BN Editor
Amanda_R
0 Kudos

About the Book and Author

[ Edited ]
About the Book
Book Cover Image: Title: The Deception of the Emerald Ring, Author: Lauren Willig Buy It With The Deception of the Emerald Ring, Lauren Willig is back with her third romantic historical romp involving British espionage and love affairs in the early 19th century juxtaposed alongside a contemporary romance storyline starring Harvard grad student and amateur history sleuth Eloise Kelly.

The novel's past-tense tale features the honorable Lord Geoffrey Pinchingdale, determined to win the love of the lovely Mary Alsworthy -- but Mary's younger sister, Letty, is equally determined to break up the marriage. When Lord Geoffrey and Letty wind up in a slightly compromising position (well, by 1803 standards -- they were caught riding in the same carriage at midnight) they are forced to marry. Vexed at having been forced to marry the wrong sister, Geoff sets off to Ireland on a mysterious espionage mission (turns out he's also a spy). Letty decides to hunt him down, and gets all mixed up in his secret life as a spy... with sweetly comic results that no one sees coming.

As with the earlier books in Willig's Pink Carnation series, Harvard historian Eloise Kelly falls deeply into this intriguing mystery from the past as she does her research... and into a modern-day love story of her own.

About the Author
Author Photo: Lauren Willig Although she may not have realized it at the time, Lauren Willig had her life pretty clearly mapped out when she was a mere nine-year old. That's when she completed her first "novel" -- 300 handwritten pages of a Nancy Drew-inspired mystery titled The Night the Clock Struck Death. "[I]t featured twin detectives," she told The Readers Place.com. "After all, if one teenage sleuth was good, two had to be even better! I bundled off all two hundred hand-written pages to Simon & Schuster, giddy with visions of being hailed as 'Youngest Author Ever!' and invited to tea by the Queen. They sent it back. I was utterly crushed for at least a week."

Crushed, perhaps, but apparently the pull of becoming a writer was considerably stronger than the sting of rejection. In fact, Willig's first novel that would not be met with a rejection letter was actually written as a sort of treat. "I had promised myself that when my General Exams (oral exams at the end of the second year of grad school) were over, I would get to start work on a novel, as a reward to myself for two years of diligent academic labor -- but I didn't know which novel I was going to write," she explained to Barnes & Noble.com. "There were three contenders: one, the Pink Carnation; another, a mystery novel set at Yale; and a third, a historical novel set around a group of Luddites in 1812. The Yalie mystery novel nearly won out... but the image of a masked spy on a rope tipped the balance the other way, and The Pink Carnation was born."

It is fortunate for Willig's growing throng of fans that she decided to write the book she did. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation was a witty melding of espionage thriller, swashbuckler, and the kind of classic "bodice-ripping" romance novels she first discovered at the tender age of six. In an interview with A Romance Review.com, Willig succinctly described the book as the adventures of "a modern grad student researching her dissertation in London (and having a little romance of her own), the Pink books all follow the exploits of a mysterious English spy named the Pink Carnation. Although the Pink Carnation books build on one another, each book focuses on a different pair of lovers and is meant to stand alone as an individual story. With the later books, I've tried to weave in any information from the previous books that might be key to understanding either the characters or the plot."

Following her sexy, witty debut in 2005, Willig quickly penned the next chapter in the Pink Carnation series that same year. The Masque of the Black Tulip finds Willig's chief heroine Eloise Kelly delving into the mysterious story of Lady Henrietta Selwick, who learns the secret identity of France's most cunning spy -- the Black Tulip. Fans of The Secret History of the Pink Carnation were not disappointed with this new installment in the saga, and Willig soon found herself hard at work on The Deception of the Emerald Ring, published the following year.

Amazingly, Willig has not only been staking out a claim as a hot new writer of historical romance yarns, but she has also been working toward a Ph.D. and studying at Harvard Law School. With such a full plate, one might worry that she may not have the time to continue spinning tales of the plucky Eloise Kelly and the enigmatic Pink Carnation. Somehow, though, she manages to balance her very busy writing and academic careers and promises many lusty adventures to come. She tantalizingly offered the following to A Romance Review.com: "Book IV was originally meant to be about Charlotte, Henrietta's best friend from The Masque of the Black Tulip (Book II), but it was ruthlessly hijacked by one of my other characters," and went on to announce, "I do have plans to write a fifth Pink Carnation book…and a sixth and a seventh, if time and the Powers That Be permit. I still have so many characters I want to marry off. And so many Napoleonic plots to foil! I'm particularly looking forward to enmeshing the Pink Carnation in the Peninsular Wars. But that won't be for quite some time yet."

-- Mike Segretto for Meet the Writers

Message Edited by BN_Editor on 12-20-2006 08:46 AM

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: About the Book and Author

Any author who was inspired by Nancy Drew is A-OK in my book! I'm in the process of re-reading the series from my childhood (the yellow spine, black edged edition).
Author
LaurenWillig
0 Kudos

Oh, I had those, too! They made such a nicely coordinated row on the bookshelf. I was so sad when the more modern ones starting coming out, and they were all lurid-looking paperbacks.

Jo6353 wrote:
Any author who was inspired by Nancy Drew is A-OK in my book! I'm in the process of re-reading the series from my childhood (the yellow spine, black edged edition).

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

LaurenWillig wrote:
Oh, I had those, too! They made such a nicely coordinated row on the bookshelf. I was so sad when the more modern ones starting coming out, and they were all lurid-looking paperbacks.

Jo6353 wrote:

Just not the same!
Frequent Contributor
politikgirl
0 Kudos

I grew up on Nancy Drew books, to the point where one of my teachers in elementary school asked me to stop writing all my book reviews on Nancy Drew books. How I miss those books...
Users Online
Currently online:57 members 496 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: