Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Tangled Webs

What does the book's title mean? How does "deception" play a purpose in the novel? Who do you believe was the most deceiving character in Emerald Ring?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
SaraleeE
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Tangled Webs

I thought the book's title referred to the betrothal ring that Letty wears--since it's not a real marriage, she feels like she's wearing it under false pretenses.

But also, if Emerald=Ireland, then Jane and her associates are deceiving the ring of Irish plotters. Or maybe it's vice-versa--the Irish plotters are deceiving everybody else. Wait! Maybe it's the Black Tulip crowd that is deceiving everybody else! Oh, great. Now I'm all mixed up.
Frequent Contributor
politikgirl
0 Kudos

The most deceiving character? The Black Tulip himself/herself. I love the idea that he/she could have been multiple people, and can't wait to see how that mystery will unravel.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I was thinking it was the betrothal ring also. Lettie feels betrayed when her husband leaves her on their wedding night to go to Ireland. Maybe it is something more deceptive as I have not finished the book yet.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: Deceptions abound

I love that there seem to be layers of deception in this book. This word "Deception" is what drew me into the book itself. I immediately wanted to know what and who and how.

Are there any more layers to call out?
dianeh
0 Kudos

Re: Deceptions abound

The first deception occurs with Geoff's perception of Letty's deliberate entrapment, which is why he uses the "hideous" emerald family ring. The next is the deception of the relationship between Geoff and "Gilly" and "Auntie Ernie". Then, we have Lord Vaughn pretending to be with the Black Tulip, when he's really working with Jane (or perhaps he is working for them both and playing one against the other?). Then, of course, we have the Irish Rebellion and the deception flows like a river! It's hard to keep track of them all.

clarepayton wrote:
I love that there seem to be layers of deception in this book. This word "Deception" is what drew me into the book itself. I immediately wanted to know what and who and how.

Are there any more layers to call out?

Diane
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: