Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Manny

How would you describe MannIy's character? Is he the backbone of the work ethic in America? The man who shows up until the last day and does his absolute best? Or does his infidelity, pot-smoking and poor foresight speak against that?

What are your hopes for him? Do you grow attached to him and  to how things might turn out for him?
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Re: Manny

rkubie wrote:
How would you describe MannIy's character? Is he the backbone of the work ethic in America? The man who shows up until the last day and does his absolute best? Or does his infidelity, pot-smoking and poor foresight speak against that?

What are your hopes for him? Do you grow attached to him and  to how things might turn out for him?

I like Manny in his work life. He does his job superbly and certainly has a good work ethic. But  I feel he made a mess in his personal relationships. Deena isn't the only one responsible for the baby. But I'm wondering if the relationship will work if he is going to Deena just out of obligation and, if so, is he really doing her any favors. Also, I don't think Jackie would take him at this point. I find myself wanting to like him even though I am upset over what he did to both Deena and Jackie by his indiscretions.
Librarian

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I agree with you that Manny is better in his work life than in his personal.  I'm not crazy about him as a person.  I think he sees Jacquie through rose-colored glasses.  She's the epitome of what he wants - she represent life, energy, fun, and the gold ring.  To Manny, Jacquie is the fantasy, the adventure.  But, he's not an adventurer.  The very thing that attracts him to Jacquie is why they can't be together. 

I too feel badly for Deena.  I hope he wakes up from his stupor and behaves like an adult when it comes to her and their baby.  As you say, Deena didn't get this way by herself.  He has to finally let go of Jacquie and what she represents and accept where his choices have lead him.

Librarian wrote:

I like Manny in his work life. He does his job superbly and certainly has a good work ethic. But  I feel he made a mess in his personal relationships. Deena isn't the only one responsible for the baby. But I'm wondering if the relationship will work if he is going to Deena just out of obligation and, if so, is he really doing her any favors. Also, I don't think Jackie would take him at this point. I find myself wanting to like him even though I am upset over what he did to both Deena and Jackie by his indiscretions.
Librarian

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Oh, I love Manny. He's flawed, but he's honest with himself which is very hard to do. It's difficult to face up to your sadness and the points at which you have no power over your life. It's hard to watch your dreams die and still make it through the day. Even though he may not love Deena or want a family right now, he'll do the right thing. After all, what other choice does he have? Jacquie doesn't want him.

So he ends up living a life of quiet desperation. I think Manny has what it takes to suck it up and plod along, pay the bills, mow the lawn, and give the baby anything he/she needs. I'm willing to bet that along the way, he'll come to terms with his life and find happiness. To me, this is why Manny is so realistic as a character.

Didn't anyone love Manny? I really wanted to buy him a drink!  :womansad:

LizzieAnn wrote:
I agree with you that Manny is better in his work life than in his personal.  I'm not crazy about him as a person.  I think he sees Jacquie through rose-colored glasses.  She's the epitome of what he wants - she represent life, energy, fun, and the gold ring.  To Manny, Jacquie is the fantasy, the adventure.  But, he's not an adventurer.  The very thing that attracts him to Jacquie is why they can't be together. 

I too feel badly for Deena.  I hope he wakes up from his stupor and behaves like an adult when it comes to her and their baby.  As you say, Deena didn't get this way by herself.  He has to finally let go of Jacquie and what she represents and accept where his choices have lead him.

Librarian wrote:

Librarian

New User
malinpgh
0 Kudos

I liked Manny a lot and I think O'Nan wrote him in such a way that despite Manny's flaws he has some qualities that one cannot resist. His work ethic, his attention to each member of his staff, his tender spot for the most vulnerable of his employees - he's just the kind of guy that many women would find appealing if for no other reason than to be his cheerleader.

Re Librarian's observation about Manny going to Deena only because Jacquie rejected him - I think it's pretty common that couples end up together because one or the other or both _didn't_ have their first choice of mates, and I don't think that necessarily bodes poorly for the relationship. Jacquie does not seem right for Manny - she doesn't care enough about him to make it work - and I think he would ultimately be disappointed.
Frequent Contributor
LucyintheOC
0 Kudos

I've just started the book, so I don't yet have the perspective that everyone else seems to already have regarding Manny. But I wanted to add a comment even though I'm not that far along in the book with respect to how he manages his life and the choices he's made/making. From the little I've read and from the comments posted about him, what comes to mind is that I think Manny is typical of a lot of people -- they manage/function efficiently and make good choices, have good judgement (for the most part) in their work lives, but for whatever reasons, their personal lives are another story. The author has also made him very likealble, dispite his flaws. I think this makes him a lot like most of the rest of us. Also, as many of us may have experienced--just because someone is a nice person doesn't make them a good relationship candidate. From the posted comments and the little I've read, it seems like this may be Manny at this point in his life.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Re: Manny - displaced love

I realized something about Manny I couldn't put my finger on until recently. I think he takes such care in his work because he has nowhere else to place this affection. And it's not ironic or condescending. Just simple and sad.

Anyone else agree?
Inspired Correspondent
Librarian
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
I realized something about Manny I couldn't put my finger on until recently. I think he takes such care in his work because he has nowhere else to place this affection. And it's not ironic or condescending. Just simple and sad.

Anyone else agree?

I think Manny tries for the perfect in everything. He does well in his job because he knows what being a good manager is. I think he does place his affection in relationships too---especially he did with Jacquie---but he just doesn't do well in his individual relationships.
Librarian
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Jessica,

I love that thought about Manny.

And I agree that he does seem affectionate to Jacquie, but certainly not in the small glimpse we are allowed of his relationship with Deena? The most affection I felt (that I can think of just now) was in his twinge of guilt over not having looked into her car problems--a kind of assumption he has of himself that he would have taken care of something like this.

Maybe human relationships are simply too complicated, too multi-faceted, and as hectic as the restaurant is, it comes with checklists!
Frequent Contributor
dghobbs
0 Kudos

Librarian wrote:

rkubie wrote:
What are your hopes for him? Do you grow attached to him and to how things might turn out for him?

I like Manny in his work life. He does his job superbly and certainly has a good work ethic. But I feel he made a mess in his personal relationships. Deena isn't the only one responsible for the baby. But I'm wondering if the relationship will work if he is going to Deena just out of obligation and, if so, is he really doing her any favors. Also, I don't think Jackie would take him at this point. I find myself wanting to like him even though I am upset over what he did to both Deena and Jackie by his indiscretions.
Librarian

I couldn't agree more with your analysis of Manny - thank you, Doug
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 1,002 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: