Fortunately, many of Brown’s stories and poems are still in print today. How many can you name from the excerpts below? "Brownie" points for getting all 10 right! And shame on you if you don’t recognize the line from Goodnight Moon! (Answers are below.)
1. I can swing right over the world.
2. So he kissed it right on its little fur nose and put it gently back in the grass…
3. And they wanted green paint, of course, because nearly every place they liked to go was green.
4. But in this story the children are away. Only the animals are here today.
5. And here he is where he wants to be—a sailor sailing the deep green sea.
6. “I will become a little sailboat, and I will sail away from you.”
7. But because he was only a little bunny, it was a very little rock and he didn’t throw it very hard and the egg didn’t break.
8. And a comb and a brush and a bowl full of mush…
9. “Here is my home. Under this rock, under this stone, down under the ground, here is my home.”
10. He was named Crispin’s Crispian because—he belonged to himself.
Answers: 1) My World; 2) Little Fur Family; 3) The Color Kittens; 4) Big Red Barn; 5) The Sailor Dog; 6) The Runaway Bunny; 7) The Golden Egg Book; 8) Goodnight Moon; 9) Home for a Bunny; 10) Mister Dog.
How many did you get right? What is your favorite book by Margaret Wise Brown?
Want to keep up with my reviews, and all of Barnes & Noble’s exclusive reviews, author interviews, videos, promotions, and more? Please follow us on Twitter: @BNBuzz!
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.