Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Tell me who you are

I'm wondering if you are midwives, current, former or to-be Peace Corps workers, women, men, old, young, none of the above, all of the above. Are you any of these?
New User
ghikes
0 Kudos

Re: Tell me who you are

Kris - I have just finished chapter 6 and loving your book. I love esp that it is both Monique's and your story, 2 women from such different backgrounds, both with extraordinary guts to go beyond what is the expected and comfortable to create something better. I am a nurse practioner and mother of grown children. I work esp with people with diabetes - such a common disease and easily (comparatively) treated here - but probably fatal there. I've always wanted to join a medical mission - and so am avidly soaking up your experience! Gayle from CT
New User
amymclark75
0 Kudos

I'm a returned Peace Corps Volunteer and now work for the agency. Not a midwife, but an educator.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Where were you when you were in the Peace Corps? Was your experience as life-changing as Kris'?
Author
KrisH
0 Kudos

Hi Gayle,

So glad you're enjoying the read. If you've read thru chapter 6, then you just read about Korotun's birth. That was a formative experience for me.

As for diabetes (and other chronic diseases) in Mali, I think it will become a problem as the economy grows, the country becomes urbanized, and its people eat more fat and gain more weight. There is a projection, as you probably know, of great increases in diabetes over the next 25 years in the developing world. So, if it's a medical mission you're after, there will certainly be work to do. And Mali is a great place to do it in! have you thought about where you'd want to go?

Kris

Learn more about Monique and the Mango Rains.
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 865 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: