Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

HOW DO BOOKS AFFECT US

This has been a very interesting, entertaining and thought provoking book. When you read a book such as this, that clearly brought out many feelings in all of us, what do you take away from this book as you leave it? Do all books leave something lasting with you? What, if any, lasting impressions do you think this book will leave you with?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
seagate
0 Kudos

Re: HOW DO BOOKS AFFECT US

"Do all books leave an impression.? "
Since lately I have found myself taking a book from the library that i had previously read , the answer for me is "no".Some books don't click at all.
Lisa's books leave a lasting impression , She writes with such an interesting style that we get caught up in the story and then suddenly realize we are being educated at the same time.I know more about ancient Chinese people and their customs from reading Lisa See's books than all the ancient history courses I have taken through the years.In addition this discussion with Lisa and all you friendly club members will enhance the wonderful memories of this great book.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

seagate wrote:
"Do all books leave an impression.? "
Since lately I have found myself taking a book from the library that i had previously read , the answer for me is "no".Some books don't click at all.
Lisa's books leave a lasting impression , She writes with such an interesting style that we get caught up in the story and then suddenly realize we are being educated at the same time.I know more about ancient Chinese people and their customs from reading Lisa See's books than all the ancient history courses I have taken through the years.In addition this discussion with Lisa and all you friendly club members will enhance the wonderful memories of this great book.

Seagate, I agree with you totally. Its really nice to have a novel, a story, grab you and then teach you too and this does both. I also find that some books really dont leave any impression on me, or worse, were so bad I cant forget them lol. I think I will take several things away from this book. One, a good story well written and really interesting. Two, like you said, man I learned so much about their beliefs! I learned about their traditions, their ideas of the afterlife, what you need to do here (or be here)to insure a good afterlife. And Lisa, you told the story from the perspective of those in the afterlife, that what they say or feel, I just realized, was as real to me as knowing these women did exist, I got into it so much that I took their thoughts and actions in the afterlife for granted that that was real too, but how can it be? YOU cant see into the afterlife or stand on the viewing terrace with them! Isnt that interesting that I would just now think about that. OK, thats good writing LOL, I took the whole dialogues in the afterlife as a sort of fictionalized version of what they said then too LOL, does that make sense, what I am saying I mean? OK, thats a thought I am going to take away with me for some time, a good selling point for referring your book on too :smileywink:. I will take away from me the renewed sense of how women throughout history and across cultures are really the same, wanting the same, needing the same, and often deprived still of the same, just in different ways. I love that there were such revered women writers of that time. And also, that sense of the idea of mother love, touches all generations then and now.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
This has been a very interesting, entertaining and thought provoking book. When you read a book such as this, that clearly brought out many feelings in all of us, what do you take away from this book as you leave it? Do all books leave something lasting with you? What, if any, lasting impressions do you think this book will leave you with?

I really feel you are wiser once you read and discuss a book of this sort. Especially having a author like Lisa discussing her book with us so faithfully. I love thought revoking books that we read together with the author. You are learning so much more than just reading them alone. What you don't see, someone else sees. You do not miss any beauty of the book, or wisdom that transpires thru the read.
KPL
Contributor
KPL
0 Kudos

"Peony", "Snow Flower" (and a few others) will live with me forever. I think about them, (the characters, the scenes, the story) and then about my life and myself on a daily basis. I think I've changed....maybe not in actions, but certainly in thoughts. With "Peony" I re-read certain passages, underlined them, and then called my sister who read it right along with me. We talked for hours, and then called back the next day to share what'd come up in our minds overnight. I think the neat thing about all of this is the curiosity the book has inspired, causing me to look up "Peony Pavillion", "Lovesick Maidens" etc. etc. etc. This has really been an awakening of sorts, and I love how all of you write and share yourselves. I've been reading the posts daily, silently agreeing or disagreeing, and just loving it all. And I've made my occasional comments. I think the group is wonderful: full of tremendous perception, a lot of delving and questioning, great thoughts, unafraid to reveal very personal things, willing to venture into unknown realms, and bonding. And of course....to whom do we owe this: well, Lisa, of course, who has such a wonderful talent for weaving then with now as she obviously touches us so deeply with her expertise in not only writing from her heart, but bringing an old time to us. Because of these books, I've learned so much about China (things have become real rather than just historical) and life. Bottom line, I just wanna hug her. And you guys.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I really feel you are wiser once you read and discuss a book of this sort. Especially having a author like Lisa discussing her book with us so faithfully. I love thought revoking books that we read together with the author. You are learning so much more than just reading them alone. What you don't see, someone else sees. You do not miss any beauty of the book, or wisdom that transpires thru the read.

Ditto! :smileywink:
Vivian
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

From this book, I take away, first and foremost, a wonderful story; second, a sense of time, place, history, and culture; and third, an experience --- the experience of interaction among fellow readers with the author. I just doesn't get much better! :-)
I think all books leave something with you, assuming it is a book you finish. I rarely read a book I don't like because I am very careful in choosing what I read. However, even the books that were just OK do leave at least one tidbit with me. I can look back at the books I read and remember something about all of them.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

You guys!!! You're all too kind. Thank you so much. Hugs yo all of you too for your incredible questions and for sharing so many of your thoughts, lives, and emotions.

We're having a real lovefest around here!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:
You guys!!! You're all too kind. Thank you so much. Hugs yo all of you too for your incredible questions and for sharing so many of your thoughts, lives, and emotions.

maybe we have all tapped into our "mother love" :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

Did you mean "mother love" or "mother lode" (meaning valuable or in great abundance).
I think the experience has been very valuable and the synergy has been in great abundance.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

LisaSee wrote:

Did you mean "mother love" or "mother lode" (meaning valuable or in great abundance).
I think the experience has been very valuable and the synergy has been in great abundance.

I loved that Bentley! lol, dont make someone with bronchitis do a sudden laugh! :smileywink:. I think you are right, the mother lode is apropos to this experience too.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

HEYYY, I just added a signature to my postings now because I found a fitting one for reading and because this book had the affect on me of finding this one, a Chinese saying that says it all to me. :smileywink: Now...someone tell me how you do those italics and bold prints, so i can italicize it lol. Hey Lisa, if someone in other clubs comment on my signature (anything you want posted at bottom of all your posts if you set it up), well I just might have to mention that I got it during a bookclub about a book called "Peony in Love" by Lisa See. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vivico1 wrote:
HEYYY, I just added a signature to my postings now because I found a fitting one for reading and because this book had the affect on me of finding this one, a Chinese saying that says it all to me. :smileywink: Now...someone tell me how you do those italics and bold prints, so i can italicize it lol. Hey Lisa, if someone in other clubs comment on my signature (anything you want posted at bottom of all your posts if you set it up), well I just might have to mention that I got it during a bookclub about a book called "Peony in Love" by Lisa See. :smileywink:

for italics in front of the words and after the words and in back the one with the slash on it...funny thing the codes don't show up just the end result

for bold in front of the words and after the words

Same as above... and then after

I don't think you are going to see the codes:

try this:

http://www.wbi-icc.com/phpBB2/QuickReferenceGuide.htm

Message Edited by bentley on 09-26-2007 05:30 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

for italics in front of the words and after the words

huh??? lol what in front of the words and after the words? if it wont show here without doing it, spell which characters you mean or break them up ok? lol and thank you for the help, I will write it down when I get what you mean. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

huh??? lol what in front of the words and after the words? if it wont show here without doing it, spell which characters you mean or break them up ok? lol and thank you for the help, I will write it down when I get what you mean. :smileywink:

try this:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

try this:

thank you bentley, your my hero :smileyhappy:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

try this:

Glad that I am someone's hero..(lol)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

>

try this:

LOL, the brownies are on their way lol. Do you like brownies? lol :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 09-26-2007 05:01 PM
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

bentley wrote:

>

try this:

LOL, the brownies are on their way lol. Do you like brownies? lol :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 09-26-2007 05:01 PM

I absolutely love brownies..you now have me hungry thinking about them...I am now having one vicariously. (lol)
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I also got so much out of this book and even more out of our discussions. I knew this book would be one that I would really have to concentrate on. It wouldn't be one purely for entertainment purposes. I wanted to learn from it as well and I did. I got so much more out of it than I expected to. I thought it was an amazing story and Lisa told it in a beautiful, magical way. It came alive for me and while I was enjoying the story I was also learning about the Chinese culture and traditions. It meant so much more to me because of the discussions with all of you and all of Lisa's comments and answers to our questions. I still would have enjoyed the book but it wouldn't have been the same. The women in the story were begging to be heard and I thought it was very fitting for us to talk and share. I wonder what they would think if they knew how far their words have reached today.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-27-2007 02:25 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 241 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: