Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
hicetnunc
0 Kudos

Questions for the author--ASK HER HERE!

[ Edited ]
ya'know Aqua..I was asking myself a very similar question, how the names come to be. Do some authors ever take into account the impact (maybe even the psychology) of choosing names that sound alike when naming their characters, specifically those that share deep a bond...the bit of cynic in me can't help but wonder.
Connie and Frannie sound alike, bud names, comfort names, it clicks immediately in our minds.
I wonder if it the names were Pepita and Sharon, would it click the same way in our minds?

Hey Kris has your editor ever suggested changing any of the names you give your characters?
I wonder how developed are your characters before you give them names? Does the name ever come first?
Oh hell I better stop..I can come up with a thousand questions...

T

Aqua wrote:
Kris,
I'd love to know how you choose the names of your characters. Connie and Frannie are such authentic, but not too common names for middle-aged women and I like that.
Aqua

Message Edited by hicetnunc on 03-07-200711:36 AM

Message Edited by clarepayton on 03-08-200711:06 AM

Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

Re: Greetings! It's March 5th, so let's begin!

The name game.....

I keep a file of the names I have used in books and the names I would like to use. I try to pick period names and as I am working on a story the names sometimes come to me as the face of the character comes to me. Like me - I look like a Kris. We all I think come to fit our names...do you know what I mean? I would not name a 58 year old Tiffany - or Ashley..a poodle maybe but...well, you know. Once in a great while if I am cruising along and the name is not working I will change it in mid-stream and also very rarely my editor will go, Kris - this woman is not a Barney. Sometimes I just look around my office at the authors and books I have and a name will fly - really fly into my heart and that is it - fire me - I am not going to change it.......it's fun for me to bring all these names and people to life- oh, hell - I love it - I could live in my office - who am I kidding?

Kris

hicetnunc wrote:
ya'know Aqua..I was asking myself a very similar question, how the names come to be. Do some authors ever take into account the impact (maybe even the psychology) of choosing names that sound alike when naming their characters, specifically those that share deep a bond...the bit of cynic in me can't help but wonder.
Connie and Frannie sound alike, bud names, comfort names, it clicks immediately in our minds.
I wonder if it the names were Pepita and Sharon, would it click the same way in our minds?

Hey Kris has your editor ever suggested changing any of the names you give your characters?
I wonder how developed are your characters before you give them names? Does the name ever come first?

T

Aqua wrote:
Kris,
I'd love to know how you choose the names of your characters. Connie and Frannie are such authentic, but not too common names for middle-aged women and I like that.
Aqua

Contributor
Aqua
0 Kudos

Questions for the author--ASK HER HERE!

[ Edited ]
Kris,
Aqua

Message Edited by clarepayton on 03-08-200711:05 AM

Contributor
linders01
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for the author--ASK HER HERE!

Kris,

What's your starting point with a new story--the story line? a character? a title? a 'what if' question? I find authors come to their story from different places. Also, on the average, how long does it take you to finish a first draft of a new novel? Thanks.
Frequent Contributor
hicetnunc
0 Kudos

Hey Kris...

Have any of your books been translated into Spanish, either in the states or any Latin American countries?
I would so love to share them with my mother...but she prefers to read in her native language.

T...
who wants everyone to know it was not she that initiated this new thread which seems to indicate 'screaming' beacause of the capital letters. Apparently two of us made a booboo...asking questions under the wrong thread....pounding chest..Mea culpa...
Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

I usually pick a theme - or an issue. All of my books are directly related to what I think are REAL issues women face and so I listen to myself and my friends and all of you and dive into an issue - loss, love, forgiveness, death - all of the issues I have addressed and then the book forms itself around those items. Once I get the first character - the woman who will carry the book - it's like bam....The entire book process takes about a year. I work very closely with my editor so the editing process for me is not long or painful - I just did some edits on the next book and it took me just days because I know what she wants. I spend about half my time writing and about half doing appeareances and book talks and events - A successful author, I think, has to approach part of it like a business and my business is to get out there - get people to know me and my work. Ad oh yes - I have fun on both ends. I love to meet my readers and get up and talk - and I realize not every author is that lucky.

Kris

linders01 wrote:
Kris,

What's your starting point with a new story--the story line? a character? a title? a 'what if' question? I find authors come to their story from different places. Also, on the average, how long does it take you to finish a first draft of a new novel? Thanks.

Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

Not yet but they are working on it...~ I have a publisher in the Netherlands and Sunday List is on tape and several of the books are in large print. I am meeting with a mess of foriegn rights people in New York in late May at the Book Expo....I'll see what I can do for your mom...~!!

Kris

hicetnunc wrote:
Hey Kris...

Have any of your books been translated into Spanish, either in the states or any Latin American countries?
I would so love to share them with my mother...but she prefers to read in her native language.

T...
who wants everyone to know it was not she that initiated this new thread which seems to indicate 'screaming' beacause of the capital letters. Apparently two of us made a booboo...asking questions under the wrong thread....pounding chest..Mea culpa...

Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: books as a business

How true it is that the book publishing world has become a media business. You are blessed with charisma and charm, so you must feel right at home at all your book events. But, yes, it is not really fair to those quiet types that they must now do very public things in order to succeed. Imagine someone like Emily Dickinson going on book tour!
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: Run, Bambi, Run

Kris,
I would love to hear more about this book. How did the project come to you? How did you work with "Bambi?" Where is she today?
hicetnunc
0 Kudos

characters

Kris,

As you breathe life into your characters...Have you ever felt the need to tweak, change any character, while in development, ONLY because the character may share way too many similarities with any particular woman in your intimate circle of friends?

I know the characters are your creation...but, when they begin to come to life, really become alive! Isn't there a time when the character leads the author, instead of the author leading the character?....oh hell I've struggled with a good way to phrase this question...!! hope it makes sense?.

and Madam Radish..The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I would bet my golf clubs...that you'll enjoy his book.

T
Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

Re: Run, Bambi, Run

This was my first book - non-fiction, true crime. I was working as a freelance writer and took an assignment from a magazine, Wisconsin Woman, to do an update on Lawrencia Bembenek. She was comvicted of killing her ex-husbands wife and many of you may have seen the tv movies, crime shows - and if you notice a short-haired young woman who looks like me on A & E or FBI's Most Wanted, City Confidential or on an old Geraldo show - yep, that's me. I did a mess of research on Laurie(Lawrencia changed her name to Laurie) and ended up doing a faily extensive piece on her for the magazine and we remained friends. She escaped from prison and was later captured and well - that's where the book came in. I interviewed her via phone and in prison and traveld to Canada to meet with her a few times. I have not talked to her in a while -she lives in another state and s still working to clear her name. To say the least - it was something.

clarepayton wrote:
Kris,
I would love to hear more about this book. How did the project come to you? How did you work with "Bambi?" Where is she today?

Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

Re: characters

Oh yes - without a doubt. I start out with some basic chacteristics and a personality and then I totally throw the reins to the character back to them and they speak to me.....they really speak to me. Sometimes I tweak a character a little bit and that might also happen during editing but it's not usually because they are like my own O'Brien....it's because the editor thinks this or that will make the story a bit better. The character starts leading me very quickly - and it gets to the point where I don't sleep and eat well and cannot tear myself away from the computer. I love that phase of the writing although the people I live with are not as excited as I am. I love it - just love it when the book starts to swing like that and I also love it when something so unexpected happens that it makes me yell .......well, it is beyond lovely. Okay - I hope you have long clubs - I use men's clubs because I am a tall wench - and I need a little flex. So let me check out this book and we will see what happens.......~!!!!

Kris

hicetnunc wrote:
Kris,

As you breathe life into your characters...Have you ever felt the need to tweak, change any character, while in development, ONLY because the character may share way too many similarities with any particular woman in your intimate circle of friends?

I know the characters are your creation...but, when they begin to come to life, really become alive! Isn't there a time when the character leads the author, instead of the author leading the character?....oh hell I've struggled with a good way to phrase this question...!! hope it makes sense?.

and Madam Radish..The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I would bet my golf clubs...that you'll enjoy his book.

T

Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

You don't have to stop - ask away - I am 360 degrees from shy......

hicetnunc wrote:

T

Aqua wrote:
Kris,
Aqua

Message Edited by clarepayton on 03-08-200711:06 AM

Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

To add to what I said below you should know that I am at the beginning now of Novel #6 - so I am hatching as I go here and it's delightful, scarry, wonderful, maddening and I second guess myself - get up and walk around the house, look out the window and am CONSTANTLY thinking of the new characters- just three so far ........it's something.

Kris

linders01 wrote:
Kris,

Frequent Contributor
hicetnunc
0 Kudos

Hey Kris...

Have you 'hatched' characters which you absolutely fall in love with...they will not leave your brain, but are not quite the right fit for the book you are in the process of writing?. If so..do you hold on to them, knowing that at some point you will find a way to bring them into life in another book?

KrisRadish wrote:
To add to what I said below you should know that I am at the beginning now of Novel #6 - so I am hatching as I go here and it's delightful, scarry, wonderful, maddening and I second guess myself - get up and walk around the house, look out the window and am CONSTANTLY thinking of the new characters- just three so far ........it's something
Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

Oh yes - Right now one of the characters is someone I have been thinking about for a long time because it is how I kind of think of myself in another mess of years. So she has been floating around inside of me and then this remarkable things happens - it's like she says, "Okay, Radish it's my turn - this book needs me."....once I start though, like right now, it is rare to have someone pop in who doesn't belong there. The stragglers usually come in when I am editing or in between books - well, the three seconds in other words when I am not writing....

Kris

hicetnunc wrote:
Hey Kris...

Have you 'hatched' characters which you absolutely fall in love with...they will not leave your brain, but are not quite the right fit for the book you are in the process of writing?. If so..do you hold on to them, knowing that at some point you will find a way to bring them into life in another book?

KrisRadish wrote:
To add to what I said below you should know that I am at the beginning now of Novel #6 - so I am hatching as I go here and it's delightful, scarry, wonderful, maddening and I second guess myself - get up and walk around the house, look out the window and am CONSTANTLY thinking of the new characters- just three so far ........it's something

Contributor
Meems
0 Kudos

You have my permission to use Meems.
Author
KrisRadish
0 Kudos

You read it here folks..........~!!

Kris

Meems wrote:
You have my permission to use Meems.

Contributor
MuvverDawn
0 Kudos

Hi Kris

I remember you saying when I saw you (in Oconomowoc? MKE?) that your dreams will lead you to move away from the Midwest some day. I'm wondering if you think that your new locale will change your characters?

Dawn
Frequent Contributor
hicetnunc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Kris...

Are you one of those fastidious writer/people that cannot stand writing anything dawn unless it is grammatically correct?
I mean during the early stages, hell..Obviously it would have to be correct to be published...lol

I mean when your creative juices are just flowing magnificently and you know it...just exploding out of your mind and you know that you are in that singular moment, that you may never be able to replicate again, as a writer...
Worrying about grammar then would be ....like heck! cutting your mind off in the middle of a fabulously creative orgasm, wouldn't it?

Message Edited by hicetnunc on 03-18-200709:02 AM

Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 332 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: