Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ARE THE CHARACTERS IN THE BOOK, IN YOUR LIFE?

We have read about 3 generations of women and also about people around them, male and female. OF all the characters you read about, which do you feel are you most like and why? Are there any characters like these in your life today?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: ARE THE CHARACTERS IN THE BOOK, IN YOUR LIFE?

vivico1 wrote:
We have read about 3 generations of women and also about people around them, male and female. OF all the characters you read about, which do you feel are you most like and why? Are there any characters like these in your life today?

I think I kind of answered this one as we went along. I didnt really relate to Peony in the beginning, didnt identify with her character. And not because of the cultural differences, but because I was never that isolated from the world that young. I was never that innocent or naive, tho as I grew older, I felt like to not have some of that, I was robbed of something. Now, once she dies and becomes a hungry ghost and heard who becomes a hungry ghost, you already know I said well thats where I would have wound up! And I didnt like it at all!

I think there are people in my life who are like some of the others, or maybe combinations of some. When I was young, I had a love that I thought was THE Love and would love me forever and come and find me too, when we got separated by time and distance. He actually did look for me for many years, and I looked for him. Its a long story how we got separated without knowing where each other was but it was definately pre- computer, cell phone era too lol. We did find each other 25 years later, having build up what we had at 18 and he at 21 into some fairytale romance in our heads by then and had the same butterflies the second we talked on the phone, but within one month, found that life had gone on, we had gone on and we werent those two kids anymore of our fairytale. We found that we just needed to let go and say goodbye, BUT, one good thing came of it, we got to say the things we had left unsaid and we got to actually SAY goodbye. I think not getting to do that then, is what kept us both stuck there for so long and seeking each other out in other people. Neither of us wound up with any one like the other in the end, but we have both had loves since and now, tho I miss the fairytale feeling I carried for so long, its ok, cause I dont miss the man any more because we got to say goodbye.

What about you ladies? There are three generations of women in this story and I know most of you are mothers, maybe some grandmothers, who do you relate to, or for that matter of the men, some of their traits?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I think I kind of answered this one as we went along. I didnt really relate to Peony in the beginning, didnt identify with her character. And not because of the cultural differences, but because I was never that isolated from the world that young. I was never that innocent or naive, tho as I grew older, I felt like to not have some of that, I was robbed of something. Now, once she dies and becomes a hungry ghost and heard who becomes a hungry ghost, you already know I said well thats where I would have wound up! And I didnt like it at all!

I think there are people in my life who are like some of the others, or maybe combinations of some. When I was young, I had a love that I thought was THE Love and would love me forever and come and find me too, when we got separated by time and distance. He actually did look for me for many years, and I looked for him. Its a long story how we got separated without knowing where each other was but it was definately pre- computer, cell phone era too lol. We did find each other 25 years later, having build up what we had at 18 and he at 21 into some fairytale romance in our heads by then and had the same butterflies the second we talked on the phone, but within one month, found that life had gone on, we had gone on and we werent those two kids anymore of our fairytale. We found that we just needed to let go and say goodbye, BUT, one good thing came of it, we got to say the things we had left unsaid and we got to actually SAY goodbye. I think not getting to do that then, is what kept us both stuck there for so long and seeking each other out in other people. Neither of us wound up with any one like the other in the end, but we have both had loves since and now, tho I miss the fairytale feeling I carried for so long, its ok, cause I dont miss the man any more because we got to say goodbye.

What about you ladies? There are three generations of women in this story and I know most of you are mothers, maybe some grandmothers, who do you relate to, or for that matter of the men, some of their traits?

I'm not going to answer the questions you've posed, but just say that I had a flame from high school write to me through my website a year or so ago. (He's seen one of my books in an airport.) We had about a six-week daily e-mail correspondence and said all the things and explained all the things that had gone on back then. It was not only a chance to say goodbye but also to fully close that chapter. No more hard feelings, misunderstandings, or things left unsaid. At the end, we both felt very at peace about everything.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I'm not going to answer the questions you've posed, but just say that I had a flame from high school write to me through my website a year or so ago. (He's seen one of my books in an airport.) We had about a six-week daily e-mail correspondence and said all the things and explained all the things that had gone on back then. It was not only a chance to say goodbye but also to fully close that chapter. No more hard feelings, misunderstandings, or things left unsaid. At the end, we both felt very at peace about everything.

Sometimes it really is about just getting to say goodbye huh. Its one of those things you hear as a regret about losing a loved one to death too...."but I never got to say goodbye!". We need our endings as much as we do new beginnings I think.
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Lisa; this is a beautiful story. Were you tempted to meet? Did that ever come up?
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Lisa; this is a beautiful story. Were you tempted to meet? Did that ever come up?

kiakar wrote:

Hardly. He lived in South Dakota and I live in Los Angeles.
Frequent Contributor
seagate
0 Kudos

I think Lisa is giving us a great example of Fate and Destiny with a good deal of Conscience thrown in. We'll have to see in what form that episode appears in her next book !!!!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

seagate wrote:
I think Lisa is giving us a great example of Fate and Destiny with a good deal of Conscience thrown in. We'll have to see in what form that episode appears in her next book !!!!

Now theres a good discussion! How does conscience relate to the ideas of fate,destiny and fortune! Too deep for me right now tho LOL. Just enjoying our winding down time together. :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:smileyfrustrated:ometimes it really is about just getting to say goodbye huh. Its one of those things you hear as a regret about losing a loved one to death too...."but I never got to say goodbye!". We need our endings as much as we do new beginnings I think.

Goodbyes are important. It can help you close that chapter. It can also help put the "what ifs?" to rest. Time seems to distort reality sometimes and you can continue to love the person because you've given them so many amazing traits in your mind that they never really had. Or, like in my case, you continue to be angry and sometimes that grows. I had a relationship go bad in high school and it wasn't until after college that I got to get over the anger. We were adults then and got to get past the hurt from our youth. It wasn't exactly goodbye but it was the end to that relationship and the start of a new one as adults living in the same community and getting along.
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 284 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: