Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Neville

Kit Neville is apparently an extraordinarily powerful artist, even at such a young age--but what kind of person is he? Does his personality match up to his talents? What do you make of his character?

What are Paul and Elinor's feelings about him, and why?
Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

Re: Neville

i didn't like neville in the beginning i thought that he was conceded and had let the fame from his art go to his head, but in the end of the book i felt sorry for him. i think that paul liked neville in a competitor like way, he was try to prove he was just as good as neville. i think that elinor was just using him to play against paul.
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Kat727 wrote:
i didn't like neville in the beginning i thought that he was conceded and had let the fame from his art go to his head, but in the end of the book i felt sorry for him. i think that paul liked neville in a competitor like way, he was try to prove he was just as good as neville. i think that elinor was just using him to play against paul.

Hi Kat!

I don't think I ever warmed up to Neville! And I also kept wondering if Paul really liked him in any way.

I thought that the original situation of the characters was interesting because Paul is a much more sympathetic character--but Neville is by far the better artist. I don't think I often read the "nice guy" character as also having to fight real jealousy issues.

I had a lot of sympathy for Elinor! She seems so young that I had to forgive her for some social silliness! I also thought that, like Paul, she was jealous of Neville's artistic success, too--did you?

Rachel
Frequent Contributor
Kat727
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Kat727 wrote:

Hi Kat!

I don't think I ever warmed up to Neville! And I also kept wondering if Paul really liked him in any way.

I thought that the original situation of the characters was interesting because Paul is a much more sympathetic character--but Neville is by far the better artist. I don't think I often read the "nice guy" character as also having to fight real jealousy issues.

I had a lot of sympathy for Elinor! She seems so young that I had to forgive her for some social silliness! I also thought that, like Paul, she was jealous of Neville's artistic success, too--did you?

Rachel

i don't think that elinor was jealous of neville, she didn't seem to concerned with his fame from his art. she just seemed to only recognize him as a love interest or toy:smileywink:(sorry no offense to you for liking her).
peace and love
Kaylee/Kat
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Kat727 wrote:

rkubie wrote:

Kat727 wrote:

Hi Kat!

Rachel

i don't think that elinor was jealous of neville, she didn't seem to concerned with his fame from his art. she just seemed to only recognize him as a love interest or toy:smileywink:(sorry no offense to you for liking her).

No offense taken! But it does make me think of a new thread we could start, looking at each of these characters as artists, so I'll go post that!
Users Online
Currently online: 21 members 357 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: