Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Discussion Topic: Two Eras

How do the modern and the historical characters play off one another in The Deception of the Emerald Ring? Did you feel that the modern-day London storyline helped frame the historical novel within the book?

Click on "Reply" to post your thoughts about this discussion topic, or click "New Message" on the main page to start a new topic thread.
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Two Eras

I certainly think it is an interesting twist to an opening to the novel. I was reading about Lettie's marriage and the next chapter, we are back in the present. It was a bit confusing as I became wrapped up in the storylne and forgot about Eloise.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
clarepayton
0 Kudos

Re: The two worlds, stories, eras

Usually, when an author chooses to create two parallel storylines, she has something up her sleeve. Don't tell us, Lauren! But, what parallel experiences can we find? And, what parallel themes occur?
politikgirl
0 Kudos

Re: Discussion Topic: Two Eras

A theme that I found (I'm hoping I'm on the right track here) was the idea of looking beyond an initial judgment/perception of a person or action to discover the real truth, much like Letty finding out that Geoff was in fact a part of the Pink Carnation group, or Geoff finding out that Letty really had good intentions and was not trying to trap him into marriage, or Eloise finding out that Colin had a very legitimate reason to "kick her out".
Contributor
dianeh
0 Kudos

Spoiler? Re: The two worlds, stories, eras

One parallel I noticed, and didn't think about until I read the question, was how Eloise took an instant dislike to Colin on their first meeting in Pink I; this was reminiscent of Amy and Richard on the voyage to Calais. Eloise and Colin have a chat in the kitchen where Eloise acknowledges that, maybe, he's not that bad. Amy had that revelation, as well, into Pink I. In Pink II, there is a little rivalry for Colin's attention, just as there was for Miles' attention (Henrietta and the Marquise). In Pink III, Eloise starts out thinking that she is not the type of girl that Colin would be interested in, the same feeling that Letty has about Geoff. It seemed to me that whoever Eloise was researching and whatever they were going through at that time, she may have subconsciously transferred into her life.

clarepayton wrote:
Usually, when an author chooses to create two parallel storylines, she has something up her sleeve. Don't tell us, Lauren! But, what parallel experiences can we find? And, what parallel themes occur?

Diane
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 782 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: