Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: The Pink Carnation Series

If you've read the previous volumes, how would you compare the heroes in each book: Richard in The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, Miles in The Masque of the Black Tulip and Geoff in The Deception of the Emerald Ring? How would you compare the heroines: Amy, Henrietta, and Letty?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
politikgirl
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: The Pink Carnation Series

Heroes:
Richard is by far the best "spy" among the three, Miles the most fun, I think and Geoff the most "real". I love them all, really. I love Richard's dashing spy persona, but I love Miles' humour. He often has the best lines. And Geoff is the kind of man who is so honest and down-to-earth that it's no wonder Letty is won over by him.

Heroines:
I love them all, but I think I love Letty the most, because she is brave, down-to-earth and the most "realistic". I love Amy for her spunk and Henrietta because she's a friend I'd want to have.
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I have seen this series but did not think much on it until now. They sound really interresting and I think I might have to test the water. What are your thoughts on them?
Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Contributor
dianeh
0 Kudos

Richard was the one who was the "do-er", the action figure. He wasn't happy unless he was performing some deed of "daring-do". I liked him because of that.

Miles wanted to be doing, also, but Mr. Wickham at the Foreign Office thought he would stick out like a sore thumb (with his height) but what made me like Miles, too, was that he contributed in any way they needed him. He wasn't as satisfied as he would've been had he been in France with the rest of the group, But he didn't get sullen about it. He determined he would make an impact doing whatever he could for the good of the cause.

Geoff was the planner, as we learned in Pink III, when the narrative breaks down the fact that his father died of smallpox when he was a little boy and thinking to stop death from getting to his father's room. He fell asleep, which he thought at the time was why his father died. From then on, he felt the need to plan, especially for his friends in the League of the Purple Gentian and, subsequently, the League of the Pink Carnation. He didn't leave things to chance, or "fate". It's ironic that "fate" stepped in with his botched elopement and unwanted bride. I like the fact that he came to the realization himself that Letty didn't deliberately try to entrap him in marriage. That shows Geoff in the light of being a thinker; good with his head but in matters of the heart, he floundered.

I think I would have to say that Geoff is my favorite because of the vulnerability to his character.

Amy was very strong of character and will, proven by the fact that she came up with the idea to use disguises and become spies bent on bringing France to its knees. Jane was along for the ride. When it became obvious that Richard was persona non grata in France, Amy was ready to forget all about the Pink Carnation. I believe she was the one to come up with the idea of a school for spies. I liked her for her strength and courage in retrieving the man she loved from a French prison.

Henrietta was the fun-loving, zany one of the group. Imagine, following the man you love when he's on a ride with a potential rival, being caught in the hedges, and trying to lie your way out of humiliation. Only Henrietta (with the help of her zany friends). Also determination in abundance. She was determined that she would have Miles and didn't even consider failure. I liked that most about her.

Letty, I think, was my favorite because of the fact that she was very smart (which is not to say that the other two women weren't), sensible, and capable. Very dependable in a crisis. Self-confident about what she could and couldn't do, but with the vulnerability that made her doubt her worthiness. She was exactly right for Geoff.

My favorite heroine has to be Letty.

clarepayton wrote:
If you've read the previous volumes, how would you compare the heroes in each book: Richard in The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, Miles in The Masque of the Black Tulip and Geoff in The Deception of the Emerald Ring? How would you compare the heroines: Amy, Henrietta, and Letty?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.

Diane
Contributor
dianeh
0 Kudos

I would highly recommend the Pink Carnation Series. It has a lot of action, plot twists, and will have you laughing out loud. I can't tell you how many times I had my husband ask me what was so funny. After a little while trying to explain what happened in the book and his eyes glazing over, I would reply, "Something in the book." They are all great reads.

krenea1 wrote:
I have seen this series but did not think much on it until now. They sound really interresting and I think I might have to test the water. What are your thoughts on them?

Karen,
Diane
Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks for your input. They do sound fun!

Message Edited by krenea1 on 01-25-200701:51 PM

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Users Online
Currently online:52 members 486 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: