Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Recommended Reading

[ Edited ]
Laura Moriarty's Debut

The Center of Everything
Laura Moriarty
In Laura Moriarty's extraordinary first novel, a young girl tries to make sense of an unruly world spinning around her. Growing up with a single mother who is chronically out of work and dating a married man, 10-year old Evelyn Bucknow learns early how to fend for herself. Offering an affecting portrayal of a troubled mother/daughter relationship, one in which the daughter is very often expected to play the role of the adult, the novel also gives readers a searing rendering of the claustrophobia of small town midwestern life, as seen through the eyes of a teenage girl. Evelyn must come to terms with the heartbreaking lesson of first love -- that not all loves are meant to be -- and determine who she is and who she wants to be.

Additional Recommended Reading

A Map of the World
Jane Hamilton
Alice Goodwin lives on a farm in Wisconsin with her husband and daughters and works part-time at the local school as a nurse. When a friend and neighbor leaves her two-year-old daughter in Alice's care, a moment's inattention leads to the child's death. This singularly tragic event triggers a series of other occurrences that will rock the tiny community where Alice lives and undermine everything Alice holds dear. A Map of the World is a story of trials -- legal and personal -- and the triumph of the human spirit over the worst of adversities.

The Almost Moon
Alice Sebold
"When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily." So begins The Almost Moon, Alice Sebold's astonishing, brilliant, and daring new novel. For years Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her haunted mother, to her enigmatic father, to her husband and now grown children. When she finally crosses a terrible boundary, her life comes rushing in at her in a way she never could have imagined. Unfolding over the next twenty-four hours, this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers; the meaning of devotion; and the line between love and hate. It is a challenging, moving, gripping story, written with the fluidity and strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page.

Nineteen Minutes
Jodi Picoult
Jodi Picoult refuses to tiptoe around volatile issues. Nineteen Minutes recounts a deadly high school shooting rampage, its causes, and its aftermath. In flashbacks, we witness the deepening alienation of teen killer Peter Houghton, a helpless victim who sinks steadily into the execution mode of his combat video games. Standing in literal judgment over this teen killer is Alex Cormier, the judge who presides over his trial. Cormier struggles hard to balance her professional duties with her relationship with her daughter, Josie, a former friend of Houghton's and a survivor of the mass slaying.

The World Below
Sue Miller
Maine, 1919. Georgia Rice, who has cared for her father and two siblings since her mother's death, is diagnosed, at nineteen, with tuberculosis and sent away to a sanitarium. Freed from the burdens of caretaking, she discovers a nearly lost world of youth and possibility; and meets the doomed young man who will become her lover. Vermont, the present. On the heels of a divorce, Catherine Hubbard, Georgia's granddaughter, takes up residence in Georgia's old house. Sorting through her own affairs, Cath stumbles upon the true story of Georgia's life and marriage, and of the misunderstanding upon which she built a lasting love.

Life on the Refrigerator Door
Alice Kuipers
Claire and her mother are running out of time, but they don't know it. Claire is wrapped up with the difficulties of her bourgeoning adulthood; Claire's mother, a single mom, is rushed off her feet both at work and at home. They rarely find themselves in the same room at the same time, and it often seems that the only thing they can count on are notes to each other on the refrigerator door. When home is threatened by a crisis, their relationship experiences a momentous change. Life on the Refrigerator Door is a glimpse into the lives of mothers and daughters everywhere. In this deeply touching novel told through a series of notes written from a loving mother and her devoted daughter, Alice Kuipers deftly captures the impenetrable fabric that connects mothers and daughters throughout the world.

Message Edited by Jessica on 09-27-2007 04:05 PM

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended Reading

Has anyone read the "life on the refrigerator Door."? That sounds like a wonderful book by the little exerpt it shows. I have read all the others except this one and the "almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. That sounds good also. I have read something by Alice Sebold but can't think of what it is, now. Oh my! my awful "oldtimers memory".
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

I had a chance to read an advance copy of Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon and it blew me away! It's brilliant! A true literary page-turner that I absolutely couldn't put down. Very disturbing subject matter (matricide), like everything else she writes. I predict a monster bestseller, FWIW.
Susan
0 Kudos

suetu wrote:
I had a chance to read an advance copy of Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon and it blew me away! It's brilliant! A true literary page-turner that I absolutely couldn't put down. Very disturbing subject matter (matricide), like everything else she writes. I predict a monster bestseller, FWIW.

Ok Susan, two questions...1.how are you getting all these advance copies of books! and 2. what is FWIW???? lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
Has anyone read the "life on the refrigerator Door."? That sounds like a wonderful book by the little exerpt it shows. I have read all the others except this one and the "almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. That sounds good also. I have read something by Alice Sebold but can't think of what it is, now. Oh my! my awful "oldtimers memory".

I've never heard of that one but I'll have to check it out. Was it The Lovely Bones that you read by her?
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

suetu wrote:

Ok Susan, two questions...1.how are you getting all these advance copies of books! and 2. what is FWIW???? lol

Yeah Susan how do you get those? I think you told us about it before but I don't remember. I'm glad to hear you liked that book. I've read some previews about it and it sounds pretty intense.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:

I've never heard of that one but I'll have to check it out. Was it The Lovely Bones that you read by her?

Yes, Wrighty, that is why her name sounds so familiar. I believe she did write Lovely Bones
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

suetu wrote:

Yeah Susan how do you get those? I think you told us about it before but I don't remember. I'm glad to hear you liked that book. I've read some previews about it and it sounds pretty intense.

I'm very fortunate. Because I'm a total book geek, I have many different ties to the publishing world. You'll recall that I'm a freelance editor? I pick up a lot of galleys at publishing trade shows (for the trade only) such as BEA (BookExpo America) or NCIBA, the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association fall regional show--which is this weekend, actually. Plus, I have many other contacts through booksellers, reviewers, authors, etc. Sometimes publishers just send a copy, either because I requested it or sometimes because I run a large book group in SF and they want me to promote their title. And sometimes I actually worked on a novel before it was published. :smileywink:

So, I'm never hurting for literature, and I like to share the wealth. Hence the reference to Bookcrossing in my signature.

Oh, and FWIW stands for: for what it's worth, LOL.
Susan
0 Kudos

Alice Seybolds THE ALMOST MOON will be a November's B&N reading. From the blurbs, it sounds intriguing. I loved her LOVELY BONES, and am excited to read her next book.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
suetu
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Alice Seybolds THE ALMOST MOON will be a November's B&N reading. From the blurbs, it sounds intriguing. I loved her LOVELY BONES, and am excited to read her next book.

Excellent. It's a novel really worthy of discussion. I think it blows Lovely Bones out of the water, personally.

Now, since we're in the Recommended Reading thread, I want to ask if any of you guys have read another book that The Rest of Her Life is really bringing to mind. Did anyone else read We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver? It's another novel about a mother dealing with the aftermath of a crime their teenage child has committed. Very, very different situation than this novel, but my head keeps going back to that other novel.
Susan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

suetu wrote:

IBIS wrote:

Excellent. It's a novel really worthy of discussion. I think it blows Lovely Bones out of the water, personally.

Now, since we're in the Recommended Reading thread, I want to ask if any of you guys have read another book that The Rest of Her Life is really bringing to mind. Did anyone else read We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver? It's another novel about a mother dealing with the aftermath of a crime their teenage child has committed. Very, very different situation than this novel, but my head keeps going back to that other novel.

Suetu, it's good to hear you enjoyed the Sebold book. I'm anxious to read it but don't know if I'll be able to do it for November. The Schriver book sounds good too. I looked it up here to find out more about it and it sounds very intense. I can see why the two books remind you of each other. They are such overwhelming incidents in young teenagers lives.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 10-10-2007 02:04 AM
Contributor
Debbie0108
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Debbie Diamond and I will order The Center of Everything and see how this book flows. But if you get a change, look at my book on Barnes & Nobles Website "Someone Special For Me" and check it out. I think you may enjoy this. If you do decide to read it, please give me your recommendation or look on my website at freewebs.com/someonespecial0801

Thanks
Debbie Diamond - Author of "Someone Special For Me"
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 617 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: