Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: HOW DO BOOKS AFFECT US

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
This has been a very interesting, entertaining and thought provoking book. When you read a book such as this, that clearly brought out many feelings in all of us, what do you take away from this book as you leave it? Do all books leave something lasting with you? What, if any, lasting impressions do you think this book will leave you with?

I really feel you are wiser once you read and discuss a book of this sort. Especially having a author like Lisa discussing her book with us so faithfully. I love thought revoking books that we read together with the author. You are learning so much more than just reading them alone. What you don't see, someone else sees. You do not miss any beauty of the book, or wisdom that transpires thru the read.

I also got so much out of this book and even more out of our discussions. I knew this book would be one that I would really have to concentrate on. It wouldn't be one purely for entertainment purposes. I wanted to learn from it as well and I did. I got so much more out of it than I expected to. I thought it was an amazing story and Lisa told it in a beautiful, magical way. It came alive for me and while I was enjoying the story I was also learning about the Chinese culture and traditions. It meant so much more to me because of the discussions with all of you and all of Lisa's comments and answers to our questions. I still would have enjoyed the book but it wouldn't have been the same. The women in the story were begging to be heard and I thought it was very fitting for us to talk and share. I wonder what they would think if they knew how far their words have reached today.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 09-27-2007 02:25 PM

Maybe they took a glance down from the Viewing Terrace and have smiled at us :smileywink: Hopefully, no one has tried to channel their writings through us tho :smileysurprised:, I like my own thoughts in my head, its crowded enough in there! LOL and if I were writing my own stuff and someone else's from beyond, oh boy, you think my posts are long now! lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:The women in the story were begging to be heard and I thought it was very fitting for us to talk and share. I wonder what they would think if they knew how far their words have reached today.

Maybe they took a glance down from the Viewing Terrace and have smiled at us :smileywink: Hopefully, no one has tried to channel their writings through us tho :smileysurprised:, I like my own thoughts in my head, its crowded enough in there! LOL and if I were writing my own stuff and someone else's from beyond, oh boy, you think my posts are long now! lol

You could have a club all by yourself Viv! :smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:The women in the story were begging to be heard and I thought it was very fitting for us to talk and share. I wonder what they would think if they knew how far their words have reached today.

You could have a club all by yourself Viv! :smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

all right smarty! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I wonder what they would think if they knew how far their words have reached today.

Wow! That takes this book and our discussion to a whole new level! I wonder...
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 76 members 1,236 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: