Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Please introduce yourself!

Please use this space to let us know something about you! How did you come across Peony in Love? Are you familiar with any of Lisa's other novels? Were you a part of our last group?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Please introduce yourself!

Hi! I am Laura from the south coast of Maine and a B&N discussion group regular.

I was lucky enough to participate in the discussion of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan with Lisa here on B&N. Consequently, there was no way I would pass up an opportunity to read and discuss another of Lisa's books. Historical fiction is my favorite genre and I love to learn about new places, so Lisa's books are right up my alley.

I am just through the first chapter, but Peony in Love promises to be a wonderful visit with the women of China.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. I have never read any of Lisa See's book before and while I like historical books and other genres, this one is not one my usual reads but I am willing to try something different. So, with a few friends, here I am.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. I have never read any of Lisa See's book before and while I like historical books and other genres, this one is not one my usual reads but I am willing to try something different. So, with a few friends, here I am.

Hi, I am Linda from Central Va. I am a old regular also. Just got through with Abundance and Many Splendid Suns with Rachel and now another one. I have read Snow Flower and the secret Fan but didn't get to join the last group. I love both books. I thoroughly enjoyed Snowflower and the secret fan, I learned so many of the customs of old China. I have read alot of Pearl Buck's books but learned so much more from Lisa's. Peony in Love is so different from any book I have ever read. I will further comment on this later on in the book.
Oh! hi Vivian. I see Cindy and Deb haven't made it yet. Talk at you later.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
Please use this space to let us know something about you! How did you come across Peony in Love? Are you familiar with any of Lisa's other novels? Were you a part of our last group?

Hi all,

Purchased the book over the weekend and have just started reading it. I have spent a lot of time in China and have been very interested in the old customs and culture.

Alongwith Fozzie's recommendation, that was one of the reasons that I decided to read "Peony in Love".

Bentley
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:
Hi! I am Laura from the south coast of Maine and a B&N discussion group regular.

I was lucky enough to participate in the discussion of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan with Lisa here on B&N. Consequently, there was no way I would pass up an opportunity to read and discuss another of Lisa's books. Historical fiction is my favorite genre and I love to learn about new places, so Lisa's books are right up my alley.

I am just through the first chapter, but Peony in Love promises to be a wonderful visit with the women of China.

Laura,

It's so nice to have you here again.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

Vivian and Laura, Are you all part of a book group?
Contributor
margoolio
0 Kudos

My name is Megan and I am from PA. I have never read any of Lisa See's books but Peony looked interesting so I thought I would give it a chance. So far I have not been able to put the book down and I am enjoying the story very much.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LisaSee wrote:

I am not a member of any face to face book groups.

I have talked with Vivian here on B&N in other book discussions, I believe. I have also talked with kiakar and Bentley in other B&N discussions too.

Message Edited by Fozzie on 09-04-2007 12:47 PM
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaSee wrote:

Lisa, just a part of a little group in here that have become friends and do a book each month together. Last month we had one of our own in the community room too because there was a book we wanted to read together and it wasnt on here lol. There is Kiakar, who has read your books before, so she chose for us this month, then me, Cindersue and Wrighty should be along any time now and we are all new to your books. But we are all trying different things from each others favorites, so we will all be here too! :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

I love that some of you have met before in other B&N book groups. I think they're a lot of fun. Last time, we had people from all around the world. Ages ranged from 14 to 85. Pretty amazing!
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Lisa and All--

I'm looking forward to discussing this book. It's been several months since I've read it, but really liked it. I love reading about different cultures.

I read the true story of your family, Lisa, On Gold Mountain.

Good to see familiar faces and new faces.

Later--

Mair
Reader
mjbond
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Melissa and I'm from Ohio. I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and it is one of my favorites. I recently bought Peony In Love and I'm looking forward to discussing it.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Melissa, aka Redcatlady. I've been in Snow Flower and in B&N groups with both Vivian and Laura, and I've been pushing for this book to be here ever since learning it was about to come out. Now, if only somebody would contact Shan Sa about agreeing to do Empress, about the only female emperor of China to rule in her own right, it'd be perfect.

Redcatlady
Contributor
purplepaigeturner
0 Kudos

Hi ! I am Paige from Montgomery Village, Maryland. I have had the pleasure of meeting Lisa twice. Both time she was appearing at Politics and Prose in Washington.
I first met her right after reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. And I again had the privilege of seeing her in July when she was there signing Peony in Love.
After first reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan I became such a fan I insisted it be read in 3 of my 5 (yes 5) face to face book groups. What can I say I'm an addict.
When I heard Peony in Love was coming out I could not wait. I got it the first day of publication and have since read it twice. I just love Lisa's books. Her style of writing and her subject matter touch me deeply.
When I saw that this group was starting I could not wait for it to start. This is my very first B&N Book Group and I am not sure what goes on.
Hi Lisa! Hope you are home and resting from your tour. You keep writing and I'll keep reading.
paige turner
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:
Lisa and All--

I'm looking forward to discussing this book. It's been several months since I've read it, but really liked it. I love reading about different cultures.

I read the true story of your family, Lisa, On Gold Mountain.

Good to see familiar faces and new faces.

Later--

Mair

I'm so glad you liked On Gold Mountain. That book is about my family, so it means a lot to me. As the years go by, it means more and more, since so many of the people I wrote about are gone now. But I still get to visit them, be with them, and hear them when I look through that book.
Author
LisaSee
0 Kudos

purplepaigeturner wrote:
Hi ! I am Paige from Montgomery Village, Maryland. I have had the pleasure of meeting Lisa twice. Both time she was appearing at Politics and Prose in Washington.
I first met her right after reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. And I again had the privilege of seeing her in July when she was there signing Peony in Love.
After first reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan I became such a fan I insisted it be read in 3 of my 5 (yes 5) face to face book groups. What can I say I'm an addict.
When I heard Peony in Love was coming out I could not wait. I got it the first day of publication and have since read it twice. I just love Lisa's books. Her style of writing and her subject matter touch me deeply.
When I saw that this group was starting I could not wait for it to start. This is my very first B&N Book Group and I am not sure what goes on.
Hi Lisa! Hope you are home and resting from your tour. You keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Paige,
\
How fun to see you here! We talk by e-mail, see each other at book signings, and now this! I think it will be a neat new way to talk about books and writing.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Debbie from NY state. I'm a bit behind with getting the kids ready for school, etc. I've done a lot of clubs here, usually with my friends Vivico, Kiakar and Cindersue. This is my first Lisa See book and I've only read a few in the past that involve the Chinese culture. I'm only about 60 pages into this story but I'm trying to take my time and pay attention to the details. Lisa, I'm amazed at your vast knowledge and fascinated by all of the information you have in this book. I had to look up foot binding on the internet to really see what it looked like. The things we women do for beauty!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
Hi I'm Debbie from NY state. I'm a bit behind with getting the kids ready for school, etc. I've done a lot of clubs here, usually with my friends Vivico, Kiakar and Cindersue. This is my first Lisa See book and I've only read a few in the past that involve the Chinese culture. I'm only about 60 pages into this story but I'm trying to take my time and pay attention to the details. Lisa, I'm amazed at your vast knowledge and fascinated by all of the information you have in this book. I had to look up foot binding on the internet to really see what it looked like. The things we women do for beauty!

Wrighty, did you ever see the movie The Inn of the Sixth Happiness? its a very old movie with Ingrid Bergman going to China as a missionary alone and the things she does there. One of the things she tries to do away with is foot binding of the little girls. It is based on the true story of Gladys Aylward who in the 1930's went to China and became famous not so much for her missionary work but for leading over 100 children to safety in enemy territory during the Japanese_Chinese war. Anyway, in the movie when she is trying to get the mothers to stop this barbaric act, some husbands come and sweep up the girls, some mothers do but they are standing there listening as one mother is crying with her daughter whose feet they are about to bind. She talks to these women, pleads with them asked them to let her loosen some of them. Finally this grandmother sits and starts to unbind her own feet, Gladys is scared for her and what it could mean for her and how it might hurt her to do so, she doesnt know. The grandma in this film is a real Chinese woman who really did have her feet bound and she does take of the bindings and you actually see her foot all broken and folded over, looking like what you will find on the internet, but more visual in a movie format. She does it to help stop the others and the women do stop. I saw this movie again just recently, bought it at Walmart in one of their cheap movie bins and had forgotten that part. I was amazed they showed it in that old a movie, but they didnt do it with some gasp or horrific music behind it, but in the powerful way of showing it and showing a grandmothers love to finally come forth and say stop.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Cindersue the "yankee" from IL. I've been reading different books each month, thanks to joining this online book club. I enjoy reading books with historical info in them, too. I am really bad with the Chinese culture, so I will try to keep up with the book. I also enjoy a good love story. Look forward to meeting everyone, especially the author. :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 172 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: