Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Jacquie

Why did Manny fall for her? What are your impressions of her? Do you feel you understand her choices? Do you think Manny understands her?
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Jacquie

[ Edited ]

rkubie wrote:
Why did Manny fall for her? What are your impressions of her? Do you feel you understand her choices? Do you think Manny understands her?

I think Manny thinks Jacquie made him feel better about himself. She's very interesting. I can't figure out why Jacquie would now be with a boyfriend like Rodney.  He has a temper----From page 25 "He's been kicked out of a couple semipro leagues because of his temper". That doesn't seem to fit in with Jacquie's persona in The Lobster that she would have a boyfriend with a temper.
      This passage is also telling about Rodney and Manny and makes me wonder about Jacquie's motives for picking  her men.-----p.26 "From what  little she's told him, Manny knows he takes whatever under-the -table jobs he can get because he's not legal, and worries that once Jacquie gets her degree she'll drop him for someone educated. He's asked her to marry him, out of desperation, she thinks. Manny can identify. As humiliated as that half wave made him feel, mostly he was just grateful she showed up. He's okay as long as she's near him, as pathetic as that sounds. In a strange way, he and Rodney are brothers, both of them at her mercy."
Librarian

Message Edited by Librarian on 03-11-2008 12:24 PM
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

Re: Jacquie

I think Jacquie is picking her men based on chemistry. Maybe, even convenience. She's not looking for something permanent. So if she's attracted to a man and interested enough, she engages in a relationship. She's not looking for commitment and ties at this time in her life. The author doesn't really give many clues as to her age. Obviously we know she is a college student--but being a college student doesn't pin down an age anymore. I think, maybe, she's more of "modern young woman" who is preparing herself for a career and to be self-sufficient--more interested in her education and subsequent career than she is marriage and motherhood until she establishes herself as her own person (or meets someone that she really wants to commit to while still pursuing her own goals).
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 501 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: