Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Impressions of Africa

The news is riddled with stories of war, disease, and famine in Africa. Yet Kris writes that she "has an immense amount of hope" because she knew Monique.

After reading the book, how do you feel about Africa?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

New User
ktholkes
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Impressions of Africa

I too have a great amount of hope. Kris has done a wonderful job. I feel as though there are many similarities between women in America and women in Mali--there has been a bridge built. thank you, Kris for that gift. There is much to learn from the people who live so close with the Earth.

I realize that I have been living my life in FEAR of Africa. FEAR of the staggering statistics of AIDS, rapes of virgins and primitive shamanistic practices and animal sacrifices, famine, war and lack of healthcare...who would think you could change that, and yet, Kris is now on a path after the death of her friend that could seriously change the continent...could change our continents' view of Africa!

Congratulations on a job well done. Monique and the mango rains was a compelling read, like the poisonwood bible, and I could not put it down. Reading these books, seeking another side of Africa, as opposed to the media portrayal has helped me grow.
Author
KrisH
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Impressions of Africa

Your point is a good one. There is so much fear that is propagated through the media. Imagine if someone in Mali listened to the news coming out of our country: violent shooting deaths, suicides, drunk driving accidents, one-third of all children in our large cities living in poverty. They would be scared indeed. But is this our day-to-day experience of life in the states? Of course not. Life is so much bigger and richer than the extremes of struggle.

Learn more about Monique and the Mango Rains.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 348 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: