Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

A note from Lauren Willig

[ Edited ]
Gentle Reader,

The seeds for The Deception of the Emerald Ring were planted five years ago, in the miserable cold of a Cambridge winter. At the time, I was an overeager third year grad student, teaching a class on the Second British Empire (1783-1945), desperately trying to stay one step ahead of my students, all of whom seemed to know more about Ireland and India than I did. As I burned the midnight oil, reading up on rebellions and revolutions, murders and mutinies, I came upon one of Ireland's lesser-known risings: the tale of Robert Emmett and the Irish Rising of 1803. I knew, then and there, that it had to form the backbone of my third book.

The Irish Rebellion had it all: hidden identities, smoky taverns, dark alleyways, secret negotiations with the French, smuggled explosives. Admittedly, at that point, I still hadn't even finished my first book and I had no idea when-- if ever-- I was going to make it all the way to a third, but the Irish Rebellion was just too perfect to pass by. Fate appeared to agree. When a good friend got married that spring, the post-party to the rehearsal dinner was held at a bar called Robert Emmett's.

"Do you know who that is?" I babbled, clutching a friend's arm and waving wildly at the picture of Emmett, dapper in white cravat and black frock coat, creaking in the May breeze. "Do you know what this means! It's a sign!"

"Yeah," he mumbled, maneuvering me into the bar, "that you need another drink."

Despite the naysayings of inebriated groomsmen, Emmett's omen proved true.
The desperate intrigues that led up to the abortive July rebellion provided the perfect opportunity to play with issues of identity and belonging, the juxtaposition of grand political affairs and small personal dramas, and, of course, men in knee breeches. I could babble on for ages about the book… but we have a whole month for that, so, for now, thank you for joining me here. I can't tell you how excited I am that we're all here, discussing Emerald Ring!

Yours,

Lauren

Message Edited by clarepayton on 01-29-200711:34 AM

Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from Lauren Willig

Hi Lauren, I am looking forward to reading your book. It will take me out of my normal reading zone (anything set in the 1900's to present day), but I do love a good mystery. I look forward to discussions with the other readers and you. It's so nice to have the author participating.

Ann
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Lauren,
Is this a stand alone or part of a series? It sounds intriquing. Jo
Contributor
ozdiamondlil
0 Kudos

I am so pleased that you will be discussing this book here with us. I've read the first two books in the series and really, really enjoyed them. I am very much looking forward to Emerald Ring.
New User
MJY14
0 Kudos

I was extremely fortunate to stumble past The Pink Carnation on the sales rack at B&N RIGHT AFTER FINALS. That's fate. When I could take the time to enjoy a great book I found one (then a second and a third). I can't wait to see what you will give us next.
New User
MJY14
0 Kudos

Do you plan writing a book on Richard and Henretta's parents? Lady Uppington is so feisty and strong. I would love to hear more.
New User
Times-n-Latte
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren!

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed "Pink Carnation." It was such a fun read! I just picked up a copy of "Black Tulip," and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, Jo! This is the third in the Pink Carnation series (the first is "The Secret History of the Pink Carnation", and the second is "The Masque of the Black Tulip"), but I've tried to make sure they're self-contained enough that they can be read independently.
Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, Ann! I hope you enjoy "Emerald Ring." Starting with the early 19th century seems a good way to ease slowly back in time.... I love a good mystery, too! My absolute favorites are Elizabeth Peters' books (especially the Vicky Bliss series).
Lauren

AnnMar wrote:
Hi Lauren, I am looking forward to reading your book. It will take me out of my normal reading zone (anything set in the 1900's to present day), but I do love a good mystery. I look forward to discussions with the other readers and you. It's so nice to have the author participating.

Ann

Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ozdiamondlil! I'm so glad you liked the first two books-- and I'm looking forward to chatting about this one with you!
Lauren

ozdiamondlil wrote:
I am so pleased that you will be discussing this book here with us. I've read the first two books in the series and really, really enjoyed them. I am very much looking forward to Emerald Ring.

Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, MJY! Don't you love the Good Post-Finals Fairy? Or maybe it's the Good B&N Book Bin Fairy.... They must be in cahoots. Either way, that's the way I discovered some of my favorites, too, like Clare Naylor's "Love: A User's Guide," which ever-so-happily surfaced on the bargain table right after finals my first year of grad school. Such a happy feeling being able to read fiction guilt free once you've gotten through that finals panic period!
Lauren
p.s. I hope the finals went well!

MJY14 wrote:
I was extremely fortunate to stumble past The Pink Carnation on the sales rack at B&N RIGHT AFTER FINALS. That's fate. When I could take the time to enjoy a great book I found one (then a second and a third). I can't wait to see what you will give us next.

Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, again! You've found me out... I do have vague schemes to write a prequel about Lord and Lady Uppington. The mid-eighteenth century, early in the reign of George III, is one of my very favorite time periods. And I'm convinced that Lord and Lady Uppington's courtship was something quite out of the ordinary....
Lauren

MJY14 wrote:
Do you plan writing a book on Richard and Henretta's parents? Lady Uppington is so feisty and strong. I would love to hear more.

Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Thank you, Times-n-Latte! (Love the name, by the way). I hope you enjoy "Black Tulip" too!
Lauren

Times-n-Latte wrote:
Hi Lauren!

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed "Pink Carnation." It was such a fun read! I just picked up a copy of "Black Tulip," and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Reader
beckwith_usa
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren,

After exhausting the "Josephine B." series, I stumbled upon your wonderful historical fiction collection. As a former expat in the "Circle Line" I especially loved your references to London and Scotland. My book club members are intrigued by my consumption of your writing, and your series is now an official pick for 2007. Would you consider throwing in some more architectural references into your next novel? (My interior design 3 final project was put on perma-hold while I finished Emerald!) Great stuff!!
Best,
Michelle
Contributor
MacNCheese
0 Kudos

I can honestly say I have not read a book by you. I was interested in the book clubs and when I came across your book it seemed so interesting that I had to join. I am excited to read your book and hear your commmentary, what better way to understand a book than to get explanations first hand. I should have joined sooner and from what I am reading I am wishing I found your books sooner! Thank You for your time!
New User
Vinh
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying your series, especially the Emerald Ring. I have a wonderful library who doesn't mind when I pester them about acquiring certain books so that I can read them.
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Author! Author!

Welcome, Lauren, to our book club. We are so pleased to have you join us. I see you are already sharing great stories and insights. Thank you so much for jumping in. We look forward to going full speed starting on Monday (giving everyone a chance to find their books and settle in).

Happy New Year!
MaryKay
0 Kudos

Hi, Lauren,

I am excited about an online bookclub. The fact that I just finished the book makes it even better--no deadlines!!

I have to say, after reading your bio, you are my new time management guru. How in the world have you been to law school, graduated with honors, have a job as an associate in a firm that is probably dumping things on your desk 5 minutes after they should have been done, working on your PhD, AND writing books? I did the law school thing, practiced law for a few minutes, now have 3 children who--thankfully--are all in school now, and I can't even clean my house (to my husband's satisfaction.) (Could it be b/c I am reading Emerald Ring in one day?) Do you sleep?!?!?

Anyway, whatever you are doing, keep it up!!

Loved your books and can't wait for the next one.
Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, Michelle!
I hope the design project turned out well, despite Emerald Ring interference. I'm so glad you liked the London references. I was an expat there on the Circle Line myself, and I still miss it-- especially those Cadbury chocolate machines at the Tube stops (why can't we start importing a few of those over to the States?). And I'm so excited that your book club is going to read the Pink series-- thanks!
Lauren

beckwith_usa wrote:
Hi Lauren,

After exhausting the "Josephine B." series, I stumbled upon your wonderful historical fiction collection. As a former expat in the "Circle Line" I especially loved your references to London and Scotland. My book club members are intrigued by my consumption of your writing, and your series is now an official pick for 2007. Would you consider throwing in some more architectural references into your next novel? (My interior design 3 final project was put on perma-hold while I finished Emerald!) Great stuff!!
Best,
Michelle

Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Hi, Amanda!
Yay-- I'm so happy that you were interesting enough to join in. Looking forward to chatting with you over the next month....
Lauren

MacNCheese wrote:
I can honestly say I have not read a book by you. I was interested in the book clubs and when I came across your book it seemed so interesting that I had to join. I am excited to read your book and hear your commmentary, what better way to understand a book than to get explanations first hand. I should have joined sooner and from what I am reading I am wishing I found your books sooner! Thank You for your time!

Users Online
Currently online: 66 members 327 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: