Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from Lauren Willig

Hi, Raven!
Thank goodness for nice libraries-- there are so many books I would never have gotten my hands on but for miracle-working librarians who acquired books for me or directed me to others I hadn't been aware existed (like Anne Marie Selinko's "Desiree," the faux diary of Napoleon's first love). I'm so glad you're enjoying the books!
Lauren

Vinh wrote:
I am really enjoying your series, especially the Emerald Ring. I have a wonderful library who doesn't mind when I pester them about acquiring certain books so that I can read them.

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

LaurenWillig wrote:
especially those Cadbury chocolate machines at the Tube stops (why can't we start importing a few of those over to the States?).

Nothing beats a Cadbury Crunchie Bar! Jo
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Lauren

[ Edited ]

LaurenWillig wrote: When a good friend got married that spring, the post-party to the rehearsal dinner was held at a bar called Robert Emmett's.

"Do you know who that is?" I babbled, clutching a friend's arm and waving wildly at the picture of Emmett, dapper in white cravat and black frock coat, creaking in the May breeze. "Do you know what this means! It's a sign!"

"Yeah," he mumbled, maneuvering me into the bar, "that you need another drink."

LOL, Lauren, it's good that he didn't mean the opposite, that you already had too much to drink ;-)

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-08-200711:08 PM

Contributor
SaraleeE
0 Kudos

Hi, Lauren!

I got The Emerald Ring for Xmas, and just finished it last night! I enjoyed it the most of the series--Letty was such a sympathetic heroine.

I heard about your first book at a website that reviewed new historical romance novels, and snapped it right up. I've had fun reading each book.

I like the way the current-day storyline is mixed in with the historical story, because it makes everything more suspenseful.

Saralee
New User
jillymk
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren and everyone!

Sorry I am a bit late in the game, but I will catch up quick! I picked up "The Secret History of the Pink Carnation" on a whim, but I was absolutely enthralled from page one! I love how many different generes are mixed in and how the characters are so easy to relate to- even the ones that are not from our time period! I have aspiratons to write a book one day- these books definately fit into my menagerie of "Books to Learn From"!
Frequent Contributor
politikgirl
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren! I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Emerald Ring. It was a great read, particularly over the Christmas break, which is when I read it, but I can't pick favourites among your three books. I love them all. I'm really looking forward to Book IV (and the rest of the books in the series). Do you have any plans to write novels outside of the Carnation series?
RBB
New User
RBB
0 Kudos

Hello Lauren,

My name is Richard.
I enjoyed your book, "The Pink Carnation"
I noticed several similarities in your writing style, and vocabulary, and Baroness Orczy -- whom I have read every book.
Did Orczy have any influence on you?
I think that Percy is one of the most entertaining characters since D'Artagnan.
I also noticed that both you and the Baroness use the word, "zounds" frequently ... is this from reading "The Scarlett Pimpernel"?

Thank you for your time.

Richard
Contributor
SoniaW
0 Kudos

Re: A note from Lauren Willig

I would have soooooooooooooooooo loved to be your student! Dang it...should have applied to Harvard instead of Wellesley!
Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, Sonia! By weird coincidence, one of my very closest grad school friends (who likes to claim that she IS Eloise) is teaching at Wellesley this term. She and I TA'd a Western Civ class together years ago, where we learned the fundamental principle of good teaching: thou shalt bake thy students cookies. (Western Civ was one of those core courses no one wants to take, so we were getting a little desperate by then-- we also tried historical Jeopardy, complete with buzzers, and dramatic reenactments of Henry IV crawling on his knees to Canossa).

SoniaW wrote:
I would have soooooooooooooooooo loved to be your student! Dang it...should have applied to Harvard instead of Wellesley!

Reader
beckwith_usa
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren,

I read the last 100 pages of "Emerald" at Pete's Coffee House in Wellesley! What a small world. My daughter is a student at Walnut Hill in Natick, and I find Pete's a great place to hang out while I'm waiting for her to finish her ballet classes!

Michelle B.
Contributor
SoniaW
0 Kudos

LaurenWillig wrote:
Hi, Sonia! By weird coincidence, one of my very closest grad school friends (who likes to claim that she IS Eloise) is teaching at Wellesley this term. She and I TA'd a Western Civ class together years ago, where we learned the fundamental principle of good teaching: thou shalt bake thy students cookies. (Western Civ was one of those core courses no one wants to take, so we were getting a little desperate by then-- we also tried historical Jeopardy, complete with buzzers, and dramatic reenactments of Henry IV crawling on his knees to Canossa).

SoniaW wrote:

That is a little weird! Is it ok to ask you who she is and what she teaches? Somehow, I managed to not get any female history professors this year. That class you taught sounds interesting, I was actually going to take a Western Civ class until the professor decided that he was sabbatical.
New User
TruRomantic
0 Kudos

Lauren!
I absolutely love this entire series. I think it's great that you can keep previous main characters invloved in the stories, i wish that i could do the same!!
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 575 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: