Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

About the Book & Author

Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan

Title: Last Night at the Lobster

Perched in the far corner of a run-down New England mall, the Red Lobster hasn't been making its numbers and headquarters has pulled the plug. But manager Manny DeLeon still needs to navigate a tricky last shift.

With four shopping days left until Christmas, Manny must convince his near-mutinous staff to hunker down and serve the final onslaught of hungry retirees, lunatics, and holiday office parties. All the while, he's wondering how to handle the waitress he's still in love with, his pregnant girlfriend at home, and where to find the present that will make everything better.

No American novelist loves the dead-end town quite like Stewart O'Nan. In the 15 books that have poured out of him since 1994, he has visited the snowy, forgotten hamlets of upstate New York, and the bombed-out streets of East Liberty, Pittsburgh. He has twice set novels in those most forgotten metropolises, our prisons. Now O'Nan peers into a suburban Connecticut Red Lobster restaurant on the last night of its operation. Who knew an all-you-can-eat shrimp buffet could evoke such mournful, Edward Hopper–ish pathos?

About the Author: Stewart O'Nan is the author of ten novels, including Snow Angels and A Prayer for the Dying, as well as works of nonfiction, including the bestselling book with Stephen King on the Boston Red Sox, Faithful.

Granta named him one of the twenty Best Young American Novelists in 1995. He lives with his family in Avon, Connecticut.

Discover all titles and editions from Stewart O'Nan.

Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book & Author

I just finished this short, but Wonderful novel. The characters are well thought out, the writing is excellent, as I expected since I had read "The Circus Fire" earlier. :smileyhappy:doug
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

dghobbs wrote:
I just finished this short, but Wonderful novel. The characters are well thought out, the writing is excellent, as I expected since I had read "The Circus Fire" earlier. :smileyhappy:doug

I'm glad you liked it. In 140 short pages, he creates in vivid detail an entire world. Pretty impressive.
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

dghobbs wrote:

I'm glad you liked it. In 140 short pages, he creates in vivid detail an entire world. Pretty impressive.

Jessica, Yes the author does amaze us with his ability to create extraordinary characters in a world that he makes easy for us to visualize. And Mr. O'Nan does this in such a short novel - quite an achievement...Doug
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,063 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: