Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 164 - SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK



vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

"Ghosts, like living people, do not like to accept the truth. We delude ourselves to save face, maintain a measure of optimism, and keep going forward in truly untenable situations."

I marked this quote as a special one during my reading, but looking back on it after having completed the book, I realize how much it has to do with the book as a whole and many of the characters, not just Peony.


Boy thats true and look at the whole thing about the Cataclysm. Living ghosts, men and women came out of that. Was that quote about the Cataclysm or where Fozzie, I dont remember?



Page 164.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 263


Fozzie wrote:
"The only permanent thing is impermanence."

If only it were so easy to live life with this in mind as it is to type it, read it, or say it.


yeah but I dont agree with that quote. I dont believe the only permanant is impermanence. I believe the soul is eternal, permanent. I believe some feelings and attributes we have here, live on after this body is dead and I think if we keep that in mind as we move through life, we might be more careful with this one.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 164 - SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK


Fozzie wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

"Ghosts, like living people, do not like to accept the truth. We delude ourselves to save face, maintain a measure of optimism, and keep going forward in truly untenable situations."

I marked this quote as a special one during my reading, but looking back on it after having completed the book, I realize how much it has to do with the book as a whole and many of the characters, not just Peony.


Boy thats true and look at the whole thing about the Cataclysm. Living ghosts, men and women came out of that. Was that quote about the Cataclysm or where Fozzie, I dont remember?



Page 164.


I dont have the book now, someone else does :smileywink: so not sure what it was in reference to. But it did sure make me think about the effects of the Cataclysm anyway.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 263



vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
"The only permanent thing is impermanence."

If only it were so easy to live life with this in mind as it is to type it, read it, or say it.


yeah but I dont agree with that quote. I dont believe the only permanant is impermanence. I believe the soul is eternal, permanent. I believe some feelings and attributes we have here, live on after this body is dead and I think if we keep that in mind as we move through life, we might be more careful with this one.



If I included the part before the quote, you will see it is talking about the world.

"You must remember, Master Wu, that nothing in the world is permanent. The only permanent thing is impermanence."

I still don't think you will agree with it, but this clarifies it.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 263


Fozzie wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
"The only permanent thing is impermanence."

If only it were so easy to live life with this in mind as it is to type it, read it, or say it.


yeah but I dont agree with that quote. I dont believe the only permanant is impermanence. I believe the soul is eternal, permanent. I believe some feelings and attributes we have here, live on after this body is dead and I think if we keep that in mind as we move through life, we might be more careful with this one.



If I included the part before the quote, you will see it is talking about the world.

"You must remember, Master Wu, that nothing in the world is permanent. The only permanent thing is impermanence."

I still don't think you will agree with it, but this clarifies it.


true, and true, lol thank you :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
LisaSee
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎08-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 164 - SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK



Fozzie wrote:
SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

"Ghosts, like living people, do not like to accept the truth. We delude ourselves to save face, maintain a measure of optimism, and keep going forward in truly untenable situations."

I marked this quote as a special one during my reading, but looking back on it after having completed the book, I realize how much it has to do with the book as a whole and many of the characters, not just Peony.




And not just fictional characters but real living people too.
Author
LisaSee
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎08-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 263



Fozzie wrote:
"The only permanent thing is impermanence."

If only it were so easy to live life with this in mind as it is to type it, read it, or say it.




This is probably the most important Buddhist teaching. I'm not a Buddhist, but I think it is true.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 164 - SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK


vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:


vivico1 wrote:

Fozzie wrote:
SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

"Ghosts, like living people, do not like to accept the truth. We delude ourselves to save face, maintain a measure of optimism, and keep going forward in truly untenable situations."

I marked this quote as a special one during my reading, but looking back on it after having completed the book, I realize how much it has to do with the book as a whole and many of the characters, not just Peony.


Boy thats true and look at the whole thing about the Cataclysm. Living ghosts, men and women came out of that. Was that quote about the Cataclysm or where Fozzie, I dont remember?



Page 164.


I dont have the book now, someone else does :smileywink: so not sure what it was in reference to. But it did sure make me think about the effects of the Cataclysm anyway.



That is a good quote Fozzie.

Viv, Peony says this when she is learning to fight for food on the Festival of Hungry Ghosts. There is fierce competition for the food left out at the different homes. When Peony gets to her own home (Chen's) she wants to enter but it is secured against ghosts. She doesn't want to believe that she is reduced to being a hungry ghost with no food and no place to go.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Actual Experience in China



Fozzie wrote:


bentley wrote:


There are just so many people and maybe that in itself does not put a high value on their fellow citizens...I am not sure. When I was in China just recently, a bus hit a young man on a bicycle and killed him and nobody came. The bus kept going and people just walked over him It was very upsetting.

Bentley



This is horrifying!





Yes, it was at the time and still is when I think of it. And it was an actual recent experience (past 10 months).
Frequent Contributor
bentley
Posts: 2,509
Registered: ‎01-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages - Page 164 - SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK



Fozzie wrote:
SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK

"Ghosts, like living people, do not like to accept the truth. We delude ourselves to save face, maintain a measure of optimism, and keep going forward in truly untenable situations."

I marked this quote as a special one during my reading, but looking back on it after having completed the book, I realize how much it has to do with the book as a whole and many of the characters, not just Peony.




This quote is so true. I guess one does not know what else to do but to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages?/ page numbers here, so no spoilers???



vivico1 wrote:

mairwill wrote:
Vivian and All--

Great idea! I find it difficult to know how much to say when I've read the whole book but others have not. And it also bothers me when I've not read all the book and someone says something that gives the story away without putting spoiler in the subject heading.

It would also be great if sections were set up by our moderator dividing the book's discussions into beginning, middle, and end.

Later--

Mair


you got that right!~




Okay guys and girls ... I'm reading the big print book. So, your pages and my pages don't jive! LOL Pages numbers don't work!

I'll cautiously read the posts in case there's a spoiler. :smileywink:
Author
LisaSee
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎08-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages?/ page numbers here, so no spoilers???

I really don't know where the moderator has been. Not here, that we know. The time, the moderator posted questions for each section of the book. She didn't do that, so I tried to put up some It is divided into three parts, so page numbers shouldn't matter too much.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages?/ page numbers here, so no spoilers???


LisaSee wrote:
I really don't know where the moderator has been. Not here, that we know. The time, the moderator posted questions for each section of the book. She didn't do that, so I tried to put up some It is divided into three parts, so page numbers shouldn't matter too much.



I don't know where she has been either Lisa and it's quite disappointing. You have done a great job though and given us very good questions. We all appreciate that very much. It's too bad you had to do the extra work though.
Author
LisaSee
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎08-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages?/ page numbers here, so no spoilers???



Wrighty wrote:

LisaSee wrote:
I really don't know where the moderator has been. Not here, that we know. The time, the moderator posted questions for each section of the book. She didn't do that, so I tried to put up some It is divided into three parts, so page numbers shouldn't matter too much.



I don't know where she has been either Lisa and it's quite disappointing. You have done a great job though and given us very good questions. We all appreciate that very much. It's too bad you had to do the extra work though.




It was hardly extra work. I bet I know the book better than anyone, after all.
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 156 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: