Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: The Cataclysm, Grandma and Grandfather, the truth

vivico1 wrote:

But isnt it interesting that they had enough guilty feelings about it, or shame, that they (the men, grandfather and Baba) made up stories to cover it, rather than just saying, grandmother died the honorable death of protecting her husband as all good wives should do? If it was expected, why hide it then, except for shame.

Good point! Shame isn't enough either. They should feel much worse for the murder of a loved one, and they are just as responsible. Not only do they allow it to happen they require it. And then they say she committed suicide. Wow - that makes ALL of the men I know look really, really good!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

But isnt it interesting that they had enough guilty feelings about it, or shame, that they (the men, grandfather and Baba) made up stories to cover it, rather than just saying, grandmother died the honorable death of protecting her husband as all good wives should do? If it was expected, why hide it then, except for shame.

Good point! Shame isn't enough either. They should feel much worse for the murder of a loved one, and they are just as responsible. Not only do they allow it to happen they require it. And then they say she committed suicide. Wow - that makes ALL of the men I know look really, really good!

Ok wrighty, that last line...Wow - that makes ALL of the men I know look really, really good!... has got me giggling LOL. I know some wonderful men but at the same time there are some that NOTHING could make them look good hehehe, well ok compared to O.J. maybe LOL :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:
But then, Wrighty, women were so insignicant that if the husband had died she would hae been sent away or sold or whatever. So what did a women, what choice did she have. eny meny miny mo. She just said this and went with the flow, whichever one came first I suppose.

You're right Kiakar, the mens' life had value and the womens' didn't. It was just a shock that it was taken so lightly and that it was the norm. Of course, these were arranged marriages so there probably wasn't much love between these couples. The men may have felt that they were only losing the equivalent of a servant.

You are so right, Vivian. i didn't think of that. They were ashamed! HA!
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Re: DISCUSSIONS FOR PART TWO (PAGE 96 THRU 198)

Wrighty wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

One thousand years ago, the poet Han Yun wrote, “All things not at peace will cry out.” What do you think he meant by that? And in what ways does this inspire Peony and the other women writers in the novel?

Peony and the other women who wanted to write about things in the outer realm could not be at peace with themselves while being forced to remain in the inner chamber and build their lives and work only around things of the inner chamber. Consequently, they cry out in the form of lovesickness and their writings. They would rather die than be forced to live a life that they did not feel they were meant to live.

I agree with what you're saying about the maidens but didn't Peony say that she didn't realize she was dying until the very end? She had to know subconciously what would happen to her if she didn't eat but I thought I remember her being surprised by her own death. She was misunderstanding her funeral preparations for her wedding preparations.

Just because something is unconscious, doesn't make it any less real or true. These girls had a desire to be heard even though they were dying. Some knew they were dying; others didn't. The women who wrote about their lives on the walls knew they were going to die. They needed to leave behind some small bit of themselves. Otherwise, it would have been as though they'd never been on earth.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 236 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: