Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Characters

Although the novel is so brief, we get a very close look at the handful of characters that staff this last working shift. Why are each of them here? (The characters actually ask this themselves a couple of times!)

What builds your impressions of them? Who do develop real attachments to and why? For whom do you have mixed feelings?

If there are characters whose actions you dislike, do you still feel you have some understanding of what they've done?
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Characters

rkubie wrote:
Although the novel is so brief, we get a very close look at the handful of characters that staff this last working shift. Why are each of them here? (The characters actually ask this themselves a couple of times!)

What builds your impressions of them? Who do develop real attachments to and why? For whom do you have mixed feelings?

If there are characters whose actions you dislike, do you still feel you have some understanding of what they've done?

I have mixed feelings about Ty the head cook. I can understand the necessity of everything running smoothly and the pressure "on the line". It reminds me of a TV reality show called Hell's Kitchen where the chef can often appear to be brutal in his command of the people on the line. So I know why he dislikes Fredo. Fredo gets it wrong most of the time.But calling him "Frito" and going at him relentlessly can certainly cause the revenge reaction of Fredo. At least he did not return and shoot them. We have sadly seen in our society how people constantly teased take revenge in schools. And sadly there have also been too many workplace shootings.So Fredo's revenge , although wrong, was kind of mild.
Librarian 
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Re: Characters

I felt I recognized Ty right away--the efficient, braggart, bullying kitchen staff, proud of how hard they can work in the blistering heat and pressure, but very hard on the people around them. I found it interesting that Manny relates to Fredo and wants to give him a chance and a bit of training for real work--but it must have been impossible to work next to Ty! A person quick to call out your mistakes and probably never gives a compliment.

Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 216 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: