Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

MissMandy wrote:

I went to the bookstore today on my lunchbreak and bought the book and read the first chapter in my car! I really cannot wait to keep reading!

yeah but were you driving while you read it in your car?? lol , j/k, couldnt resist given the first chapter of the book. :smileywink:

Miss Mandy; don't mind Miss Viv! I bet she reads driving herself. hehehe

My uncle used to do that! When I was a teenager I rode with him while he was driving on an expressway and reading a book. It scared the crap out of me! :smileysurprised: I'll have to ask him if he still does that and yell at him if he says yes.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself: Beautiful cover

[ Edited ]

kiakar wrote:

IBIS wrote:
Actually, I liked the cover very much. That amazingly lush blonde hair echoed the golden Kansas field in the background. It was a very sunny picture. It telegraphed optimism to me. My first thought was... this girl's head looks to bright, and hopeful, and lovely.

I liked the picture on the cover also. But from the start, I have believed this is Kara.

I like the cover too and the colors are very attractive. I wonder if it was intentional for the girls hair to so closely match the color of the field? Even her clothing is a similar color. It makes her get lost in the field. Is that a message? I guess we all put our own interpretation to what we see anyway. It's fun to hear all of the opinions in these discussions. It makes it even more interesting having the authors here to explain what really happens behind the scenes.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 10-03-2007 02:30 AM
Contributor
MissMandy
0 Kudos

That's funny! Guess I should have worded it better :smileyhappy: I was actually sitting in the parking lot at my job and clocked in 8 minutes late! Oh well :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

MissMandy wrote:
That's funny! Guess I should have worded it better :smileyhappy: I was actually sitting in the parking lot at my job and clocked in 8 minutes late! Oh well :smileyhappy:

Don't mind us MissMandy, we just like to cut up once in a while. So join us. ha.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

MissMandy wrote:

I went to the bookstore today on my lunchbreak and bought the book and read the first chapter in my car! I really cannot wait to keep reading!

yeah but were you driving while you read it in your car?? lol , j/k, couldnt resist given the first chapter of the book. :smileywink:

Miss Mandy; don't mind Miss Viv! I bet she reads driving herself. hehehe

My uncle used to do that! When I was a teenager I rode with him while he was driving on an expressway and reading a book. It scared the crap out of me! :smileysurprised: I'll have to ask him if he still does that and yell at him if he says yes.

And you are still here with us! Wow! How many pages did he finish while he was driving?
Miss Wrighty, You are a miracle to be with us!
New User
robincl
0 Kudos

Hello;

My name is Robin. I am mom to five children ages 20, 15, 12, 10 and 7. I am also launching a new career at home. I love to read, but have limited time. If a book does not grab me I usually don't stay with it. I started "The Rest of Her Life" last night and can't put it down! The characters are fascinating and so believable!
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

suetu wrote:
Hi,

I'm Susan, a freelance editor and graduate school administrator in San Francisco. I'm the mother of a 15-year-old cat named Weasel. He doesn't drive. I've only been around these boards for a few months, but already I know a couple of you. Good to see you!

I picked up a couple galleys of this book at BEA. The back jacket copy (on the promotional galley) is TERRIBLE. Nonetheless, when it started circulating around the local book club I run in SF, it was getting RAVE reviews from everyone who read it. Now it's back in my hands, and I look forward to digging in as soon as I can. I'll be reading it and The Monsters of Templeton--which should be an interesting juxtaposition. :smileyhappy:

Hi again Susan. Hey, this is a good book, so hope you enjoy it too. What was on the back of the first one you got ?? You cant drop that line and not explain :smileywink:

Hi Viv,

Sorry, took a day off yesterday. I'll post the back jacket copy from my galley below. The reason I didn't like it was that after reading it, I had absolutely NO IDEA what the novel was about. Consequently, I had little interest in reading it until the pre-readers I farm my galleys out to started coming back with consistent raves.

Here's the text:

Acclaimed author Laura Moriarty returns with a novel of complex moral dilemma, filled with nuanced characters and a page-turning plot that makes readers ask themselves, "What would I do?"

With the publication of her first novel, The Center of Everything, Laura Moriarty was praised for her keen insights into the human condition, the wisdom of her characters, and her poignant and clear-sighted prose. With The Rest of Her Life, Moriarty's reputation as a novelist to watch is cemented, as she delivers a luminous, provacative, and ultimately redemptive look at how even mothers and daughters with the best intentions can be blind to the harm they do one another.
Susan
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hi Viv,

Sorry, took a day off yesterday. I'll post the back jacket copy from my galley below. The reason I didn't like it was that after reading it, I had absolutely NO IDEA what the novel was about. Consequently, I had little interest in reading it until the pre-readers I farm my galleys out to started coming back with consistent raves.

Here's the text:

Acclaimed author Laura Moriarty returns with a novel of complex moral dilemma, filled with nuanced characters and a page-turning plot that makes readers ask themselves, "What would I do?"

With the publication of her first novel, The Center of Everything, Laura Moriarty was praised for her keen insights into the human condition, the wisdom of her characters, and her poignant and clear-sighted prose. With The Rest of Her Life, Moriarty's reputation as a novelist to watch is cemented, as she delivers a luminous, provacative, and ultimately redemptive look at how even mothers and daughters with the best intentions can be blind to the harm they do one another.

yeah, I think I like the back of the book as it is now better too then. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

suetu wrote:

The reason I didn't like it was that after reading it, I had absolutely NO IDEA what the novel was about.

yeah, I think I like the back of the book as it is now better too then. :smileywink:

You're right, that doesn't tell you anything about the story. It's a good thing you read it anyway.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

suetu wrote:
Hi,

I'm Susan, a freelance editor and graduate school administrator in San Francisco. I'm the mother of a 15-year-old cat named Weasel. He doesn't drive. I've only been around these boards for a few months, but already I know a couple of you. Good to see you!

I picked up a couple galleys of this book at BEA. The back jacket copy (on the promotional galley) is TERRIBLE. Nonetheless, when it started circulating around the local book club I run in SF, it was getting RAVE reviews from everyone who read it. Now it's back in my hands, and I look forward to digging in as soon as I can. I'll be reading it and The Monsters of Templeton--which should be an interesting juxtaposition. :smileyhappy:

Hi again Susan. Hey, this is a good book, so hope you enjoy it too. What was on the back of the first one you got ?? You cant drop that line and not explain :smileywink:

Hi Viv,

Here's the text:

Hi Susan, Welcome to our humble reading class. And I am so glad that Weasel doesn't drive yet. Let it be in another lifetime. ha. Happy reading to us all.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm the yankee from Illinois, Cindersue. I'm only on page 43, but can hardly wait to finish the book. I have 4 kids, all driving age. One big worry is that they will hit someone or something while not paying attention. My son has had two near death accidents, and that was scary enough. Look forward to visiting with all of you, especially my reading buddies from past books. :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Hi, I'm the yankee from Illinois, Cindersue. I'm only on page 43, but can hardly wait to finish the book. I have 4 kids, all driving age. One big worry is that they will hit someone or something while not paying attention. My son has had two near death accidents, and that was scary enough. Look forward to visiting with all of you, especially my reading buddies from past books. :smileywink:

Hi, Cindy

You finally made it! Good! We miss you when you are not around! ha. We really do!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Hi, Cindy

You finally made it! Good! We miss you when you are not around! ha. We really do!

Glad to be missed! I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing the book, Linda! :smileywink:
New User
driscully
0 Kudos

Hello!
I'm Adriana, 23, live in São Paulo/Brazil!
I am nurse, but now I make a course of nurse-midwive!
I love read all books!
Ohh I love read english book :smileyvery-happy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to see you again, Cindy, and Adriana - it's a pleasure to have you here.

It's always terrific to have returning members and new readers in the groups.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Thanks, Stephanie! I'm only on chapter 4, so I'm trying to catch up. Looking forward to our discussions. :smileywink:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Cindy,

I can't wait to hear your (and the group's) take on what's yet to come- the whole story had me on an emotional roller coaster!
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Cindy,

I can't wait to hear your (and the group's) take on what's yet to come- the whole story had me on an emotional roller coaster!

You are right, Stephanie, it surely was intensed! But a great great read!
Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Starting late

Probably while most people are finishing up- though the posts seem to be mostly in the middle. I am a fast reader though, so may get to join some discussions.

My name is Bonnie and I work with students in public schools in a small county. We lose children from our high schools every year it seems- usually through speed, sometimes alcohol, often over-correcting on curves and hitting cars or trees on the other side of the road (we live in a foothill/mt. part of the country. I also have young adult and teenage children of my own. One of my kids was the driver in an accident where his friend was in the back of his truck and did get hurt badly- he is well now- several years ago. That is what drew me to this book, although I have many more I am "in process" with.

I am looking forward to any discussions left this late in the month.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Starting late

Hi Bonnie, like you, many of us have teenagers who drive. The story resonated with many mothers whose children have been in car accidents. Some of the personal stories posted in this thread are very moving.

It occurred to me that it would have been very intriguing to hear from teenagers themselves. How they would talk about their experience, and about themselves.

What makes this story so interesting was, although we see it from Leigh's point of view, we do get to see how this accident touches almost everyone in the town. Like a pebble thrown into a pond, the ripples touch not only Kara and her family, but expands to include the victim's mother, Kara's friends, and eventually, the entire community of Danby.

It was interesting to witness how the accident changed not only the rest of Kara's life, her mother Leigh's as well.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 226 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: