Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself!

I'm Rachel, your moderator for the month. I'd love to hear who you are and how you came upon "Life Class!" Have you read other novels by Pat Barker? Have you read other novels set during WW1?
Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself!

hi rachel! my real name is kaylee, but my nickname is kat i respond to either. i live in ohio and i'm 20 years old. i haven't been in a lot of the book clubs. i started out in a first look club, but they're so crowded. i tried to do a smaller one, but i really disliked the book, so i didn't feeling like discussing it. this month though i'm doing 2 of the clubs and look forward to hearing others opinions about the book. i have never read a book by pat barker before and i have only read a few set during ww1.
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Kat!

I'm glad you're here. I'm impressed that you've read other WW1 novels--any that you're crazy about?

I think my few associations with this war are Hemingway, Picasso, and Remarque! Not terribly broad, I know, but it also points out how far in the past this war seems to us now. I love that the characters in this novels are so locked into a struggle between art and war, and how they must chose to live--in bigger and smaller ways. I love that art is not frivolous in the way it is presented here.

Thanks for joining--I'll keep looking for your comments!

Rachel
New User
ostenji
0 Kudos

My name is Jillian and this is my first book discussion. I'm about half way through this novel and was not sure what to think, so I decided to check out what other people were saying. Everyone I've talked to says to "Keep reading!"
I also can't remember another book I've read set in WW1 so I'm interested in the time period as well.
I look forward to hearing what others are saying!
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian,

Welcome to the book clubs! These discussions can be a great place to begin sorting through your impressions of a novel while you're reading--I hope you enjoy them! I look forward to your posts!

Rachel
New User
TiffsReadingBuddy
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Jona, and I am proud to say that my reading buddy was the one that ignited me to read Life Class, I had seen the description of the novel online, and I was very interested in the characters as well as the setting of the story. I feel that English society can be seen as a model society, and although my view changed as I read Life Class, I am thinking about joining an art class myself with my reading buddy pretty soon.
Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Hi Kat!

I'm glad you're here. I'm impressed that you've read other WW1 novels--any that you're crazy about?

I think my few associations with this war are Hemingway, Picasso, and Remarque! Not terribly broad, I know, but it also points out how far in the past this war seems to us now. I love that the characters in this novels are so locked into a struggle between art and war, and how they must chose to live--in bigger and smaller ways. I love that art is not frivolous in the way it is presented here.

Thanks for joining--I'll keep looking for your comments!

Rachel

hi rachel,
i can't think of any titles off the top of my head, i also enjoy reading novels set during ww2. i usually like ones written in this sort of style, i like to read about how things were on the home front. it's interesting to see how people handle these situations. to be torn by turning your life upside down or trying to maintain normalcy. i also like the way art isn't made to seem frivolous. i understand that some people cope with things by being creative, that is where some of our best art and writing come from.
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Welcome to the group, Jona! Taking an art class sounds great. Did Life Class inspire you?
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,225 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: