.
Author
KrisH
0 Kudos

Isn't giardiasis fun? The worst was when I was taking a public bus, packed with people (and I mean packed), and had to ask the driver to pull over so that I could run up to a house along the side of the road and ask to use their "nyegen" (pit latrine). The kind man led me around the back of his hut, and I had to have my little explosion while hunkering down below the very short mudwalls as his family cooked, and chattered, and worked all around me. No privacy at all. But what a lovely thing: the bus driver didn't groan when I asked to pull over (and, in fact, everyone got off for a little break), and the man had no qualms about letting a stranger into his home. Hard to imagine that happening here in the U.S with such ease and kindness. And then there was the time that I had to drop my drawers in the middle of someone's field...but, I'll stop before you all realize the pages of bodily fluid stories that (fortunately) got cut from the book.

Kris

Learn more about Monique and the Mango Rains.
Users Online
Currently online: 18 members 209 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: